GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 04:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All time best kite for precision (money no object)?  (Read 9831 times)
facesnorth
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 16, 2009, 09:12 PM »

I'm interested to know which dual line kite would be considered the absolute best for precision flying.  Let's name your TOP THREE, in order, and one has to be currently available, but the other 2 can be out of production (or currently available).  These kites can have excellent or zero tricking ability.  Also, they can be very cheap or very expensive, it does not matter.  I'm interested to hear your top three precision dual lines of all time.  I'd get it started myself, but my experience is too limited to be meaningful.
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:24 PM »

Prophesy

Gardner
kitesyoyos

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29 PM »

Good day,
1. Falhawk THP Platinum
2. Northshore
3. Nirvana?

Cheers,
martin
facesnorth

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:33 PM »

Nice, that's 3 kites already that I've never heard of.  Please include the manufacturer's name as well, if possible, because otherwise it can be hard for us noobs to look up info on the kite.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:46 PM »

There will be confusion in this thread over competition Precision flying and regular "precision" flying.

Top pick - Spectra Sport Reactor Pro - '94

Semi-modern - L'Atelier Lithium - '99

Current - I have no idea. None of the current production kites I've owned was designed specifically for precision flying.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:57 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
facesnorth

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13 PM »

That shows my inexperience, because I don't know the difference between competition and regular precision flying.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:23 PM »

I'm no precision flyer but is there a difference between a kite tuned for individual precision vs team precision?

The Masque Comp looks pretty good and popular might want to consider that.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:46 PM »

#1 is North Shore Radical. You just can't argue with results.

The THP Platinum was used to beat the NSR so it's clearly in there of the retros. Most of them reside in France these days.  Smiley

Currently I'd go for the Fury if I was just cutting figures.

(that's Top of the Line, Falhawk and Kite Related Design in that order BTW)

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Adicakes
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:16 PM »

The THP Platinum was used to beat the NSR so it's clearly in there of the retros. Most of them reside in France these days.  Smiley

I don't personally own one, but there's a fair few Platinums in Australia too, particularly with respect to the small number of flyers here.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 11:30 PM »

The NSR is very good. But it feels heavy in comparison to.....

1 Mojo
2 Lithium (my comp precision set for 3 years so I may be biased)
3 AirFX (Mojo's daddy)

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 11:52 PM »

AirFX

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
facesnorth

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 12:28 AM »

All these reply's are awesome, and please continue, but can someone elaborate one why there is a difference between competition and "regular" precision?
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 01:24 AM »

The NSR is very good. But it feels heavy in comparison to.....
This is Precision we're talking about here. It's not supposed to be easyAngry

Actually, the Aerie Air F/X is a good addition as is the Blackbird #1.

Mike

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:29 AM »

All these reply's are awesome, and please continue, but can someone elaborate one why there is a difference between competition and "regular" precision?

The difference between flying a set of predefined figures that are difficult to fly at the best of times but you have to do them in whatever the wind brings from a gale to a gnats breath, and just flying geometric shapes just for fun ?

e.g. IMO the BMK Mamba is great for flying precision for *fun* but too fast, lacks easy speed control for flying figures in competition (no insult to Mambas intended, I picked a kite I really like )

Any reasonably precise kite will let you fly a geometric figure but for competition you want something that is:
- slow when the wind picks up without dying when the wind drops
- solid feeling on then end of the lines, a steady pull
- very wide window
- can be stalled on demand but doesn't stall when you don't need it e.g. when cutting a sharp corner

I flew Sandpiper 95s for the couple of seasons I flew in local winter leagues; great for all the reasons above and made precision very accessible but by contrast to the Mamba mentioned above, not a lot of fun to fly 'recreationally'

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 02:52 AM »

I could only answer with experience from the one's I've flown...........they would be:

1) Northshore Radical

2) Prophecy

3) QPro

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum