GWTW Forum
October 16, 2018, 09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: holy bejeezus...  (Read 4915 times)
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« on: October 30, 2015, 12:41 PM »

i just realized i hit my 20 year mark....
20 years ago i was in my first summer as a college kid and a good friend of mine said "lets go fly a kite" "WTF areyou talking about flying a kite (literally, i remember saying this word for word)?"....

we went to Colt State Park in Bristol RI and I got started flying on a tracer...and got hooked apparently...

kite flying has taught me so much, introduced me to many many new friends, kept me out of trouble, got me into trouble, taught me that kite money is more important than beer money (but i still found money for beer too), made me travel all over this continent, and filled my closets, car, basement and backroom....

and damn i still love it....

Good winds!
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 01:07 PM »

Yeah, you're a lifer.

I'm not so bad. This month marks only 17 years for me...

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37 PM »

a smiler for me:
My darling wife put up with me and we drove up to Moncton Canada for the Dieppe kite festival in 2012...
Got to meet Gary Mark in person up there and the first thing he said was "wow...a LOT younger than i had imagined!"

apparently he had been hearing my name for so long he thought i was 60 or so.....

coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 03:03 PM »

Nice

Mike
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 03:41 PM »

happy anniversary. are you going to do anything to celebrate?

Fˇdeli°
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 04:47 PM »

Buy a kite?

One fascinating thing is how much my tastes in kites and such have changed over the years....
Mid 90s, college aged....
Started in sport kites with flexis and Guildworks kites....
Then got into traction kites and bought the first landboard in the state of RI, specifically for kites (1999)....

2000s
Then started getting into line laundry and bigger kites.... And some where here got a sewing machine and tried making some kites too...
~2007 or so
Eventually transitioned into mainly single line with a handful of dual lines and a lot of decas..
Now after some purging I have a lot of nice handmade single line kites, banners and the same pile of AzizAs.... And sold off a bunch of the decas too...
But also a full time job.. Staff of twelve that range from New Jersey to mid coast Maine....a website.... Three kayaks.... Two dogs... House..... Bikes..... Canoe.... Camping gear... In laws... Grad school.... Aging parents..... Ooh yes - And a toddler...
But I still try to take time to fly when ever I can.............

Hoping that I can get Kenzie to love flying as much as I do..... My darling wife likes flying as she gets to walk the beach or read in the sun.....

skb
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 06:46 PM »

June 1989 for me, Skynasaur F-36.

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 07:10 PM »

My goodness, all I can remember is it's somewhere between 20 and 25 years. For the serious addiction. Funny thing is, my first stunter was also a Skynasaur F36.  Hated it, because it was too twitchy. Sold it to my brother-in-law, and bought an Aerobat. Best decision of my life. My first "serious" kite was an Aerie K2. No going back at that point, really. Happy kite anniversary to all
Stevo
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 08:22 PM »

Let's see, so 17 years ago I went off to a college and decided to fly a kite I'd brought with me (I'd brought everything) in a tropical storm.  As you might guess it broke (but still damn fun).  Found a kite shop a state away in RI, and met this weird guy named Rob.  Well, needless to say that was that...so since then...what was the order Thief?

Sport kites...guildworks...traction kites (buggy)...single lines...big kites...art kites!  Only I'm a bit more stuck on the big stuff Wink

So then I was in college, and flying kites between chemistry courses, and now I'm teaching those chemistry courses in college, and flying between grading.

But the one constant...Rob you keep selling me kites damn it!!!  Oh yeah, and the wife...I'm pretty sure I actually dragged my then girlfriend along with me that day into the kite shop Smiley
Oldgoat
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:06 AM »

My story is not unlike those above.  Started with sport kites decades ago.  Really wanted a “store bought” kite but couldn't justify the expense.  So I decided to try and make my own.  Well it was some kind of two line delta.  Kinda patterned after a Skynasaur.  I was terribly disappointed with its performance until I turned the whole thing around and re-bridled it.  Whata ya know it actually flew.  Not well but it stayed in the air.  A totally serendipitous event but that's when it happened and I was hooked.  After a few years sport kites gave way to SLK and ground display stuff.  Now literally hundreds of kites and lots and lots of festivals and competitions later I'm still at it.  Not nearly as active as I once was but still enthusiastic.  Nowadays my kiting goals are primarily mentoring “newbies” and having people smile when they see my stuff.  A smile and a “nice kite mister” makes my day.
 Smiley
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 10:37 AM »

Stunt Kites and SLK's.

Started in my 20's and now (61). I only worry about three things:

1. Is the wind from the East.
2. Is my I-Pod fully charged.
3. Ice water in my cooler.

Stunt kites - Old SKOOL/New SKOOL/Trick combinations. Whatever ... I Just keep pushing myself and consider myself one of the FEW lucky ones since few people really UNDERSTAND the world of stunt kite flying out in a field or at the isolated part of the beach ... it's unfortunate ...

Many people in kiting are simply in it for the social ramifications IMO ... it seems and do not take the discipline part of training and flying very seriously ... I keep trying to push the stunt kite to new limits within my own bag of tricks.

IMO - you are on your own ... it reminds me a lot like golf when I was 6-handicapper ... that little white ball - staring back at you daring you to make a mistake (i.e., famous gold quote) as with the stunt kite. Its you - the wind and your flying machine. No excuses ... if you can't get any better.

Rev flyers are DIFFERENT - since they can do the mega fly or multi-person follow the leader or starburst routines. Most seem to agree its VERY BORING to fly a rev alone ... IMO ... a stunt kite is anything but ... to me its the ultimate FLYING MACHINE but more difficult than the Rev in terms of needing more continuous body movement so many revert to revs for the communal flying and less physical demands IMO ... which is OK and understandable if over 50 (i.e., medical reasons) ...

Just some thoughts ...

APJ
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:40 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 01:59 PM »

Stevo your "downfall" was when your mum would call me at the shop, ask what kite you wanted and give me a credit card number....
 Wink

And yes... The VoR was there even the first day!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom