GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lone Kiters  (Read 2083 times)
Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 19, 2009, 04:37 PM »

How many others out there are the "Lone Kiter" in their area?  Not a whole lot of kite interest here I'm afraid.  A few folks that bought a kite on a beach vacation and fly it occasionally.  It is a good feeling to see the SLK's in the air, or recognizing that you are improving on dual or quad kites, but it takes some of the fun out when you are the only one out on the field.  It's much more fun to share with other kiters, makes going a long way to a kite festival worth while.  GWTW and other forums really help those of us in the outback.  Thanks Steve, Ken, Dave, John and the others that sponsor the various kite forums.

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:27 PM »

No kite fliers in my area.
The up side is, no crowds on the field.
The down side is.................
Is there a down side?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Moe
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:44 PM »

Tough to learn from other people when... there are no other people.  Which is a pretty big down side, IMO.  Particularly when you're starting out.

Once you're "experienced", it's probably less of an issue, but I can certainly say, as a newbie, it'd be great to have other fliers around.

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:10 PM »

I'm always the lone kiter in the fields I fly in my area, almost never the only person in the field and I always get the curious visitors to ooh and aw on my flying, although I have allot to learn yet, does make it hard to learn from the more experienced, I try to get to the monthly Chico fly to fly and learn from some very talented flyer's there.
I have a numerous times been pushed out, off a field Sad by a group showing up to play Soccer or ball, I think some of them or all of them don't realize the room it sometimes takes to do stunts with a kite, if there was more of use out in the field they would find another field.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:31 PM »

I regularly drive 2 hours each way to fly with other people.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 07:40 PM »

I'm a loner kiter in my area. I was at the MArinaGreen SF today and yeah it was packed with picnics. Worse i lost or somebody picked up my custom stake i bought of a member. Bummer dude.
Soemtimes its better by yourself
DWayne

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:17 PM »

Tough to learn from other people when... there are no other people.  Which is a pretty big down side, IMO.  Particularly when you're starting out.

Once you're "experienced", it's probably less of an issue, but I can certainly say, as a newbie, it'd be great to have other fliers around.

Download randyg's tutorials onto your ipod and you'll never have to fly alone again. And he's a really good teacher too.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
50flyer
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 02:45 AM »

I've always flown alone. I've been flying a the city park for years and never have seen anyone else flying a stunk kite.
I have 3 soccer fields to myself.

Bob M.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 04:25 AM »

I fly in a hayfield, not a soul in sight. Go to the beach, lots of people but no kiters.

"Do what you like"
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 04:32 AM »

Download randyg's tutorials onto your ipod and you'll never have to fly alone again. And he's a really good teacher too.  Wink

Denny

Funny thing... Randy says that he flies alone most of the time... How did he get so freakin' good ?!?

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 08:01 AM »

i have always preferred to fly solo....
more fun for me....
this started though because i worked the shops field station for 3 years...and everyone knew that they could come and ask for my help....and they still do years later.......

fly for me.....simple.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 10:41 AM »

Lots of pedestrians or nomads on the field tripping over lines and generally getting in the way of moving kites but then maybe the kite flyer who has been there flying for 5 hours could give a little too..  it is a public park. 

As some soccer/"ultimate" game seem to run well in excess of 5 hours at some parks.... errr ummm exactly how public are they?  Too many times it seems like one way traffic on a two-way road  Sad 

Last year, I was flying at the local field.... I was there for about 30 minutes, when a father and his son (high school age) stepped out on the field and slowly proceeded to take over the entire field. I downed my kite and patiently waited as I sipped my iced tea.  In very short order, it became very apparent, that the father was not up to chasing any passes that went wide, and they settled into kicking the ball back and forth in a space about 1/8 of the area that they had originally claimed.... and I capped the iced tea and went back to flying my kite.

Sharing field space, pretty much like the high speed merge, seems like a lost art... way too often.

Now, get me going on the yahoos driving their cars (at SPEED) on the fields at CSP, because they're are too lazy to carry stuff to the picnic tables (even though they have a fully family complement with them to carry stuff)...  Angry

Sorry... I guess haven't taken my soapbox out enough recently.  Huh   Wink

ATB,
Sam
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 12:19 AM »

Not really thinking about the father and son here but I often hear grumbling about soccer players - I don't know if its the same where you are but where my son plays his team manager has to book time slots so when they get to their pitch, yes they will try and push out anyone who is on there already. Even if they don't run late the next team will be there 10 Mins early trying to move them on. So I understand where they're coming from.

Lets face facts I can always find a bit of field not on a pitch, and regardless of who gets there first its selfish for 1 person to expect 22+ to sit and wait while he fly's a kite.  Roll Eyes

tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:57 AM »

I'm the only flyer at my field which is a shame because there's usually wind here every day. I have resorted to flying two duel line kites at once so I can see more than one kite in the air. I guess I'm the only other person I can find who is willing to fly with me on a regular basis Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography