GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 02:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Precision Tails?  (Read 2447 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: July 12, 2009, 07:26 AM »

Is there such a thing as precision tails? Say you have the best precision flyer in the world carving out the sharpest 90 degree boxes with the best precision dual line kite in the world on 120's. Is it possible to have a tail that follows the exact path of the kite to the degree such that you could literally be drawing a box in the sky?

Food for thought...
Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:40 AM »

You mean have the portion of the tail prior to each 90 degree turn stay pinned in position in the sky, and not fall under the influence of the current trajectory of the kite, the weight of the tail before and after it, or the currents in the air?

No.  I'd think leaving a smoke trail is probably the best shot you'd have at that.
gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:18 AM »

No.  I'd think leaving a smoke trail is probably the best shot you'd have at that.

Woah!! I think you've just invented something. Smokebombs on kites. Probably has already been done though. It might be a good anti-dog device or a cure for,,, Oh, I think I'll just walk right in front of this kiteflyer and hangout where he's flying. (kind of doubt it on the last one)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:10 AM »

Is there such a thing as precision tails?

It's talk like that which really brings out the moderator in me

Precision tails Huh What next.... trick socks ?!?!?!

Mike,
11: thou shalt not besmirch thy kite with a poncy tail.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:11 AM »

This could be interesting. I'd want to test it on an old cheap kite before attempting to put them on more expensive kites. If it was fitted properly, it could be REALLY cool. They are used on RC Planes. check out the link:
http://www.rcsmoke.com/

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:19 AM »

Is there such a thing as precision tails?

Precision tails Huh What next.... trick socks ?!?!?!

Mike,
11: thou shalt not besmirch thy kite with a poncy tail.

The smoke is what's next Mike, the smoke Smiley. Much more exciting! if things go terribly wrong we will have Phoenix kites Wink

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:43 PM »

What next.... trick socks ?!?!?!

When kite flying doesn't attract beach bunnies, stuff trick socks in the front side of your underwear.  Tongue

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 06:52 PM »

Cheesy @ zippy

Fdeli
lasapcheong

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 06:58 PM »

Hmm...what if the kite was setup to be nose forward super fast, not the typical Team kites with heavy set bridles. Maybe with a Micron or something like that (provided you can tame the speed first)

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
lasapcheong

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 11:49 PM »

What next.... trick socks ?!?!?!

When kite flying doesn't attract beach bunnies, stuff trick socks in the front side of your underwear.  Tongue

I was about to link to an infamous photo shoot of the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the 90s but that would be bordering on the rules here. Huh

-Darryl

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 06:09 PM »

do it anyway! Cool

"Do what you like"
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 08:52 PM »

You mean have the portion of the tail prior to each 90 degree turn stay pinned in position in the sky, and not fall under the influence of the current trajectory of the kite, the weight of the tail before and after it, or the currents in the air?

Smokers have been used in the past...by many of us old CLPA Control Line Precision Aerobatic  stunt model flyers.
I flew competition control line stunt before I was addicted to the wind BY KATHY GOODWIND and her addicted co-workers and legions of addicted kite flyers.
These models today are quickly changing over to Electric power but still the best flyers in the world competitions are using gas model engines with tuned pipes that put out a long trail of blue-white trails of smoke.
Unfortunately due to the circle flight path..these models on 70 ft. of multi strand steel .018 dia. line, the smoke trail gets pretty much torn up and these models go through a series of pre planned maneuvers....
check out  www.stunthanger.com  and see some pretty intense bunch of old kids...compete with their toy airplanes at the nationals that was held in Muncie last week.
Here are two attached photos...showing some of the smoke scene.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:09 PM by Sketch » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change