GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 07:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nighthawk Bridle Issues  (Read 1360 times)
match
Trade Count: (0)
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:41 AM »

Hi,

My first post - I'm a new kite flier who's just got hold of  aPremier Nighthawk, and am having some issues with it.  I posted originally about it on another forum:

http://nosediversstuntkiteforum21516.yuku.com/topic/2336/master/1/

And was told there might be more folk with experience of flying Nighthawks on this one  Smiley

To summarise, the problem is that I can't get my nighthawk to fly in anything under about 12-15mph winds, when its rated to fly at much lower speeds.  I've contacted Premier for the 'default' bridle dimensions, but they haven't got back to me.  I was wondering if anyone here has a Nighthawk who would be kind enough to measure the bridle and tell me its dimensions. I'm happy to have a go at adjusting the bridle if necessary, but don't want to start messing with it until I have an idea which way to adjust it   Roll Eyes

Any advice greatly appreciated!
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:22 AM »

I bought a used one off a member from SF calif. and mine had red knotted adjustables on the top of the bridle-for leaning the kite in and out. If your s did not, bummer cause they help tons for flexibility.
Dang who sold me that kite? Anyways ita a good kite, dont stop believing

Journey - Don't Stop Believin' (External Embedding Disabled)
match
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:33 AM »

I bought a used one off a member from SF calif. and mine had red knotted adjustables on the top of the bridle-for leaning the kite in and out. If your s did not, bummer cause they help tons for flexibility.
Dang who sold me that kite? Anyways ita a good kite, dont stop believing

Journey - Don't Stop Believin'

It does have a short section at the top of the bridle with 3 knots on it, which I at first ignored, but I now realise that the bridle line is tied to these in a larks head, making it easy to adjust the upper line length!

I now have the measurements from Premier and they seems the same as my setup - in case this is useful to anyone else later...

Upper: 47cm
Outer: 47cm
Inner: 49cm

I'll work at making small tweaks first, and bigger ones later... Smiley
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:47 AM by match » Logged
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01 AM »

Call Jon T at skyburner. He just fixed one with some issues yesterday at a group fly. He's the designer too.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 06:13 PM »

Grin  Yep.  John T just adjusted mine a bit Weds. and it flys great.  The top adjustments were the only thing that I was adjusting, and it flew good, but Jon's adjustment to the outhaul made a big difference.  I also added a small weight in the tail that steadied it nice, (dont ask how much, it was a small steel spacer I picked up at the hardware, est. 5grams).
 Grin
Jim
match
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 01:50 AM »

Grin  Yep.  John T just adjusted mine a bit Weds. and it flys great.  The top adjustments were the only thing that I was adjusting, and it flew good, but Jon's adjustment to the outhaul made a big difference.  I also added a small weight in the tail that steadied it nice, (dont ask how much, it was a small steel spacer I picked up at the hardware, est. 5grams).
 Grin
Jim

Thanks for the info.  Having discovered the top adjustments, I'm going to try those first.  If that fails to work I'll try and get in touch with John T, or failing that might ask you very nicely if you'd mind measuring up your newly adjusted bridle so I can make the same tweaks myself . Grin I'd heard elsewhere that a small tail weight is good for stability - I'll try that as well in my experiments.  Now to hope the rain we've got forecast for this weekend doesn't arrive so I can get in some good flying time!
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 06:51 PM »

Although a bit different then what you posted, here are the measurements after Jon T adjusted my NightHawk bridle...

outer 17.25" /43.82 cm
inner  20.25" /51.44 cm
upper to the loop before you tie the Larkshead to the knotted line 17.25" /43.82 cm

I had it out again tonight in light to mild winds and it flys fantastic!
Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]
windchaser1

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:10 PM »

Hello, Not sure if I can help but I own and have a modified Nighthawk. An I am a friend of Jon T's and was there last Wednesday night. An not to say to much i was the one that pointed out to Jon the Jimmies hawk wasn't flying well and weird. First thing to know is the one you have a new one or a used one. If it is the New one Write or call  Jon and he will tell you what needs to be retied and adjusted he told me that from the maker some of the knots are not done right and use up to much bridle. and need to be retied. If it is a used one then that is a whole other animal who knows what was done to the kite could be it was so bad off  is why they sold it. An you may have to start with a new bridle or find someone that flies to see if they can help fix it. If you live in or around Detroit goe see Jon or stop by this wednesday and there be several people me included who can help get it back into flying shape. An are happy to help. But a few basic things to check are that the bridels are even. To do that take the knots at the  attaching point .one in each hand pull down and out on the fully constructed kite and see if where the knots ends up are even on both sides if not you will need to adjust them until they are .Then move them down and in until the top line and the line hooked at the lower spreader are tight and see if they fall at the same point respective to side to side.and adjust if not. adjust do in little bits a little move things a long way . and if they are all even then put top line at the second knot on both sides and fly if still bad well need more work LOL. It is a start point is all someone may need to re do everything to get it right who knows Bridles are a touchy animal. Alot easier to have some one walk you thru it in person instead of trying talk you thru it on here trustme been there done that drove Jon nuts asking him all sorts of questions about the bridle when i first got started.But he hekped me alot.   LOL. Good luck . John B
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 06:22 PM by windchaser1 » Logged
match
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 01:30 AM »

I managed to get out for a fly on Saturday - although as is typical when you're trying to fix a kite with low wind problems, the wind speed barely edged below 20mph the whole afternoon!

However, I did still play around with the top adjustments, and found that while it was unflyable at 20mph in the 'default' position, by bringing the nose right forward, and spilling air out the back I could just about fly it (although any kind of stall-related tricks were right out!).

Hopefully I'll get some calmer evenings this week and try playing with changing the nose angle again.

The adjusted bridle measurements sound interesting - I got the kite new, so I'm happy to play about with it. I'll see how I get on with the simple adjustments first, and learn some more basic tricks, and come back to adjusting the bridle fully when I've got some more flying time under my belt.

Thanks again for the hints and tips!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography