GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 03:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to get into tricking, what kite?  (Read 3230 times)
fragpack
Trade Count: (0)
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:50 AM »

Hi.

First of all, let me say that I'm 23 years old and I live in Denmark quite close to the beach, so I can regularly get to open areas with windspeeds ranging from around 8 to the low 20's (mph). I've flown delta kites for a few years now, but I don't know any tricks or anything. I can keep my kite in the air while doing 8's and dives and simple stuff like that. My current kite is a Günther Titan 170 CX. I don't know if you guys even know this kite, it was bought from my local toy store for ~90$, so it was not THAT cheap, but I don't think it's a very good kite. This is the new version of the kite: (commercial link removed).

Now as the title states, I'm looking to get into tricking with my kite, doing back-flips and stuff like that, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a better kite. Would that be worth it at this point or should I wait till I'm more experienced than I already am? And in the case of upgrading, what would you recommend? I've read through the "Best beginner kite"-topic and some other topics, and it seems like the Prism Quantum is the choice, but I don't know if that's much of an upgrade over my current kite.

Also, is it better to have a larger or smaller kite, trick-wise? I wanna get into tricking, but at the same time I really like it when you can feel the power of the wind when you fly. Can a large kite do what a small one can?

Thanks in advance for any help Smiley

/fragpack
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:01 AM by Steve » Logged
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:43 AM »

frag;

welcome to the forum....... a larger kite suits most for learning tricks do to being a bit slower than smaller kites that want to flip and spin faster .....larger kites helps give you a better view in to what going on through out the trick and good kite that comes to mine would be the transfer xtr.

I sure other will chime in and give more feed back  but I just want to welcome you on board
gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 09:26 AM »

Here are two best buys on this side of the pond (IMHO)

from Blue Moon:

Bemused

from Will Sturdy:

http://www.kitebox.net/vf...%20-%20Will%20Sturdy.wmv

Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 09:59 AM »

Working video-
Will Sturdy Virtual Freestyle 12

obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:44 AM »

Please follow your mouse to the 'Extras' up above to find links to other kite makers.  A Prism Quantum is NOT an upgrade from what you have, unless you ask Prism.  There maybe those here that would disagree with me, but they are wrong  Cheesy.  Prism might make a kite or two that would be an upgrade of sorts...but that too is debatable. 

I think Blue Moon would be a great place to start for sure.  But you, being in Denmark, could also look at the KiteHouse in Germany for a serious upgrade.  The SIN has gotten some very high praise from folks in the know, and is very nicely priced for the quality.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
aerialis

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:59 AM »

Thanks in advance for any help Smiley

Hi fragpack...

http://www.drageportal.dk  !!!  Smiley

BTW, where in Denmark are you from?

fragpack
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 03:36 PM »

frag;

welcome to the forum....... a larger kite suits most for learning tricks do to being a bit slower than smaller kites that want to flip and spin faster .....larger kites helps give you a better view in to what going on through out the trick and good kite that comes to mine would be the transfer xtr.

I sure other will chime in and give more feed back  but I just want to welcome you on board

Thx man! So a large kite is good to start off with and then you move on to smaller kites or..? Could I just use my current kite to learn some basic tricks before upgrading?

Hi fragpack...

http://www.drageportal.dk  !!!  Smiley

BTW, where in Denmark are you from?

Oh great, didn't know there was a danish site for kite flying Smiley I'm from Copenhagen. Are you danish too?
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 03:49 PM »

getting together with the local kiteflyers....is the best thing you will ever do. And the locals there....are hot flyers!

"Do what you like"
Beachbum
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 08:34 PM »

And the locals there....are hot flyers!

He means flying skill.  Aesthetically we are quite ugly overall.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 01:16 AM »

i wish my locals flew half as well, or were half as handsome.

F¡deli°
aerialis

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 04:12 AM »

Oh great, didn't know there was a danish site for kite flying Smiley I'm from Copenhagen. Are you danish too?

No I'm Norwegian ... so ... almost Danish  Wink

The Drageportal website has been around for a while and you'll find quite a few Danish kite fliers located in the CPH area. They regularly frequent the great field at Dragør for their flying. Just keep an eye on the Drageportal forum and you'll soon see posts about where and when to go flying with them.

I know you'll be taken good care of and you'll learn a LOT!

...and please send them my regards if... sorry, I mean WHEN you go!  Smiley

fragpack
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 05:02 AM »

Hehe nice. I'll keep tabs on it Wink
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 07:41 PM »

i only know kites from north america and the muse is the best deal around .

have fun kurt
DavidS
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum - we always need more developing enthusiasts.

First, I'm not familiar with your current kite, but my feeling is that it is probably not the kite that is keeping you back from tricking.  I flew a demo recently with a Cherry Bomb (NewTech entry level kite, under $40) - this was one of my first kites, I haven't flown it in about a year, and while it is a poor trick kite, I was able to do most basic tricks (axel, fade, lazy susan) - they were ugly, and difficult....

The point being, with advanced skills you can do tricks on most any kite. (not that I'm claiming to be an advanced flyer, but I can do most of the tricks)...

In terms of timing, YES - if you are able to keep the kite in the air and do 8s and dives, you have the experience to move onto tricks.  (And please, do move on, I don't want you to get bored and give up...)

More kites are always better than less kites Smiley, and you will find that acquiring new and different kites is part of the fun of this sport (activity? pastime? hobby?)...

My opinion is that Blue Moons are some of the best trick kites available.  I love mine, and hope to get more.  Not cheap, but not anywhere near the most expensive.  I find them less stable and more difficult to "click" with them some other kites, but this is part of what makes them such great trick machines.  Fit, finish, quality of materials and customer service from KMcNeil are as good as it gets.

If I had to pick the "best" trick kite to give to a beginning trickster, it would be a Benson Deep Space.  These can be more expensive, but compared to almost eveything else I have seen, the quality and flying capabilities are top notch.  I find the Benson more stable, and easier to click with, favorite kite of my SO/flying partner.

As for size, some kites are a little bigger, some a little smaller, but most all kites in this discussion are going to be in the 6-8 foot range - don't worry about it, it isn't really a deciding factor.

-David S
Mad Beach, FL

Prism roll up with BMK Exile x2, DS, DS UL, Widow x2, FC (signed) x4, Prism 4D, Prism 3D, Desire SUL x3, FC2, Premier Addiction (test flight kite for curious onlookers)  - not in the bag (for various reasons): Benson DS, Prism Stack, Widow, FC
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 10:12 PM »

Take a look at the Over by Eolo. It's full sized, tricky, beginner/ intermediate friendly and it's a sweet deal in Europe.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document