GWTW Forum
June 21, 2018, 06:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha Kites NRG Strong  (Read 4079 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: October 09, 2015, 04:45 AM »

Anyone here ever fly this kite?

How would this compare the Alpha to the old version Masque-VV?

A German pilot has some used VV kites to sell.

Which one is more trick friendly? I assume the Masque-VV. Looking for a kite that can sustain high winds (15 mph) and still do more than half axels on the corners without that much footwork.

Its 7PT and this is what I am looking for in a kite right now ... alot of pull? Limitations? Good points?

APJ
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:59 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 07:06 AM »

I cant speak for the Alphakites NRG but I had a vented Masque.
Firstly Masques have their own distinct flying style which some love, some hate. They can do many tricks but don't necessarily do them easily and being a big kite, not without some foot work.

IME Vented kites often disappoint, if they have little pull they feel mushy and unresponsive. If they are responsive, they still pull and need more footwork.

You really need to fly a few vents, they're expensive to take a risk on and it took me years to find one I actually liked rather than tolerated.

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 07:17 AM »

Is there much difference between the XT.Z(S) and the Masque-VV models in terms of flying style (ie., inputs).

My older version XT.z is Great and even this model does real well in 10-12 mph. Just looking to get another USED VENT kite and I know L'Atelier is top quality and good in higher winds.

I hear you in having to kite jump to find a good vent or for that matter a great SUL. IMO the UL and Standards are easier and that is just tuning into the kite and its kite-specific inputs in moderate winds IMO.

What is your choice for best Vent for a Europe designed kite which is OLD SKOOL or an older version (say 5 years old or thereabouts so I don't spend 500 euros)?

This is just a kite to use on the beach when I have no choice flying in 15-20 mph winds ...

APJ
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:23 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
Unregistered
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:41 AM »

Honestly you're gonna be disappointed with a Masque VV.  If you really want a vent that has the Atelier vibe then look for a Plasma or see if anyone has changed up the sparring in an XT.z.

+1 for everything Ian has said with both the Masque and Vented kites in general. 
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:51 AM »

Well in the end I will probably be disappointed but it seems I was favoring to the newer model or for lack of a better term - newer creation anyway (Alpha NRG). Tommorrow at LBI Willougby & Co. will have some vented R-Sky kites to try with North winds at a 14 mph (average) at LBI lets see what they can do and not do ... maybe there is nothing that much better than Lam's T-2 Vent but I keep thinking if L'Atelier can make a XT.z this good eight years ago or so ... some European kitemaker has created a good tool to fly in 15 mph+ winds that MAYBE? flys like a standard in 10 mph?

There must be ...  Wink Wink Wink

Eco 7 in Vent Mode - if offered. Worth the gamble in NEW ... could be at below 300 euros.

APJ
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:27 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 02:16 PM »

I cant speak for the Alphakites NRG but I had a vented Masque.
Firstly Masques have their own distinct flying style which some love, some hate. They can do many tricks but don't necessarily do them easily and being a big kite, not without some foot work.

IME Vented kites often disappoint, if they have little pull they feel mushy and unresponsive. If they are responsive, they still pull and need more footwork.

You really need to fly a few vents, they're expensive to take a risk on and it took me years to find one I actually liked rather than tolerated.

So then Ian what's your favourite vent?
Unregistered

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 03:33 PM »

Lam had a prototype 3/4 version of the Fearless that performed bad ass in 16-20.  Hell even the full size prototype performed great in that range.

It's great that you will have access to some vented kites to try before you buy, but keep in mind a kite does not need holes in it to be a great high wind performer.  The only time I would really buy a vent now is if I own and like the Standard version.
Craig

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 03:35 PM »

Is there much difference between the XT.Z(S) and the Masque-VV models in terms of flying style (ie., inputs).

2 very very different kites.
coogee

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24 PM »

High winds..... try the NFX by R Sky.

Mike
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 06:03 AM »

I like vents that still pull and remain responsive but just fly slow, if I want less pull I fly a smaller kite. In 15mph I'd probably still fly an unvented Nirvana with heavy lines and Robertshaw Wah pads.

My personal favourite vent isn't European, its a Mantis with as little venting as I can get away with and Wah pads. It still feels like a slightly sluggish Mantis and doesn't lose its feel.

harveystubbs

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 07:28 AM »

I like vents that still pull and remain responsive but just fly slow, if I want less pull I fly a smaller kite. In 15mph I'd probably still fly an unvented Nirvana with heavy lines and Robertshaw Wah pads.

My personal favourite vent isn't European, its a Mantis with as little venting as I can get away with and Wah pads. It still feels like a slightly sluggish Mantis and doesn't lose its feel.

I know what you mean I like the vented vendetta for the same reason  Cool
Unregistered

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:09 PM »

Hell the standard Vendetta was a great fly in higher winds (First time I tried one it was in rock solid 16+), what's the highest you've done with the vent?
harveystubbs

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 03:52 AM »

Hell the standard Vendetta was a great fly in higher winds (First time I tried one it was in rock solid 16+), what's the highest you've done with the vent?

About 25 and gusty. The nylon sail helps with heavy winds.

The organic is great for higher winds to  Cool
harveystubbs

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 03:54 AM »

So nobody has flown the NRG?
Frazer
Trade Count: (+27)

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 11:13 AM »

Krijn had NRG, tho perhaps not the strong version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom