GWTW Forum
May 27, 2018, 08:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sky Burner Profile SE - looking for more info  (Read 4150 times)
dragonfish
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: July 30, 2015, 11:18 PM »

I picked up a Sky Burner Profile SE last weekend. 

I had not even heard of it before, but it's a Sky Burner kite and it has vents!  That got my interest.  (Although I've been told it's a "standard", and I'm already starting to wonder how much of a high wind kite it is.)  I've found out a little more about it since, including the product page from the Sky Burner site about 10 years ago via the Wayback Machine, but I'm still curious to hear what you all know about it. 

Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but hopefully this weekend. 

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:01 AM »

Neat! I've never seen the Skyburner version, but Premier made a version for several years and it was a nice Precision/Ballet type kite. Some teams used them.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Trip
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:41 AM »

Cool kite! Learned some things.

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://rehilliard.net/kites.htm
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:03 PM »

Doesn't Try Gunn have team sets of these???

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:47 PM »

Not sure about Troy, but the first or second Newport Kite Festival I went to, there was someone flying 3 Profiles SEs simultaneously dragging large 100 foot tube tails.  From the distance the looked like whales languidly swimming under water.

ATB,
Sam
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:23 PM »

Team Airzone flew Profiles in 2003.

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/2003Kites#6177800439469333890

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 03:34 PM »

The Skyburner version is sure a lot nicer looking!

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 05:13 PM »

Not sure about Troy, but the first or second Newport Kite Festival I went to, there was someone flying 3 Profiles SEs simultaneously dragging large 100 foot tube tails.  From the distance the looked like whales languidly swimming under water.

ATB,
Sam
That was 'photo' Joe Perron..... Flying premier versions....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
dragonfish

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:29 PM »

Whoa, really?!  I did not know that.  Thanks for digging up that picture. 

vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 02:27 PM »

Jon... pulls them out every once in a while and we fly 4 man teams.  He has them tweaked to fly so nice and smooth.  He has three or four different sets of 4.  Flying 4 man teams is a Blast.  The kite was made for precious tracking and flying. We fly on Wednesday night.  Going to ask him to bring Team kites maybe get some photos.  You got a lucky buy.

Kite Bag: Widow Maker std. Ul, Solus std.,Ocius ul, Ocius sul,Pro Dancer,Inak,TNT,(new) Reloaded.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 04:28 PM »

There aren't any tweaks on them, and they are the same as the premier version just with nicer materials and tubes. The UL is my favorite, with the Vent second, standard, then SUL. They're a big team kite with a lot of pull and great speed control. One of the best in the 90s IMO for what it was made for. It actually will do some rotational stuff on its back but with some work. The SUL can fade for days with a very abrupt input to knock the kite over enough to lay on its back. Tip stabs, like the tramontanas and other kites with big winglets, look fabulous. Great fun and awesome with a big set of tube tails!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
adx1592

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 04:29 PM »

Most of the line has vents, and all including the SULs have the sewed hole by the wings. Not to worry! They're all made that way for a reason. Thats a lot of sail area!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
dragonfish

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 08:14 PM »

I got to fly mine yesterday.  I think I'm going to like it, but in a little less wind.  My estimate was I was flying in 15+ mph.  Weather station nearby reported 17mph around that time, which agreed with my estimate at my location.  Kite handled it just fine, but me....not so much.  Gotta work on arm strength and standing my ground. 

Sooo....do I have the "standard" or the "vented"?  Description said vented, but some (maybe just one?) people have told me it's a standard. 

Vertigo2u: I'd love to see photos of those.  Thanks. 

adx1592

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 08:33 PM »

pretty sure thats the standard. There are pictures of the team on the skyburner gallery.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
adx1592

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 08:34 PM »

Also the Profile was premier and the Profile SE was the skyburner version, if I recall.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom