GWTW Forum
December 16, 2017, 06:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: String Art Revolution  (Read 5284 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: January 21, 2015, 08:18 PM »

I couldn't resist getting one of these LE 'Spirograph' beauties while down in Treasure Island this week!

It really does looks awesome backlit from the sun!
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 01:16 AM »

Wow! How do they get that sail?
Is that offset printing on white Icarex?

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:37 AM »

no way it's offset printed, (that's a way too expensive process for a few quantity pieces or a one-off) probably dye-sublimation or inkjet and it has to be heat-set also

it could be screen printed (if so you can feel the thick edge on the image with a finger tip and the kite is opaque at the image to any type of light

The only icarex (polycarbonate coated polyester) dye coloring products I know about used to come from a guy kite-squid (Harold Ames).  His formula for success was to use acid etch dyes (EPA\stage 3 respirator) with two atmospheres of pressure plus 240 degrees (*cooked in an autoclave*).  If you see Red, White & Blue tie-dyed Icy I'm bettin' it was from him.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:57 AM by REVflyer » Logged
kwmf

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27 AM »

Dye Sublimation by the Los Hermanos brothers ... just like the Polos and all the other printed sails (team and special editions)

photogbill

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:13 AM »

It's my understanding that it's a dye sublimation process as well! According to information I learned on the Rev Forum, it was tried on different colored Icarex but they ended up using black because the colors came out more vivid and bold on black. There is no raised texture from the process and the color shows vividly through both sides of the sail.

Also, my understanding is that all the color variations (mine is called Rainbow Gradient) were done in limited quantities and that some have already been 'sold out' ...though they might be available at individual kite shops. I got the last Rainbow Gradient he had from the kite shop at the Treasure Island event, although I believe he might have had one or two other color combos still available. I opted for the 'green' race rods since I'd been wanting to try them and already have a set of the black race rods!

I would not have known that these beautiful creations were even available had I not been down at the TISKC event and seen them from the kite shop beach-front tent/store that sponsored the event. Afterwards, I went online and there wasn't any information on the Revolution web site ...that I could find ...other than on their chat 'Forum'. it's mainly been an 'insider' ...word of mouth kinda promotion. Based on the immediate and rave reviews they received on these kites from dedicated Rev fliers, I can't imagine they (Rev) will not offer something similar in the future to further sales ....(pure speculation on my part) ... but as of now, it's a get them while you can kind of thing!

They really are visually stunning ...especially when back-lit by the sun! The colors shimmer & glow.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:17 AM by photogbill » Logged
aaron j.
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 01:38 PM »

That is just awesome! Would love to have one of these.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 03:51 PM »

Sorry Aaron, it would clash too much with that enigma

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
aaron j.
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 07:24 PM »

I know right! It would be a beautiful sight to see them together!
photogbill

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 06:05 AM »

Be careful what you wish for! Memorial Day weekend is on the horizon!  Cheesy
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 09:06 AM »

psychedelic overload!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:37 AM »

They are awesome. I got one of the original prints. They look terrific when you get the sun lower on the horizon shining through. A sight to see.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 10:35 AM »

It's my understanding that it's a dye sublimation process as well! According to information I learned on the Rev Forum, it was tried on different colored Icarex but they ended up using black because the colors came out more vivid and bold on black. There is no raised texture from the process and the color shows vividly through both sides of the sail.

OK sublimation sounds good.
However, I just cannot believe that printing on black the colors show well on both sides!
Either they printed both sides or they printed on white Icarex where the final black background is also printed with the sublimated dye.

Can you find any trace of white material there?

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
sadsack

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 11:04 AM »

Thief, that is a good one.

Whats that in the sky?Huh
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 03:46 PM »

OK sublimation sounds good.
However, I just cannot believe that printing on black the colors show well on both sides!
Either they printed both sides or they printed on white Icarex where the final black background is also printed with the sublimated dye.

Can you find any trace of white material there?

None whatsoever. It's as black as you can see.
stapp59
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 08:39 AM »

Couldn't resist.  Apologies to all involved - especially the viewers  Cheesy

Team fly?  Huh

Pretty Rev btw.  Cool

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:49 AM by stapp59 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom