GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 11:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUL kite suggestions  (Read 2712 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 07:13 AM »

Thanks, Steve.

You've given me a project. First thing to do is to find an Exile UL to mod. The rest sounds easy.
I'm not looking to fly indoors, but just to fly easier in variable 0-3mph that I see here frequently on the hazy, hot, humid days of late summer. I'm flying the Exile UL and the Nebula SUL currently, and getting pretty sweaty keeping them going at times. I've been wishing a couple times recently that I had my Ozone along.

~Rob.

Blownfuse
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 02:40 AM »

Or, if you can wait, and would like to try something else, then Jorgen who operates SporKiteDesigns is working on a Seven SUL. Should be tested and ready for sale, maybe around newyear. He is making some VERY nice kites...
 Wink

Best ever consultation ! Doctors order : Go fly a kite !  (literally, no joke)
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 04:55 AM »

Back to the original posters question, there are several/many great kites out there. The standard advice is to test fly a high end kite before you buy as they all have a little different personality and abilities.

Certainly if you like the Qpro you should try a QP SUL.  Having a matched set of a given make/model you like is a good thing.

I have a set of Talons and they are trick monsters and very well built but require a little more wind to power up.

I've heard only great things about Lam's kites and have seen him fly.  He has a long record as a great flier who makes excellent kites.

In my bag, Blue Moon and Aerostar make the best kites for my inland wind conditions. The Exile UL is a worthy contender in this category.  Sadly Paul no longer makes the Sano. You had asked about a full size kite, the Exile is 7.5 ft and the Sano is a 7fter. The Mantis/Muse is a full 8ft though not quite as tricky as the Exile.

@Rob/Must86 You are wise to keep your Exile Moonie UL stock. Ken's kites fly well right out of the bag and do not need adjusted for most conditions.  I like to tweak things to see if I can eek out a little more performance here and there. That's one reason I have two of everything  Cheesy

One tweak you might try: Assemble the Exile and pull the bridle pigtail down towards the LS connector so that the inhaul and upper outhaul are taut.  You'll see that the catch line pulls the two bridle segments together.  Slide the two sheet bend knots of the catch line towards the pigtail about 2" until the two bridle lines are just about straight. This seems to give a little better float and drive when the kite is flying above 45 degrees.  If the knots are tight, pull the bridle line nice and tight to loosen the knot a little and then it should slide.  If you don't like the change, slide the knots back. A subtle tweak that may help a little...

Don't expect any kite to fly in no wind.  Move your feet an learn to fly efficiently...

Best,
Steve
Poopy_Gnome
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 02:50 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm planning to get a Talon UL...  now if I can just decide on a sail pattern...
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 04:37 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm planning to get a Talon UL... 

I can't see you being disappointed with that choice.  Grin

Quote from: Poopy_Gnome
now if I can just decide on a sail pattern...

Good luck there. It'll be easier when you get around to ordering your standard Talon.  Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document