GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 01:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whats a fast speed kite ?  (Read 3696 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 01:44 PM »

Just a word of caution:

Real honest to god speed kites can be very dangerous.

If you are new to kiting you might want to be extremely careful.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 03:20 PM »

it's not just the kite, but the line.  Pulled very tight, and moving very fast in a ground pass.   Huh

I have a small kite called a Speedwing. I haven't had it out in strong wind, but it looks like it could scoot. Very old skool. no standoffs.

I've flown a Micron a LOT. Not so much fast as quick. It seems fast and hard to follow, mainly 'cause it's so small. Very quick snap turns, it's going somewhere else -NOW-   Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 11:10 PM »

Benson Matchbox was pretty speedy.Flexifoil Psycho was too. Tiny kites like the Micron seem fast, but I think it's just because they're small and flown on short lines. Pretty fun on brisk winds, but mine (old school version) used to fling parts all over the place if ever crashed. The Rev Supersonic is supposed to have been clocked at something like 70 mph.
kiter
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 02:07 AM »

Anybody know if these Long Duong's are still available?

Dave

Believe they are.  Contacting the maker seemed to be the biggest hurdle.  I seem to recall someone on FA having contact with him or more accurately relaying messages.  Can probably dig up the thread there.

ATB,
Sam

can you please find the old thread ?
thanks.
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 06:42 AM »

From a list of facts at the World Kite Museum site linked below, fastest speed, but kite not mentioned:

The fastest kite speed was 120 mph in 1989 by Pete Di Giacomo.

http://www.worldkitemuseum.com/funfacts.html

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
misterbleepy

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 06:52 AM »

can you please find the old thread ?
thanks.

It might be this thread he was thinking of:

http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7303

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 06:56 AM »

It might be this thread he was thinking of:

Yes, indeedy.... many thanks for the foot/finger work.  I crashed last night without ever bringing the computer back up after I got home.  Huh

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:38 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
kiter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 12:36 PM »

thanks guys for the links. Smiley
portley777

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 02:25 PM »

Makes a nice sound~ and is a tad dangerous  Huh I need to fix mine a little after the last high speed dart - of course some DHs happened to get straight out of a car and walk directly underneath the kite and I crashed it as a result.

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 04:00 PM »

From a list of facts at the World Kite Museum site linked below, fastest speed, but kite not mentioned:

The fastest kite speed was 120 mph in 1989 by Pete Di Giacomo.

http://www.worldkitemuseum.com/funfacts.html

Pete DiGiacomo set the record flying a slightly modified Flexi Foil Super 10 in winds of 25 - 30 MPH in Ocean City, Maryland. Interestingly the modifications by Ted Karl were meant to lower it's wind range.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 06:40 PM »

I thought it might be a 10' Flexifoil. I remember back in the day seeing an advertisement with 107 mph or something in that neighborhood, less than 110 anyway. I wasn't sure what kite went 120.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
kiter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 09:02 PM »

Makes a nice sound~ and is a tad dangerous  Huh I need to fix mine a little after the last high speed dart - of course some DHs happened to get straight out of a car and walk directly underneath the kite and I crashed it as a result.

Cheers,
Mike

hi mike
so you got a long duong tiger 11 speed kite then ?
do you know where to get one from please ?
can you tell us more about them please ?
thanks.
kairusan

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 09:52 PM »

My HQ Symphony 2.7 (2007 edition) is actually extremely fast in 25+MPH, it just doesn't last long before snapping a 320lb line (I really should try it with a 485+ set). I think it's something about the extremely narrow aspect ratio. HQ has made a series of "Speed" foils that are, one would imagine, designed for high-speed flying. I've not seen any decent reviews, posts, or videos about these kites, so I wouldn't know whether they do live up to their names. But their aspect ratios are even more stretched out than the 2.7.

The Micron, as others have mentioned, seems very fast in higher winds. By flying it without the tail with some bridle mods, I have gotten it to go pretty fast indeed in 35+MPH winds, but it does not last long at that speed before the lower spreader pops out of the center T from the extreme frame flex you get in those winds. But it's not nearly as fast as the 2.7---it just seems faster because it's so small. The Symphony covers ground much more quickly, but it's as big as a Silver Fox 2.5 so it seems much slower than it is.  Cool
portley777

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 10:50 PM »

[/quote]
hi mike
so you got a long duong tiger 11 speed kite then ?
do you know where to get one from please ?
can you tell us more about them please ?
thanks.
[/quote]

You can PM me for more info if you like. I do know who to contact but Long Duong doesn't have an email or web presence as such.

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
kiter
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 11:19 PM »

ok thanks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document