GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 03:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: harbor freight kite  (Read 3628 times)
dan catalyst
Trade Count: (0)
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:51 AM »

anyone seen the delta stunt kite from harbor freight? http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/92000-92999/92588.pdf i know,i know this thing is a piece of junk.glass rods,pretty ugly and needs the bridal re strung right out of the box,but ive been fling it and for $10 i dont mind even letting my &yr old little brother fly it.ive learned alot on it,and offer to let anyone fly it who stops on the beach to watch.its pretty tuogh,but pretty heavy too.inland, i dont think this thing would see much air time.maybe in chicago,lol. it comes with rings to attach the flight lines,but i re worked that into the adjustable bridal thing found here.i also got some straps for it.out of the box,it was nosing in on me,so i gave the nose a little more line and it flys ok in higher wind.i think its just to heavy/bad design to roll-up,so im shopping for my next kite.i want a jest of eve,but will most likley be getting one of those $35 3d's from the deal section on here.im broke,and in school so even $35 is pushin the budget pretty hard,but i do love to fly!any sujestions for me?like re framing the harbor freight kite with carbon? or should i just buy the 3d? or any tips at all would be great. thanks!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:07 AM by dan catalyst » Logged
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 04:36 PM »

welcome to the world of sport kites.  Grin

Fdeli
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 04:47 PM »

I would not recommend the 3D. It will probably be somewhat frustrating and you will end up spending more for something later on. Reframing the kite will probably not improve it much. You would be better off saving the money for a better kite.

I would recommend watching the listings in the swap meet section of this forum. You can get some really good deals there.

Where are you located? There might be some folks nearby who can give you some pointers.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 07:14 PM »

Hi Dan, and welcome.

There's a lot of kites available between a Jest of Eve kite and $35. I also would not recommend the 3-D, no matter what the price. I'd get something a bit larger for my second kite, maybe around 6-7 ft span, carbon sparred, mid wind range. Always consider the want ad forum, because used kites can be a great value, and kite flyers are a fickle bunch, and keen to update often.

Lee
dan catalyst
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:39 PM »

thanks guys, are there kites that go for around $50 on the swap meet often? i have this tank for heavy wind,and often their is light wind so should i look for a ul kite,or will everything feel like a ultralight in comparison? im also in carolina beach,nc if anyone knows of any events or people in the area.i went flying on a crowded beach today,wind was just too perfect not to.10mph steady,and gusting to 15ish.i pointed the nose out a little more and was able to stab it pretty hard into the sand.i had to pull it out by hand a couple times.thats one cool thing about this kite,its tough.i did notice that the plastic pieces that hold the spars to the leading edge are digging into the sail a little causing some fraying.these plastic pieces kind of slide around,should i glue them to the l.e.?
kevin
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 07:53 PM »

I would recommend watching the listings in the swap meet section of this forum. You can get some really good deals there.

I would recommend calling Steve @ GWTW who happens to own this forum *and* a kite shop.  You can get some really good deals there.
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:26 AM »

I taught my 4yr and 6yr old sons (at the time) how to fly on 3ds.  The old ones can take a lot of abuse.

Ron
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 04:29 AM »

I might suggest that you go to the "Wanted" area and make a posting for a Nighthawk. A used Nighthawk might be in your price range and they're a decent kite for beginners.

Bob D.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:26 PM »

beetle http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=26
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:30 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum