GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 02:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with new Silver Fox 2.5 standard, please  (Read 5008 times)
facesnorth
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 08:44 PM »

Was thinking of opening a new thread, but this one will work fine considering there's not a whole lot of traffic.

I finally got the 2.5 in the air today, and did not like it very much, but I am wondering if something is wrong with the bridle.  Really it's been the least desirable kite I've flown so far in my short history, and that includes an HQ Floater, a New Tech Cherry Bomb, and an HQ Floater.  The bridle just doesn't feel right.  The inner part of the bridle is very slack.  The only way to keep the bridle taught would be to keep your arms spread apart by about 15', which is obviously not possible.  Overall I had a lot more fun with the Breeze today.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong, or maybe something can be adjusted.  But if everything is as it should be, then I can easily see this ending up another thread in this forum with the initials KYRB, and perhaps another one of the forum areas with the intials SM.   Cry

Started out in a baseball field with low winds and the kite was real heavy.  So I went to the top of a local mountain 2100 feet, Big Pocono State Park, and the winds were stronger and more consistent, although I didn't have an area to move around, pretty much had to stay put, but that was OK.  I flew the 2.5 100' 150#, 50' 50# and 75' ?# lines.  I only had time to mess with the bridle in the red bead position, didn't have time to try out the "turbo" setting aka the blue beads.

Ideas???
Untitled

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 08:55 PM »

sounds like you might have something not tied in the right spot.  all the slip knots should be behind only the blue or only the red beads.

facesnorth

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 09:15 PM »

Checked that, and they are all behind the red beads.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 09:23 PM »

Inches to cm and back has had a few definitions.

A quick Google™ led me to the very well known

1 meter = 39.37 inches

which has been rounded from

1 meter = 39.3700788 inches

Which translates into

36 inches = 91.440002 cm or even the easier 91.44 cm.

But 91.5 cm is just tacky, not exactly.   Wink

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
facesnorth

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 09:41 PM »

I know you're kidding but just to be clear I feel the spine length is good now, but the bridle is wonky.   Grin  Not sure if that's the design, or if something is off in my bridle.  Measurements of the bridle would be useful to see if mine is sectioned off properly.   Embarrassed
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53 PM »

Can you post a picture of the bridle with the kite assembled?  Something seems wrong - it should fly pretty well with no issues in reasonable wind.

The whole comment about keeping the bridle taut seems wrong - it should be taut in all respects as soon as you launch.

I can dig mine out and measure it tomorrow if you don't have the dimensions by then.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:57 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
facesnorth

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 09:57 PM »

I've been having trouble with my USB cables on my PC.  Basically affecting everything that involves plugging a USB in.  I will give it a shot though.
facesnorth

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 10:33 PM »

Working, pictures forthcoming in about 10 minutes.
facesnorth

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 11:08 PM »

Photobucket is impossibly slow now, so I opened a flickr account.
edit: this post doesn't seem to allow me to use the img feature to post the pics in the post.  I've seen others do it, but I'm not sure how.  Either my post count is not high enough and I don't have access, or opera 10 won't allow me to see it, or I'm doing something wrong.  I will just replace the img codes with url codes so you can click them yourself rather than view them in the post.

From this one you get an idea of how the inner bridle line has no tension when I'm pulling on my lines:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33452639@N02/3722304949/#

Here you can see that in order to make the bridle fully tense, you have to hold the lines wayyyy out to the sides:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33452639@N02/3722304955/#

Other side showing the same phenomenon:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33452639@N02/3722304963/#

Here is one last pic, which shows that the larks head above the last red bead, closest to where my lines attach, doesn't seem to do much, it can slide easily back and forth.  Here I've slid it to the middle and it doesn't mean anything:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33452639@N02/3722304971/#

By the way, I have the end caps off and the tension wire loose.  I forgot to fix that before taking the pics.  But it looks the same either way, has no effect on what I'm describing.

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:14 PM by facesnorth » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 11:55 PM »

Below is a hyperlinked photo of the bridle on a 2.5. If you go to the link and click on the magnifying glass, you will see the best picture I have of a stock bridle. The kite is flying in this photo.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:58 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
facesnorth

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 12:30 AM »

That looks very similar to mine, except yours is on the blue bridle in that pic.  I just adjusted mine to blue and compared and it looks similar.  Not sure what my problem is.  I may try flying on blue to see the difference.

Kind of similar in yours you see how the line seems to be pulled to the side in order to taught the bridle lines.

Note also that I tried flying it with just one of the brass weights, as well as the heavier black tail weight in addition to the one brass weight.

Something definitely felt way off.  Steering was not responsive.  It even seemed to favor one side.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 12:58 AM »

one thing you should know is not all people like all kites. some people get along with certain kites much better than other people. however this doesn't mean there's anything inherently wrong with a particular kite.

there may indeed be something wrong with your bridle, but there may not. once you get the measurements, verify and adjust as needed.

beyond all that though, my advice to you would be to fly, fly, fly. there's no substitute for experience and time on a kite can change the way it feels in your hands, and your impressions of it's faults and benefits.

so get out there and keep flying. Smiley

Fˇdeli°
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document