GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 04:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kite gear equipment to have in flite box  (Read 2327 times)
kiter
Trade Count: (0)
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:39 AM »

hi there
just wanted to know what kite accesories/gear you all have in your field /flite box if you have one and take to the field ?,
such as for example,gloves,quickie stake,scissors,tedlar repair tape,wrist wraps,finger straps,super glue,wind meter,clips,swivels
what else would you use or have in there ?
thank you.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:41 AM »

other than some of the things you mentioned:
business cards for my favorite kite shop in case anyone asks where to buy such things.
a sleeving tool in case a line breaks you can resleeve it on the spot.
vinyl end caps!
some bridle line (most recently used to stake a chair to keep it from blowing over again and again).
a small flashlight.

Fdeli
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:09 AM »

The only things you really need are kites, lines, and straps.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:54 AM »

I don't waste flying time fixing things in the field, so I just have lots of linesets, and lots of kites.
~Rob.

browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:25 AM »

Yeah i might fix it during a break, but you could leave the tools at home tho. Carrying lots of kites cold be a pain in the neck too Tongue
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:51 AM »

I had hacksaws, glue, fittings, weights, sleeving (which I never use Huh), a roll of bridle cord, tails for the kids and a sizeable bag of spare rods. I've hardly ever used any of them except to fix other peoples kites, in fact when I had a look in the rod bag recently it was full of other peoples broken sticks and almost no good ones  Roll Eyes Why did I lug all that around?

I've taken all that out now and thrown another kite in the space it left  Cool

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:16 AM »

3-4 pairs of gloves
wwwwwaaaaay too many HQ stakes, 6 titanium stakes, 3 quickie stakes
padded straps, contoured straps
two flashlights + spare batteries
cyanoacrylate (standard and gel formula), multi and single use containers
sleeving material
bulk line in various weights (spectra & dacron)
waaaaay too many cord locks
100 foot tape measure
spare winders
multi-tool
lighter
kitchen sink and spare fittings
I am sure there are other items I have missed.

oooh.... never mind.  You said field box.  I thought you said pockets.  Huh  Roll Eyes

Oddly enough we just had a discussion at a recent dinner as to who could pull out the strangest item out of their pockets.... closely followed by a comparative study of the different types of blades people carry.

ATB,
Sam

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:08 AM »

I also don't fix anything on the field - I just fly another kite and fix the broken one when I get back home.

I lighter and knife is the only thing I have in the car - in case the wind is not to my liking and I want to even out my linesets instead!  Smiley

6 kite tom
streamhawk

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 09:23 AM »

much like Tom, I carry almost nothing to the field in the way of repair stuff, except for super glue or some equivalent for loose ferrules mostly. Hard to get the sail flat for repair in wind for me, I'd rather do that type of work at home in a more controlled environment.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:50 AM »

Rolling papers?  Filter tips?  No Dutch kite bag is complete without these.   Cool

I am also one of those that repairs very little on the field.  This is just mother nature telling you to take another kite.   Wink 

In my FLIGHT box/bag, I do carry some stuff for quick repairs, like glue, a hack saw, as well as some extra ferrules and rods, but as was said earlier...these seem mostly for the kites of other pilots.   Cheesy

Summertime in Trondheim, Norway is blue sky all night long, but a headlamp is quite useful during the winter, indeed.  I also have a very small tripod in the bag (really really small), so that it's always available when I need it.  Remembering to bring the camera is another problem entirely.

obi 

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:04 AM »

iPod & headphones - don't leave home without 'em.

The repair & parts bags go in the van for full day flys & festivals, but for the average couple of hour trip to the field I don't take any hardware.

Allen, AKA kitehead
streamhawk

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 10:07 AM »

Rolling papers?  Filter tips?  No Dutch kite bag is complete without these.   Cool

oh? cool. I like you guys concept of "flying" then.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:58 PM »

I don't waste flying time fixing things in the field, so I just have lots of linesets, and lots of kites.
~Rob.
agree 100%
~rob too

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 12:59 PM »

Oddly enough we just had a discussion at a recent dinner as to who could pull out the strangest item out of their pockets.... closely followed by a comparative study of the different types of blades people carry.

but the number of knives we pulled was astounding for 4 of us!!!!!!
too bad Maggie did not appreciate it as much.....  Embarrassed

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 01:27 PM »

Coil of rope, large knife, duct tape, garbage bag, sling blade (some folks call it a Kaiser blade, I call it a sling blade)..... wait, wrong bag
 Just a pocket knife,,, all right then.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum