GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 11:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynamite Bridle  (Read 1836 times)
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: July 12, 2009, 06:24 AM »

I have a New Tech Dynamite and would like to know if upgrading or changing the 3 point bridle that comes with it,will improve its performance?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:52 AM »

It is probably fair to say:

Changing the bridle might make the kite perform more toward how you want it.

Performance is in the eye of the pilot. There are many kite flyers who set their kites in a way I hate. That doesn't make any of us wrong.

Record the lengths of each line on your present bridle in case you want to return the bridle to stock. Then have fun tinkering with the bridle.

A quick and easy mod is to merely wrap the upper leg of the bridle around the US connector once. That will move the tow point up and in. This should make the kite fly in a bit less wind and spin faster. It takes about 10 seconds to do and is easy to undo after an evaluation fly. Good luck.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:04 PM »

Probably the most helpful (at least to me) bridle information can found on Andy Wardley's website, presently Wardley.org  Also quite a bit about a man I've always found brilliant and fascinating. The nice thing about using the Dynamite as a test mule is that you can probably find a couple more for cheap around here, so you can keep one stock, and have one or more to try in comparisson.

The real question for me is how Chilese got the Coast Guard to lift his Dynamite for that picture Cheesy
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 10:49 PM »

A second question - What is the Coast Guard doing in Vegas?

(Probably a silly question!)

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:15 AM »

What aspect of its performance are you dissatisfied with?

Most bridle adjustments are tradeoffs, improving one thing at the expense of another. Give us some idea what you're looking for and we may be able to offer some suggestions.

tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:42 AM »

Thanks guys. I was just wondering ,with all the different types of bridles that present day kites comes with,it would be interesting to know how an old school type kite would fly.Not that i am dissatisfied with the 3 point bridle of the Dynamite ,  because it can do most tricks, bar a few new ones, but just wondering.
inewham

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:40 AM »

Not that i am dissatisfied with the 3 point bridle of the Dynamite

Actually many modern pitch happy kites have gone back to a 3 point bridle, just with the tow points set lower and wider.

Changing the bridle won't turn it into a yo-yo monster, that has more to do with the sail but you could try a few things if you're curious:

- set the towpoints a little lower and wider in the style of newer kites, but ISTR the Dynamite felt a bit heavy anyway

- move the towpoints up and in a bit to make the kite a little more responsive in light winds, as John says try a loop around the top spreader 1st

- try an Andy Wardley crossactive bridle, dead easy to add to your existing bridle

- you might even be able to make your existing bridle into a Turbo, see Andy Wardley's page for a method for doing this to your existing bridle

I've got some basic guff about bridles here http://www.iannewham.com/kitedesign/bridling.html if that's any help

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:55 PM »

The Seduction is basically and Dynamite with better materials and an active bridle. I'd say that that bridle would be the logical upgrade for you. New Tech could give you the dimensions. They were on the old GWTW Forum...  Sad

Generally speaking, bridle changes are more for tuning (even upgrading to an active from a static) than for wholesale changes to a kite's capability. Bridle changes tend to effect flight characteristics more obviously than slack line tricks. Major changes, like getting a kite to YoYo that wasn't designed for it, generally include spreader widths, standoff length & placement and of course, balance/mass changes.

You can do a lot of tuning to the Dyno, that's what the Seduction was the result of, but it's still gonna be an old-school style kite. Decide what you want and we could figure out if the kite will ever be able to do it.

Allen, AKA kitehead
normofthenorth

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 10:09 PM »

Dodd did prefer the Dynamite with a Seduction-style active bridle, and posted dimensions for one on the old version of this forum. My computer probably still has that file, if you can't find it anywhere else. I installed it on my own Dynamite some years ago, while also keeping the original bridle. It was a bit "busy", but the two didn't really bother each other.

I'm not much of a trickster, and to make matters worse, I got busy buying and flying newer kites (including a few of Dodd's) very soon afterwards (and spending more time with fighters!), so I never gave the two bridles a serious A-B test.

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change