GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 01:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism E3 vs. Other High End Board Favorite Kites  (Read 9191 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 12:49 PM »

If you took away my Talon and gave me an E3, I'd quit flying kites.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 02:16 PM »

Truth to it all is that the ability of a kite to perform comes down to the pilot.  It doesn't matter how good the kite is made, it doesn't matter what material is used, doesn't even matter how the stitching is done.  If a pilot is a good enough pilot, they can make "just about" any kite perform like a high end $300.00 kite.  The E3 can jacobs ladder just as easy as the Exile.  As far as it's ability to perform (certain) tricks, the E3 is just as good a kite as some of the high end boutique kites.  Just because it is mass produced doesn't mean that it can't perform.  With a good enough pilot, the E3 is capable of doing some pretty amazing things that would impress even the best of the best.

Nice to see someone on this thread with a brain.

These jokers that think "high end" kites are way better don't know jack.  They remind of people who think expensive wine tastes better.  Then you tell them the bottle cost 6 bucks and they decide it's not as good as they thought.

I have no doubt what so ever you could change the sail graphics on the E3 and put a Benson label on it and they'd think it was the most amazing kite ever.

A lot of these guys want to believe they have something special and like to scoff at Prism's mass produced kites as if they're totally inferior.  They got their noses bent out of shape when Prism started manufacturing kites overseas.  It's all a big joke, don't fall for it.

Always remember that there are trade offs with all kite designs. The E3 is more of an all around design that doesn't have any radical tendencies.  If they had designed it to have radical pitch ability, than I doubt the target audience for the E3 would be very happy.  The kite wasn't designed for the .000001% of kite flyers who want a radical kite.  Does that mean it's an inferior design, no, it means it's a different design for a different kind of flyer. 

With that said, the E3 will take you as far as you want to reasonably go.  Trust me, it will do every trick in the book. Going out and buying a 400 dollar custom boutique kite isn't going to make you a better flier.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 02:28 PM »

If you took away my Talon and gave me an E3, I'd quit flying kites.

Denny

Why?

Allen, AKA kitehead
Beachbum
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 02:52 PM »

With that said, the E3 will take you as far as you want to reasonably go.  Trust me, it will do every trick in the book. Going out and buying a 400 dollar custom boutique kite isn't going to make you a better flier.

I really should of came out and said that with my Transfer XTr comment as it really did nothing for me, but I still want to emphasize if you try a kite and like it then go with it.  I am a firm believer that a someone should fly something they can "connect" with and not neccessarily have to change their own style to fly.  It kinda makes the learning process easier.

They remind of people who think expensive wine tastes better.  Then you tell them the bottle cost 6 bucks and they decide it's not as good as they thought.

Or $2 for us Charles Shaw fans

DWayne

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 02:59 PM »

Because I really enjoy flying my Talon and I really didn't enjoy flying the E2.

Denny

Beachbum
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 03:22 PM »

Bet you wouldn't say the same if it were an E1...
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 03:40 PM »

I am a firm believer that a someone should fly something they can "connect" with and not neccessarily have to change their own style to fly.  It kinda makes the learning process easier.

I agree. I have yet to "connect" with my Acrobatx.  Cry  But I did "connect" with my Muse.  Grin  Ground recoveries are so much easier. Flies in lighter winds. I got it used on the Swap Meet. Great deal. Great Kite.

Chris

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
anOldMan

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 03:41 PM »

Truth to it all is that the ability of a kite to perform comes down to the pilot.  It doesn't matter how good the kite is made, it doesn't matter what material is used, doesn't even matter how the stitching is done.  If a pilot is a good enough pilot, they can make "just about" any kite perform like a high end $300.00 kite.  The E3 can jacobs ladder just as easy as the Exile.  As far as it's ability to perform (certain) tricks, the E3 is just as good a kite as some of the high end boutique kites.  Just because it is mass produced doesn't mean that it can't perform.  With a good enough pilot, the E3 is capable of doing some pretty amazing things that would impress even the best of the best.

I think the operative word in this whole statement is "IF a pilot is a good enough pilot..."

What if he or she isn't???

I have no doubt what so ever you could change the sail graphics on the E3 and put a Benson label on it and they'd think it was the most amazing kite ever.

Have you ever flown a Benson Kite?Huh

The E3 is more of an all around design that doesn't have any radical tendencies.  If they had designed it to have radical pitch ability, than I doubt the target audience for the E3 would be very happy.

Really???

The kite wasn't designed for the .000001% of kite flyers who want a radical kite.

I think that more than 1 in 100,000 people who buy dual line kites want to do radical tricks!

With that said, the E3 will take you as far as you want to reasonably go.  Trust me, it will do every trick in the book. Going out and buying a 400 dollar custom boutique kite isn't going to make you a better flier.

I, personally, am NOT a reasonably person about kite flying. I want to become very good at it. So I buy the best tools that I can find to achieve that goal. A boutique kite will not guaranty that you will become a better kite flyer but it will speed up the process towards that goal.

A very personal opinion..., Please do not compare a Benson DS to a E3.  

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Beachbum
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 03:46 PM »

www.ickytv.org

If I flew that E1 like that back in the days I could have ruled the kite world.

On another tangent, does anyone have the old video of Mark Reed doing a disgusting amount of backspins with an Elixir using 20ft lines?
DWayne

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 04:12 PM »

Nice video. But I'll keep my Talon.

Denny

indigo_wolf

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 04:33 PM »

On another tangent, does anyone have the old video of Mark Reed doing a disgusting amount of backspins with an Elixir using 20ft lines?

Are you talking about the footage taken at Shoreline Park?
http://www.marindv.com/MReed_Elixir.html

ATB,
Sam
Beachbum
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 05:13 PM »

Yup, friggin awesome.  Does that count as a pioneering moment?
Dave a

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 05:36 PM »

Quote from: John Welden
They remind of people who think expensive wine tastes better.  Then you tell them the bottle cost 6 bucks and they decide it's not as good as they thought.
Spot on

Quote from: John Welden
And again.

Quote from: anOldMan
"...Have you ever flown a Benson Kite?..."

Yep, and sold it.
I was able to see past the label

Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 07:03 PM »

A lot of these guys want to believe they have something special and like to scoff at Prism's mass produced kites as if they're totally inferior.  They got their noses bent out of shape when Prism started manufacturing kites overseas.  It's all a big joke, don't fall for it.

The one place I'll disagree with you is regarding mass produced kites versus the artisan/boutique ones.  I would seriously doubt you can find a skilled laborer overseas who cares as much about the finished product as an artisan kite-maker who has followed his or her design from sketch to prototype through to production for the individuals who specifically seek them out.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 07:52 PM »

The one place I'll disagree with you is regarding mass produced kites versus the artisan/boutique ones.  I would seriously doubt you can find a skilled laborer overseas who cares as much about the finished product as an artisan kite-maker who has followed his or her design from sketch to prototype through to production for the individuals who specifically seek them out.

Gotta agree Jared,
I don't think anyone can put an E3 in the same leaque as a boutique/artisan's kite......just look at the price difference, and even in the Prism line the E2/E3/Zephyr.........compare them to the QPro Sad  Check out the materials, the stitching, the attention to detail.....those things are just not there with the mass produced kites no matter where they're made.......  It's not saying the E3 won't fly well, it's just saying there's a difference in quality, period.  I think Lam said it best, "Why would anyone buy ten $40 kites when they could buy one for the same price, that would hold up to whatever you threw at it?"
Granted, a newbie would be silly to fork out $500 for a kite never having flown, before. (and he wouldn't get to fly my Fearless's either) Roll Eyes

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document