GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 03:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying on Block Island  (Read 1284 times)
DavidS
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 22, 2009, 07:32 AM »

Last week I was on Block Island (off Rhode Island) for the week, and was hoping to get lots of quality fly time.

The good news - my family accidently rented the apartment above the kite store, and while it was closed, the owner was happy to open for me and talked lots about the history of kiting (the store had been there 20+ years), gave me some great deals on beginner dual liners for the kids in our group, and I acquired some great "antique" sport kites (dual line deltas without standoffs -can't imagine these work good...)

The bad news - wind sucked.  Beach was narrow, and had a 20 foot bluff on the backside - wind was dead under 10 feet and gusted to 15+ from 10-80ft.  Ambient winds elsewhere ranged from 1 (really!, had to use cigarette smoke to determine direction) to 22mph.  And everywhere inbetween.  At random. Sad  If these were conditions on home turf (Madeira Beach, FL), I long ago would have broken my kites in frustration.

-DavidS

Prism roll up with BMK Exile x2, DS, DS UL, Widow x2, FC (signed) x4, Prism 4D, Prism 3D, Desire SUL x3, FC2, Premier Addiction (test flight kite for curious onlookers)  - not in the bag (for various reasons): Benson DS, Prism Stack, Widow, FC
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 07:47 AM »

You definitely don't want to come fly in the Sacramento valley then.   Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:02 AM »

I always think of Block Island as being off of Long Island, but that's just based on perspective...

There are some really great places to fly on Long Island with nice wind if you're ever over here. Too bad about the crummy conditions for your vacation.
~Rob.

Jared

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:06 AM »

I always think of Block Island as being off of Long Island, but that's just based on perspective...

There are some really great places to fly on Long Island with nice wind if you're ever over here. Too bad about the crummy conditions for your vacation.
~Rob.

Growing up on the other side of Long Island Sound in CT, I have the same perception of Block Island Smiley

Those are some crazy conditions, though.  That's the sort of stuff I have to contend with, but I'm 120 miles inland.
RobB

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 06:55 AM »

I thought Watch Hill was on Fire Island... must be a different Watch Hill. Directly south of Bellport ?

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:20 PM »

There is a Watch Hill on Fire Island however..

http://www.watchhillfi.com/
RobB

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 04:34 AM »

Watch Hill overlooks the nude beach...  Cheesy

Yup, that's the one I was thinking about, Jim. I think you can only get there by boat or ferry. Nice place to spend the day, though.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 06:40 AM »

It is a very popular camping and overnight boating area, very hard to get a camping spot at.

I used to go out there back in the 70's and 80's.

Camping permits are by mail only and the season fills up way in advance.

You can take a chance that someone doesn't show up on the day you are visiting.

Sometimes that works for camping.

Very much a regulated area.

I have to wonder if you would even be allowed to fly a kite there.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:43 AM by JimB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document