GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 03:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bell's new kite Aerobe (designed by Albert Chen)  (Read 19031 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 06:12 PM »

My opinion is, you should probably learn to fly it the way it was designed before you try to improve it. After all, the designer probably spent more than a few minutes flying it before he put the tow point where it is.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 06:45 PM »

My opinion is, you should probably learn to fly it the way it was designed before you try to improve it. After all, the designer probably spent more than a few minutes flying it before he put the tow point where it is.  Wink

I agree..................I don't have ANY experience flying kites like this.  My point was the Prussic knot was loose, and I was wondering, more or less, if the three inches was the point that seemed the average with the other folks that have gotten these kites.  I guess I wasn't explaining that point well, at all.  I have since put another 10 min. on the kite and am starting to get a bit of a grasp.

thanx,
Jim

Denny

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
DWayne

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 07:36 PM »

Sorry, my bad.
Mine is exactly 3" from the attachment to the prussic knot.

Denny

tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 09:34 PM »

Mine doesn't have a true prussic knot, it seems to be a larks head knot that catches an overhand knot tied on the upper bridle half. I tied two more overhand knots, 1 about a half inch above the current knot and one a half inch below the current knot.  I also taped a quarter to the nose for a better glide. I use my Aerobe only out doors. 
Kantaxel

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 12:16 AM »

Sorry, my bad.
Mine is exactly 3" from the attachment to the prussic knot.

Denny

Thanks Denny..I'm glad it was close to where it shoud be.......the kite is gettin easier to fly after watching the vid again and getting a bit of the feel.

Ours has a real prussic and holds where you put it.......There are
no other knots on the bridle except where they attach to the spine waaaay too close in to the sail. Roll Eyes

Jim

Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 08:12 AM »

Jim,

3" is only the tow point length.

16" from back of spine, and 5" to front spine. that's where my tow point is tied.
(factory setting)
Kantaxel

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 08:26 AM »

Jim,

3" is only the tow point length.

16" from back of spine, and 5" to front spine. that's where my tow point is tied.
(factory setting)

Dano,
You got that right..............I just checked your measurements with our bluebat and we were off (high) 1/8 of an inch..................I was close when I tightened up the prussic.  Also I found a miniscule little blue ink spot right on the money, so I guess you could say the sweet spot is marked. Grin

Awesome kite.....I wish it wasn't wet from the dew or I'd stay up an hour or so and fly some more Undecided

thanks,
Jim

PS: Too bad the promotion is over Embarrassed  I shoulda stayed true to the program and got her one in yellow Cool.....We could fly pairs.............well, maybe Grin Huh
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:29 AM by Kantaxel » Logged

Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 08:34 AM »

i havent even got a chance to fly mine yet, and i too wish i ordered another one.  Smiley
Kantaxel

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 08:50 AM »

A true bundle of fun for the money...............the downwind or no wind glide is just incredible........................I used to think the 3D was kinda fun on 12 ft lines just for giggles.........NO COMPARISON, my friend.

Jim

streamhawk
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009, 10:12 AM »

not having flown a glider before like a Skate or whatever, what is the upper wind limit for gliding, like, 2mph maybe?
DWayne

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009, 12:02 PM »

I was flying mine this morning in 3 to 4 mph at the end. The glides at that speed can burn a bit.  Shocked
But what fun.
I was completely wore out when I stopped.

Denny

Kantaxel

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16 PM »

But what fun.
I was completely wore out when I stopped.

Denny

Hence the name Aerobe?  (Aerobics Wink )

Too old ..can't go there Embarrassed

Jim

DWayne

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 05:15 PM »

Hence the name Aerobe?  (Aerobics Wink )

Too old ..can't go there Embarrassed

Jim

That thought did cross my mind this morning.  Cheesy

Denny

DWayne

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2009, 03:06 PM »

I tied two more overhand knots, 1 about a half inch above the current knot and one a half inch below the current knot.  I also taped a quarter to the nose for a better glide. I use my Aerobe only out doors. 

Any chance of doing a little video so we can see what your mods have done for (or to) it?

Denny

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2009, 01:51 PM »

I tied two more overhand knots, 1 about a half inch above the current knot and one a half inch below the current knot.  I also taped a quarter to the nose for a better glide. I use my Aerobe only out doors. 

Any chance of doing a little video so we can see what your mods have done for (or to) it?

Denny

Or at least explain what effect they've had, what changes do lengthening and shortening the bridle have?

Was that a silver, copper or zinc quarter, there's a weight difference.

Out of curiosity I did lay a quarter (copper core, 5.7 grams) on my nose indoors and tested the glide with no line, in a short glide it was about the right weight if you wanted an unattended glide, how about with 5 grams (a nickle, that's been a constant so far)? How does the weight effect static flight?

Anybody tried a reverse turbo bridle yet? <insert tongue in cheek smiley here>  Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document