GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 05:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on types of event you attent  (Read 1368 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: July 14, 2009, 03:11 PM »

Not an announcement of an event but question really belongs in this forum...

There are not many (any?) kite festivals in my area (at least 9 hours away at the closest) but there are many events that request our club to fly. Last one was an outdoor expo, next one if a chili cookoff. I'm wonder how many people fly at these types of events as opposed to actual kite festivals. Are their people who almost always fly at non-kite festivals?

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:43 PM »

The Rogue Valley Windchasers flew at a Winery's open house last year.
Rx
EBGB

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:59 PM »

They can work out pretty good.
A lot depends on your hosts. If they're at least a little kiting savy, or they're at least ready to be good to the flyers, it can be good for both parties.

The Washington Kitefliers Association, the Pierce County Kiteflyers Association, and some of the Northwest Sport Kite League recently did a Strawberry and Kite Festival at a farm in Enumclaw, WA.
Turnout of fliers was pretty good, though the wind was a little flakey. They fed us burgers. Treated us like visiting dignataries, and made us feel very welcome.
And they had probably a lot more visitors than they would have.

Not what I'd think of as a natural fit, but I think everyone came away happy.

I've also been to one or two where the other party basically had no draw of their own, and were trying to cash in on kite fliers as free entertainment, but acted like we were working for them just the same.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:10 PM »

I went to a bluegrass/kite festival in Orting, WA last year that was fun. 

Not much wind that day as I recall, but there was bbq, bluegrass, and lots of conversation.  It was well attended by some great flyers - so it was a good opportunity to get some good advice and hear some interesting stories.

I'll go again this year, but I'll also be sure to bring my indoor kites.

6 kite tom
EBGB

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:25 AM »

Orting won't be at Orting this year!

August 1st, Chamber's Creek Meadow.
Much better chance of good wind!

No Bluegrass though - that's something the Orting Lions decided to add last year.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
Harrier

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:15 AM »

There are not many (any?) kite festivals in my area (at least 9 hours away at the closest) but there are many events that request our club to fly. Last one was an outdoor expo, next one if a chili cookoff. I'm wonder how many people fly at these types of events as opposed to actual kite festivals. Are their people who almost always fly at non-kite festivals?

Small local events are the sort of thing we mostly do these days, less hassle and we get to meet many more non kite folk who are generally more likely to come and ask questions than seems the case at festivals.
Several of us meet regularly on local fields and put quite large displays in the air which has brought many invitations to display at other events, the latest request, a regatta next weekend.
A couple of folk we fly with have large collections of kites and inflatables so tis not difficult to put on a reasonable show.

Sunday.

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44 PM »

Very Nice!!  Just where was this event??

Awesome vid Cool

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 05:18 AM »

our club attends the whole gambit of event styles, from the wineries, to local schools, helping kids at the NIH Children's Inn, military installations, fun flies like SunFest in Ocean City, formal competitions and international events, even big screen movie productions.

WOW generally bases our needs on mileage from ground zero (the Washington Monument).  Two hours is the maximum driving distance without lodging provisions being expected.  We always want a roped-off field, electricity, ice, bottled water and lunch.  Plus compensation for the sanctioning fee (liability insurance) if that applies.  Some events sponsor airfare, lodging, meals and all ground transportation.  Some events are such an honor we expect only a dedicated port-a-pottie for our use.  Like the Smithsonian Kite festival or the indoor fly within the Nat'l. Air and Space museum.

We may sell kite kits, frustrationless flyer with good line on a winder, (not that cotton crap!) or provide references for the organization to buy their own kits and string.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:35 PM »

In my case I'm usually alone or with one other flier. I belong to a club that is only one year old and not many fliers are around (that is another story). What I hear most every time from the people in charge is that they had no idea what was possible with kites. That is what I enjoy hearing! This weekend I'm headed down south about 4 hours to a chili cookoff. One of the vendors is a kite store in the area and I try to support her as much as possible by going to the events she's selling it.

I guess I do really miss going out to "real" kite festivals. Not that I don't enjoy every time I get to fly... but there is nothing like being around a few other freaks... I mean, kite flyers every now and again.  Smiley

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document