GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 06:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: July 20, 1969: One Giant Leap For Mankind  (Read 3360 times)
streamhawk
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 17, 2009, 10:03 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 20, 1969: One Giant Leap For Mankind

July 1969. It's a little over eight years since the flights of Gagarin and Shepard, followed quickly by President Kennedy's challenge to put a man on the moon before the decade is out.

It is only seven months since NASA's made a bold decision to send Apollo 8 all the way to the moon on the first manned flight of the massive Saturn V rocket.

Now, on the morning of July 16, Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins sit atop another Saturn V at Launch Complex 39A at the Kennedy Space Center. The three-stage 363-foot rocket will use its 7.5 million pounds of thrust to propel them into space and into history.

NASA - July 20, 1969: One Giant Leap For Mankind

Who remembers what they were doing that day?
streamhawk

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:34 AM »

so I'll kickstart then...

I remember it quite well. I had just graduated high school in May, I was working as a stock clerk/bagger in the local Kroger store. I watched the night before really glued to what I was seeing, and stayed up late to keep watching, had to get up at 4am the next day, that's when we recieved trucks in to stock. I remember being really tired, but couldn't wait to get home to see what else was being broadcast that evening. It was big stuff for me, the film 2001 A Space Odyssey had just come out the year before, and here we were living it. I'll always remember that, just as much as when Kennedy was shot. The first time I ever remember a tv in school was at the start of the space program, with Alan Shepard the second person to go in space and the first American.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:18 AM »

I remember watching the man on the moon on a little portable TV in the back yard on a very hot July day. I was only 5 but it is a very clear memory.

Now I work at NASA.  Smiley

Some new photos have come in over the last couple of weeks:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html

You can still see astronaut footprints. Not a lot goes on up there while we're away...

Click on this for a really big version (2349x2362) that shows just how flimsy the Lunar Module was. Cardboard, mylar & duct tape, man!

If your browser displays it scaled down, right click and save it to view full size.

More evidence that we never really went there?  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
streamhawk

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:52 AM »

I think it shows how so little could be taken so very far....
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:07 PM »

I was in the rivers of Cambodia smoking pot, holding a machine gun.

Teenagers, on drugs, with machine guns....what a way to win a war.... Cheesy

Do you know that NASA tapped OVER some of the original footage! Gone forever

"Do what you like"
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:14 PM »

I was a 17 year old at the time.  I remember walking past a church and listening to the landing on my transistor radio.  I stopped and said a silent prayer for the Apollo 11 crew as they started down to the moon.  Even as a much younger kid I always stayed up late to watch the earlier Mercury and Gemini missions as they lifted off.  I loved watching anything that had to do with flying and outer space, and always read every copy of the National Geographic Magazines that contained anything about aviation and going into space.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:45 PM »

I was in Laos. Didn't hear about it until a few days after it happened.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 02:38 PM »

I remember being in awe watching it on my parents little B&W TV screen, and taking pictures of the screen with an old SLR on a homemade tripod (had to use that to get both scans of the interlaced image).

Bob
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 03:50 PM »

I was in Laos. Didn't hear about it until a few days after it happened.

Denny

I thought there was something good about you Denny Cool

"Do what you like"
DWayne

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 05:55 PM »

Around Ban Pakha at the time.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 09:24 PM »

I was at a Go Cart race in Woodland, Washington, my brother & I found a clubhouse in a nearby park with a TV and believe it or not (hard if you knew what motor-heads we were/are) we took off from the race to watch the landing live. Then later we watched the first walk at Grandma & Grandpa's.

Ironic that the man who narrated it all for us passed on today.

I believe we went. Saddest part of it though is how that generation went to the MOON in 7 years without having a clue how to do it when they started. Today it would take us 15 years to go back if we decided to do it today. My parents and grandparents put men on the moon, my children can barely get 150 miles off the ground. In less then a year they won't even be able to do that when the Shuttle retires in 2010.  Cry

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 11:21 PM »

And they did it all with no PCs.

Sometimes I wonder how much "productivity" we actually get from all the email and PowerPoint.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 01:40 AM »

Sometimes I wonder how much "productivity" we actually get from all the email and PowerPoint.

Not to mention the latest craze, the workload flowchart, there's another 200 hours before somebody gets to roll up their sleeves and do the job.   Sad

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
indigo_wolf

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 03:01 PM »

Click on this for a really big version (2349x2362) that shows just how flimsy the Lunar Module was. Cardboard, mylar & duct tape, man!

A big fan of Capricorn One?

Summary:
When the head of NASA's manned Mars missions discovers that the capsule meant to carry the astronauts will suffer a catastrophic failure, he forces the three astronauts to participate in a hoax by broadcasting their 'Mission' from a studio built at a now abandoned air force base. Over the many months of the mission, the astronauts send broadcasts to Earth on their progress and all goes well until their space capsule burns up on re-entry. They soon realize that the only way for the hoax to be maintained is for them to die and they make a desperate attempt to escape their captors. Throughout this period, an investigative reporter gets wind of the fact that something is amiss with man's first mission to Mars and slowly puts together the pieces of the mystery.

ATB,
Sam
kitegirl

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 03:09 PM »

I remember being at home and my dad making all if us kids sit and watch the moon landing. My Dad kept saying it was history in the making. Later the family all watch the first steps. That is the only time I can remember that I was made to watch TV. I am glad he did!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum