GWTW Forum
November 01, 2014, 03:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wasn't Expecting To Do That Today  (Read 1944 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 13, 2009, 06:35 PM »

Bambi and I went to the new Gold's Gym in our area. It's further away than our normal one, but it's supposed to be very nice: lap pool, treadmill/bicycle media room with continuous movie playing (today was Days Of Thunder).

They also had a basketball court with 6 hoops around the perimeter, but the main 2 hoops were on a 3/4 size full court setup. I had done some bicycle warm ups so went in to see how much I'd lost in 4 years. Then these guys come up and say they need 1 more to play full court. The big guy asks if I can play and I tell him yeah. He says, "Good, you guard the kid." He points to the one teenager on the court. Everyone else is in their 30s and 40s.

I actually scored the first basket and survived. We lost 11-9 and my teen opponent outscored me 2-1. But I wasn't the worst on the court although far from the best. My goal was to walk out under my own power after the game.

After the shower, Bambi was waiting at the front and asked, "What happened? You look like crap." My skin was still very red and I was going through my oxygen debt recovery time. I'm nursing a tight calf, but smiling inwardly that I got a few nods and handshakes when I left.

I was never really good at the game, but always enjoyed the teamwork aspect of it. Think I'll go fly a kite and stand in one spot and have a long sleep tonight. Maybe some Motrin™ too.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 06:51 PM »

"What happened? You look like crap." My skin was still very red and I was going through my oxygen debt recovery time. I'm nursing a tight calf, but smiling inwardly that I got ...

... 12 gallons of Weed-B-Gon sprayed on landscape beds and grass. Your method body abuse would have been a lot more gratifying and fun.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:09 AM »

John, I think it's amazing that you can still dunk.
RonG
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:26 AM »

Good for you John.  Always fun to make the younger guys (grudgingly) give you some respect  Cool
obijuankenobe

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:22 AM »

Sorry, but I don't think he can still dunk.  I am not quite old yet...but that is one of the first things in the basketball toolbox that leaves never to return.

Just great that you got back out on the court.  Farther than I've gotten in years.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
fuw3

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:44 AM »

Good for you John.  Always fun to make the younger guys (grudgingly) give you some respect  Cool

Don't disrespect the family...  Wink

Wayne
Prism Junkie
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:39 PM »

Think I'll go fly a kite and stand in one spot and have a long sleep tonight. Maybe some Motrin™ too.  Roll Eyes

I've said it before John,

Ain't getting old a bitch

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

John Welden

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 02:28 PM »

Sorry, but I don't think he can still dunk.  I am not quite old yet...but that is one of the first things in the basketball toolbox that leaves never to return.

Just great that you got back out on the court.  Farther than I've gotten in years.

obi

No, he still has amazing vertical.  Ya sure, he can't do a Jordanesq launch from the free throw line, but the old man still has mad hops.

Have you ever seen his hands? When he's palming a basketball it looks as if he's holding a tennis ball.

I doubt he dunked in his last game for fear of shattering the backboard.  Those things are pricey.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 05:10 PM »

I almost went to Dunkin' Donuts Today.

Does that count?

Undecided
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 05:15 PM »

In my prime, I was able to touch about 1" up the net. Yes, both feet were off the ground at the same time. For a 5'9" overweight Italian, my strengths were/are passing, finding the open man and setting a pretty solid pick.

Thanks for the kind words JW. You brought a smile to my face.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Bob D

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 04:25 AM »

Atta way go, John!

I was never tall enough for basketball but I love cycling and have been riding for about 35 years. I decided that I needed to get back on the bike after being off of it for about 10 years due to various heart/pacemaker issues and frustration with hills. I decided that I needed to do something so I've got around 120 miles in this year since May.

I have a 10 mile route that has about 5 hills around 1/4 mile each (or more) and lots of smaller hills that require sprinting. I ride a 52/47 crank set and 13/24 cluster so there's no granny gears. My average speed is 12.7 mph in about 52 minutes and I can't seem to improve on it.

It is what it is. It's just important that the exercise is done.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:37 AM by bobdros » Logged

Bob D.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 08:34 AM »

so, come friday john should i be shouting out "HUSTLE UP" & "MOVE THOSE FEET"?  Cheesy

F¡deli°
John Welden

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 09:13 PM »

Heard John is going to be on ESPN tonight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change