GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 08:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All time best kite for precision (money no object)?  (Read 9834 times)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2009, 02:34 AM »

Buy yourself a long tail....

If you want to do something specific with a kite, use a specifically designed kite. The same goes for shoving a ton o' lead up the backside of a Precision kite in order to make it "trick".

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2009, 04:15 AM »

I feel like I need to add a little here. 

Precision flying is mostly the style of the flyer.  Allen does have a point in that most folks don't fly with a precision-based style as a rule, but I would add that this is actually a very sad aspect of the current state or evolution of our sport.

I find it almost annoying to watch videos where the flying is so sloppy that you can hardly tell the pilot has control, even as a fellow kite enthusiast.  It's really a shame to see that most folks can do JLs and backspins but can't fly a straight line or a tight half axel to save their life.  Anyone can yank randomly until the kite does something 'cool', but control is something that requires practice.

While I am not the best flyer by any stretch of my imagination (unless I restrict the field to only the Trondheim area of Norway  Wink ), I fly with a precision style nearly all the time, and I couldn't fly any other way.  I get slightly annoyed with myself when I find myself unwinding twisted lines by simply spinning circles and almost always fly figures to get out instead.  When I fly, the kite makes cracking noises at every corner, and that's what got me really hooked...realizing that this very chaotic wing could be tamed into flying locked in lines and corners. 

Everyone on this forum constantly repeats the mantra that 'it's the pilot...it's the pilot' but somehow we all think precision is a kite-dependent thing.  I would suggest that just like it's easy to taz a Cosmic TC, precision can have kite-dependent aspects...but I for one can fly ANY kite in my bag with 'precision' because I concentrate on this.  It's something you have to learn to do.  Plain and simple.  You have to learn to keep pressure in the sail at all times.  You have to learn to get corners to snap.  You have to learn to hold a line.  You have to learn to get your half axels to come out in the direction you want them to. 

I am SURE there are kites that are better (even way better) than others, but if trick kiting has a progressive future (to borrow a phrase from another)...it's precision carving between tricks.  This is almost NEVER seen as far as I can tell.  That being said, RonG's videos on the machine are a noticeable exception (and why I really really want a Machine!  Ron?).   

This also has a wonderful benefit: great flying in strong winds.  There are few things more satisfying than perfect complex lines, heavy line pressure, and sharp comete landings.  I go out in strong winds just for this.

Trolling complete,
obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2009, 07:38 AM »

if i read what your looking for correctly, i would say you can try and find a prophecy but i would put a want out for an stx 2.1 or 2.3 available in stds and ul you may find one fairly cheap used

Sine Metu!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 08:44 AM »

Just buy a Vendetta. You'd be hard pressed to find a better precision kite anywhere.  Wink

http://www.vipersportkites.com/Videos/vendetta%20.avi

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 09:23 AM »

I am SURE there are kites that are better (even way better) than others, but if trick kiting has a progressive future (to borrow a phrase from another)...it's precision carving between tricks.  This is almost NEVER seen as far as I can tell.  That being said, RonG's videos on the machine are a noticeable exception (and why I really really want a Machine!  Ron?).
Guys like Debray, Ferme, and Mayet went a long way towards showing me that trick flying and precision flying were not mutually exclusive things.  They're masters at combining both into a seamless entity.

People say "precision" and it seems the first thing that pops into most people's minds is infinity downward, square cuts...i.e. pre-defined figures.  Those are useful tools for evaluating a group of fliers in a fairly objective way, but it's far from the whole story.

In articles I've written and workshops I've presented, I've used the term "flying precisely".  That's what I think of when I hear "precision".  It doesn't mean doing the most perfect octagon, it means making the kite go exactly where you intend it to go, making it do exactly what you intend it to do, and then exactly where you intend it to go next.  It means flying with obvious purpose.  Personally, getting a "freebie" anything out of a kite gives me no pleasure whatsoever.

Granted, the kite I fly doesn't really give you anything you don't ask for in a commanding tone Huh
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:28 AM by RonG » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 09:41 AM »

an Aerodrone Stripes.....
an Aerodrone Speed limit for the high gusty days
an Aerodrone LiteLark for those really light wind days.

HQ Elektra was a fave of mine for precision as well..

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2009, 10:03 AM »

People say "precision" and it seems the first thing that pops into most people's minds is infinity downward, square cuts...i.e. pre-defined figures.  Those are useful tools for evaluating a group of fliers in a fairly objective way, but it's far from the whole story.

In articles I've written and workshops I've presented, I've used the term "flying precisely".  That's what I think of when I hear "precision".  It doesn't mean doing the most perfect octagon, it means making the kite go exactly where you intend it to go, making it do exactly what you intend it to do, and then exactly where you intend it to go next.  It means flying with obvious purpose. 

Well said.

My perspective is that you don't need (or necessarily want) a "precision" kite to fly precisely. The problem is that many kites don't fly well, it's just not a design priority.

Allen, AKA kitehead
obijuankenobe

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2009, 10:14 AM »

@Ron:  Of course, Richard, Mat...these are very notable exceptions for sure.  Johannes (KiteHouse pilot) is also very tight and controlled at all times.

@Allen:  What would you give as an example of a kite 'that doesn't fly that well' because of other design priorities?

I guess this was the belabored point I was trying to make:  Trick kiting has (hopefully only temporarily) progressed so fast in the last few years that the real art of control has been somewhat overshadowed by it.  And like tricking, 'flying precisely' needs to be practiced and is something for which one strives.  You can't buy a kite that will make this happen, although some might make it a bit easier.  Ultimately, the reason why this is so important is that this is what makes stunt kiting accessible (appreciable) to those who don't fly at all.

If you regularly get asked 'what are you doing?' when you fly, you are missing it. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
facesnorth

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2009, 10:26 AM »

I think what I am asking and what I am interested in, is more about this "flying precisely" rather than competition figures.

What I don't understand is why a "precision" (I'm assuming here we're talking about competition kites, or is that "Precision"?) kite is not what you would need, or necessarily even want, in order to do so.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:28 AM by facesnorth » Logged
obijuankenobe

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2009, 10:31 AM »

What I don't understand is why a "precision" (I'm assuming here we're talking about competition kites, or is that "Precision"?) kite is not what you would need, or necessarily even want, in order to do so.

That would likely be because you don't ONLY what to fly precisely...you are going to eventually want to do a few tricks.  And real old school 'precision' kites (which many folks are listing here) were designed when tricks were a largely unexplored conceptual space, so some actually almost CAN'T trick at all.  That would be my shot at an answer to that one.

obi

anOldMan

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2009, 02:27 PM »

If you want a precision kite that will do many of the current tricks, try the current version of the Phantom. at Crantock, I watch a person do things with the kite that I could not believe. I know that flying is a high percentage the pilot but the kite is still there. And from what I saw the Phantom is a great old school (PLUS) kite.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2009, 05:26 PM »

@Allen:  What would you give as an example of a kite 'that doesn't fly that well' because of other design priorities?
gonna duck in here:
Alien
Level 7 Stranger

and now i am running..................

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
lylenc

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2009, 07:18 PM »

Fly precisely the way that makes you feel good. Don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks. If you are in Zen Mode, it's good enough.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2009, 10:07 AM »

Well don't keep us waiting...  Tongue  What are they?

Many great kites out there that trick and fly like a dream.  My favorites that I've owned are the Fearless, Nirvana, and Exile.   Eager to trick, but also hold a solid line and cut sharp corners.

I am eager to try out a Talon and Vendetta.  I'll get to try out a Talon at WSIKF this year, hopefully a V as well.

6 kite tom
kitegirl

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2009, 12:12 PM »

I have been flying for a few years and all I do is figures in the sky. I like watching tricking but don't really want/can't trick. I tried several kites before I got my Quatum and let me tell you that is my go to kite. I have over 50 kites now but I always go to my Quatum. It does my figure eights, steps, circles and just hold steady in the sky. It does a great job pulling a tail. There are a lot of totally awesome kites out there that will do what you want. The key is "what YOU want". Everyone has their favorite or one the think is better than the other. Just like everyone has their favorite flavor of icecream. So find a kite like the Quatum not real expensive but can do the turns the stalls and it even tricks, get out there fly and find what you like to do. Then at that point you expand on you kites based on what YOU really enjoy doing. If there are any other kite flyers in your area I am sure they will let you try a couple of theirs. If not come on out here and between the flyers here in Chico we have Mambas, Jam Sessions old and new, Window Makers, Wolf, Trick Tails, we have new kites and very old school kites like the Top of the Line Hawian. There are more kites styles, makers, skill level kites then there are flyers. If you are going to WSIKF look us up will be happy to let you try some.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum