GWTW Forum
September 20, 2018, 04:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OSTK Episode 5b: Essence STD | IckyTV  (Read 1980 times)
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: October 02, 2015, 01:12 AM »

Episode 5 of OSTK features the Essence trickkite and consists of two parts. This is the second part featuring the STD version. The sail is getting really old and is full of holes and tape. Still flies great but in desperate need of a replacement sail. Watch in HD!

https://youtu.be/XMgjxZ_QJAI

asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 02:17 PM »

Just curious on some kites like on the Benson Superfly we see these 1. mini yo-yo stoppers, we see 2. conventional yo-yo stoppers, 3. Roller bars as on your standard Essence and then I prefer these claws although for the higher stopper areas (see below) they are smooth down a bit and not as pointy. Some flyers were complaining when putting their kite away in can cut INTO the sail.

Anyway I find these claw types to be the best as the wraps do not have to be perfect particularly on the second or third.

On the Essence what made you pick roller-bars? Just curious.

On SUL's I like the idea of the mini's as these conventional yo-yo stoppers can hook the line occasionally ... IMO they are obsolete on my kites. I have had issues on very low winds as on the Tattoo and probably would prefer mini yo-yo stoppers. Will change on the next repair or upgrade to this kite.

Claw type:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiao-Ming-sports-kite-shop-infinite-transformation-YOYO-blocker-sports-stunt-kite-accessories-tumbling/32388390512.html

It is interesting they are showing these on a Transformer TL. I remember Lam originally used these but then switched to a less pointy type quickly later for the higher two stoppers seen in this link ... for the T2's and GPS's.

APJ
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:27 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 03:16 PM »

The Essence is not my design.  Cool

The Rollbars were not a part of the original Essence design by DutchKites/Pim Kusters. There were just the standoff APA type stoppers fitted. As were on some UL proto's by Pim. When the Essence SUL was created (an effort by Pierre Terbogt) the UL proto specs were used but with lighter Rods. The Rollbars were fitted then as well. After that, Pierre changed his STD Essence to those specs and fitted his STD with rollbars. That's the setup we still use today and that's all in the Open Source plan. Removing the Rollbars makes the kite feel different in flight and tricks.

They work quite well on the STD. They provide some mass and help keeping the sail in shape when flying wrapped. The geometry of the Essence allows the sail to deform more when in a wrap compared to a lot of other kite designs (Pim's original Essence had a rollcage construction to prevent this. A rod between the yoyo stopper and the TE between the SO's). I also like that the bridle can't be caught by the stopper when using Rollbars.

Since the Essence is a very pitchy kite it is nice to have the extra line catching characteristics of Rollbars. I don't really like the look of the claws by Lam and i don't prefer multiple stopper setups because you will end up with crooked rollups when 1 line is on a lower stopper. That's just me. I can see the advantage of saving the trick instead of having a (double) wingwrap.

On most of my other kites i use the normal stoppers, mostly the Exel SO connector with a tie-wrap. On some kites i have the vinyl tube low profile stoppers (Magnet 112% SUL).

asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 03:47 PM »

Rumor has it the Essence is showing up at LBI event as a pilot told me he is bringing one to the event - so will check it out. The only roll bars I ever used was on a Deep Space. Interesting explanation on the extra support it gives a kite on a wrap.

Also - Interesting if you notice the Crow (Spice) video it has a claw-like feature but NOT the two high catchers  - just THREE consecutive low catchers. IMO I would prefer something like that on a SUL rather than a singular high yo-yo stopper. This of course has nothing to do with your Std. video. Your comment on the vinyl tube low profile rubber stoppers is dead-on IMO for SUL's. I will see if Lam can switch to this Crow design on this Tattoo I just purchased ... to me its more beneficial.

That's a good point as if I do a double and triple wraps depending on the catch point it can be a little lop-sided on the release if the differential is large on the catch points - but with this device its tough to loose a double and triple wrap and wraps do not always have to be initiated with the kite being parallel to the ground (i.e., easier and more certain to wrap high on the LEs when the kite is parallel) &/or there is more freedom in the wraps for pilot error?

Just thinking out loud ...

APJ

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
dragonfish
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 08:24 PM »

Wow, some serious frame bending in this one in contrast to the previous video.  Nice job with the videos. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom