GWTW Forum
September 19, 2018, 12:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enigma variations  (Read 23558 times)
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 06:17 PM »

Just watched Devin flying the Skyburner XL proto at KP 10  Huh  Wow, a nice flyer for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RssN3UqpY28

I remember this thread now after doing some searching:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=11762.0

Rob if that kite never made it into production how did you get your hands on it?  Tongue  What else would you want from a big kite over and above what the XL gives you now?

The SB XL is the closest I've seen to what I'd like to accomplish.  May have to send Jon a note Smiley

I have something to shoot for...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:23 PM by stapp59 » Logged
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 07:07 PM »

Rob if that kite never made it into production how did you get your hands on it?  Tongue

By me being a really nice guy when Marianne called a Rob that had asked it Smiley

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 08:06 PM »

I reframed the LEs of my Firestorms with Skyshark 8Ps.  You can get them in 40" lengths.  Toughens up the frame.  I fly them stacked with big tails.

I've been thinking about re-framing the Firestorm... next time I break a stick, I think. The Firestorm is a higher aspect kite, flies more with an old school feel, but it can fly well into UL territory in the stock configuration. The Skyburner XL needs around 5mph to get off the ground, but as you can see in Devin's video, it can really be smacked around.

Rob if that kite never made it into production how did you get your hands on it?  Tongue  What else would you want from a big kite over and above what the XL gives you now?

Really, I couldn't ask for more from the kite. It's trickier than I am, it can handle higher winds than I would fly it in. My favorite kind of flying is low-wind flying, so I might wish that it could fly in a little lower winds, but that would be my only small complaint. That, of course, is a huge trade-off, because if it were lighter, it would be more prone to breakage. Why would I want an Enigmax ? Mostly the design... I love the way your kites look !

http://youtu.be/exAlgrG1fFU?t=1m45s

Skip to 1:45... Sorry the video's long, I never took the time to cut it down, but it gives an idea why I like to fly BIG kites.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 08:44 PM »

I am aware of these ~10' kites from days past.  I'm sure there are others.

PBSK Centurion
Prism Total Eclipse
TOTL NSR Windrule
Dodd NT Firestorm
Big Easy XXL, MEFM Maxi (RayB)
Skyburner ?? (old skool)

10' Spectra Sports Reactor Plus
10' Chicago Fire Magnum Opus (and 12' Extra Large Magnum Opus "ELMO")

Like the Windrule, extra large versions of an 8' standard kite. Neither were all that great IMHO. The Windrule was excellent.

The Flying Wings California Condor was a good kite.

But all this is old skool.

The Skyburner is one of the only 3m modern trick kites I can remember. I only flew it a minute or two but was surprised by how agile it is.

I had an SUL framed Firestorm that was nice for slo-mo 540s, but very limited. Not a really great design, but fun.

Allen, AKA kitehead
stapp59
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 08:58 PM »

Thanks folks for the info on the additional 10' kites not on my list. There aren't that many really with the Skyburner XL the most modern and trick capable design of the bunch.  Funny how I missed that thread when the XL was discussed a few years back.

Rob you have a nice video and I see why you like the bigger kite. Checking with K&FT you also have the only prototype and it is very unlikely there will be a production run.  Maybe Jon would reconsider if we sent him prepaid orders for a few dozen kites but that is unlikely to happen.  3M trickable dualies are a niche in a small market and very hard to make small numbers commercially viable.

Being a hobbyist, I'm not so constrained by the need to make a profit so will have a go with it  The all around style of the Enigma should make it a good candidate for a larger kite. We shall see...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:06 AM by stapp59 » Logged
KaoS
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 12:36 AM »

Just watched Devin flying the Skyburner XL proto at KP 10  Huh  Wow, a nice flyer for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RssN3UqpY28

:'(  Ron at the 1:31 mark

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
stapp59
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2015, 01:40 PM »

While there are some time efficiencies by making kites in batches, in the end there is little automation and kite building is a labor intensive activity.  TEs and leach lines are done.  LEs next...

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2015, 01:44 PM »

Can you do them blindfolded yet?  Wink

stapp59
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2015, 01:55 PM »

I don't wake up much in the middle of the night anymore and say 'oh crap!'.  Does that count?  Wink

Can you do them blindfolded yet?  Wink
stapp59
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2015, 09:05 PM »

Cross posted on FB.

This is the 100th sail produced out of my shop. A drop in the bucket for the commercial builders who make thousands of kites. A milestone for the hobbyist builder! Time to cut the carbon...

The biggest portion of the first 100 were sent out for testing and feedback. 25% were retired as learning experiments. I have some in my collection and a few have been built by request.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:15 AM by stapp59 » Logged
Botham

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 05:59 AM »

Can't wait for blue tank photos of these asym sets....

Been learning on: Ocius STD and UL
Also flying: Alien, Breeze, Widow NG
stapp59
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 08:59 AM »

Can't wait for blue tank photos of these asym sets....

Here they are. Builds #100 and #101 ready for bridle and bag.  The extra fabric from the broadseaming lays nicely once the fabric relaxes after a few flights.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 06:38 PM »

I'm still waiting for an ugly Enigma.

Someone must be able to do it.  Wink

tpatter
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 07:39 PM »

I generally don't care for asymmetric sails, but these are FINE.  The purple in particular. Nice kites! 

I had my std out his last weekend - first time that I've flown in weeks.  Pure bliss!  Thanks again. 

6 kite tom
stapp59
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 03:25 AM »

Thanks Tom, nice to know those kites are still being flown  Smiley  There is the SUL you might want to try one day...

I generally don't care for asymmetric sails, but these are FINE.  The purple in particular. Nice kites! 

I had my std out his last weekend - first time that I've flown in weeks.  Pure bliss!  Thanks again. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom