GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 02:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats your favorite kite line for your big kites?  (Read 4914 times)
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 13, 2009, 01:27 PM »

I'm planning to fly some big (not huge) kites and was wondering what you guys are using as far as kite line.

Here is what I found (in the 500# up to 1200# range) :

a) Climax Dacron "Blackline"
b) Generic white dacron line
c) Gomberg black dacron line

My first choice would of been the climax line, but its too hard to get a hold of. Nobody has it.

So I did not take any chances and went with what David of Gomberg is holding. He is holding some black spliceable dacron line that goes up to 500# and then some heavy duty dacron line for up to 1200#.

The only thing... he only caries black line. I hope it won't be too annoying to see the line all the time.

I can see some benefits for safety, considering people can pass by and not see the line. And its going to be hard to stain it Wink

David's prices are higher, but in the end, I guess I did not want to take any chances loosing a kite to some poor quality line.

What are you guys using?

Daniel Shane
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:51 PM »

The Gomberg line is good stuff and I like better than the white generic.  The price maybe somewhat higher but when you;ve got a $150-$400 kite out there on the end of the line, you want a line that is reliable.  And Dave does have a reputation for quality products.

To make your flying lines more visible to people who will be wandering by,  stop at Home Depot or Builders' Square or some other building supply compand and buy a roll of plastic "CAUTION" tape.  When needed, unwind three to four feet, tear it off, and tie that section to your flying line at eye level.

It's inexpensive and warns people of the line.

Gardner
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:59 PM »

1+ on Gomberg's black line. Its top quality line and easy to handle. Well worth the price.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
crunchie

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:09 PM »

Wow, happy to see I made a good choice Smiley

Daniel
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:25 PM »

I like the Gomberg black dacron line.

The one caveat is visibilty.  While you can mark it with Caution tape, to prevent garroting civilians (although there might be instances where that is a secondary concern  Huh  Roll Eyes).  Making it visible for (yourself) when you are flying something active like the 61/49 is a bit more problematic.  The black dacron tends to go stealth on healthy grass.

That said, I like it's handling characteristics enough to still carry it. For less active SLKs the concern is moot. 

ATB,
Sam
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00 PM »

crunchie.....what you gonna fly?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?
do yo u need 1200#?Huh
i had a Skyfoil that i flew on 1200# line...i liked it for two reasons...heavy duty.....(unless a 6' flexi crosses it)...and thick..easier to handle.....
get a pair of sailing gloves for more traction/friction when hauling on that line.....

so....what you got to fly?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
crunchie

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 03:18 PM »

Well, I have two kites here that are waiting for the 1200 pounder to fly :

a) The mega sled from Barbara Meyer
b) The 11 (or is that 12ft) rokkaku from Reza (the eagle of paradox)

Although not "huge", they can harness the wind pretty good. 1200# is a safe line for these. I could probably cheat with some 500# or 700# line in most occasions, but do I really want to take the chance if the winds build up?

Daniel
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 03:49 PM »

personally i would shoot for 300# for both of those kites....500# if it is about 15mph or above OR if you have a bunch of line laundry hanging.....
the 1200# line weighs a good bit....(i am shipping out a box of gomberg line 1200# x 300'....weights 2 pounds)....ugh....a 12' rok will not be able to lift it very well........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 04:23 PM »

I wouldn't fly the Meyer Mega Sled on light line unless the wind's light enough to barely lift it. It pulls pretty good and the thinner line is harder to grip and manage. I usually use black 500# which is 3mm and easier to handle.

That said, I've flown that sled in heavy wind where I couldn't get enough slack to get another wrap around the carabiner (where's the pucker emoticon?  Huh), and that was on 750# GKPI black dac. It's a good weight for it.

I like the black dacron. It doesn't show the dirt as readily as the white and looks good in the sky. Steve has a bunch of it in the lighter weights and can get you the heavier line, too.

Get a strap and carabiners for the ground anchor. That'll take care of the ground visibility issue regardless of whether you're flying white or black line.

Bob
crunchie

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 04:26 PM »

Well I have 500 and 250 lbs too. Its just that if the winds are pulling I'd prefer to have a good safety margin.

If the kite can lift the line I'll be more at ease if the winds start going strong.

You can't blame someone for being too careful Smiley

Daniel Shane
Hal

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 06:56 PM »

I got it from Barbara herself when I bought my Mega Sled - 500# is enough for most conditions.  So I got a roll of Dave's black line and have had no problems with it in a variety of winds.  Good feel, easy to tie.

Hal
Helena, MT
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:16 PM »

The power sled rec's from Premier are confusing, they say 500 lb on the standards, 1000 lb on the Barb Myer although they are the same size. I went with 1000 lb and have been greatful since these things PULL, the larger line is easier on the hands, I doubt I could hold 500 lb with gloves.

Yes there are times you might have to grab that line by hand although you probably should avoid it. I have hand held the kite in winds around 15 mph for a contest, I caribineer a dog leash to the line for a more secure grip.

I got a generic line from a commercial fishing store, less then 1/2 the price of the kite stores and exactly the same stuff they had, but from a fishing store it's not garanteed to be one length, mine was two pieces, one was around 650' the other 350', both more then useable. The Gomberg line is much nicer though, but I bought the kite at a festival & wanted to fly it NOW, not wait for line.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ainokea

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 07:29 PM »

David's Dacron lines are the lines to use for all big kites, or small. I've never had any problems
with any of his lines in all wind conditions. Plus a black line looks really cool.  Cool 

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
rodbuggy

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 11:02 PM »

All of my big kites are flown on Gomberg's black dacron.  I've been using it for years and never had a problem.  I figure why mess with sucess.
Fore Check

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 04:05 PM »

Another benefit of David's black dacron is that it has more stretch in it than the white line I got from Hang 'em High fabrics (sorry, don't remember the manufacturer of the white line.)  This stretchiness acts like a bit of a shock absorber when the wind is inconsistent.  I use the black 500# on my Air Affairs Sutton 60 and my WhataKite Pit Bulldog 75 parafoil; I use David's 1200# black line on my Air Affairs Sutton 252.  I have flown the 500# line on some of my larger box kites but have since found 250-300 to be quite sufficient (I have both.)

On that black vs. white mention above, that's on 500# line by the way.

So, I fly with the black line mostly and I've used the white line on some bridles.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum