GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 10:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small is the New Big  (Read 5291 times)
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: March 11, 2009, 05:55 PM »

The new 4gig iPod shuffle

This thing is tiny.

Voice over button gives song name and artist and controls are inline on the earbud cord.

I'm still jonesing for either a 2nd Gen, 2gig Shuffle (apparently now discontinued?) or a 16gig, 4th Gen Nano...or both. Roll Eyes But at 4gig and $79 it a looks to be a pretty sweet deal.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:58 PM by randyg » Logged

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:04 AM »

I watched the tour. They didn't talk about a way to back up to hear a song over again or go back several if you felt like it. Other than that, and not being able to use 3rd party earbuds, looks pretty nice.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:16 AM »

You've got a bunch of control, you just have to remember the sequences of clicks and holds. Supposedly a lot easier than it looks on paper.  Huh

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3458

Allen, AKA kitehead
randyg

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:53 PM »

Good heavens! Does that come with a field card? Shocked

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03 PM »

No, but a little voice says "press once for no, twice for yes", etc, etc...

Allen, AKA kitehead
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 03:20 PM »

You've got a bunch of control, you just have to remember the sequences of clicks and holds.

Morse Code to control an MP3 player ..... hmmmm   Undecided   Not big on the lack of 3rd party earphones.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:23 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 04:21 PM »

There's a headphone adapter, and a few fancy 'phones with the switch thing. Many more on the way 'cause you can control other new 'pods with 'em. Mic built in too I hear.

If you plug in regular 'phones you can still play tunes just fine, but only in continous shuffle or linear mode. Now that's plug n play!

Allen, AKA kitehead
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:17 PM »

So, does that also mean that "Less is the New More"..... Wink

P

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 01:13 AM »

Bought one.

The controls take about 10 seconds to understand.

You only really need the double and triple click to skip forward or backward on your playlist.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:34 AM »

I have grown tired of all the generations of iPods and their MS clones and trying to keep the wires out of the way while stuffing ear buds back in, so I went a different route.

Look maw!  No wires!  Ear buds stay right where you put them.  1 GB which is plenty for a long flying session.

BTW, if you are current military, retired military or government employees, Oakleys offers some excellent prices on their glasses.  You don't get all the color and frame options, but the price makes up for it if you are an Oakley fan.

From their FAQs: "The Oakley Military and Government Sales program is for active duty military, reserve, all government employees including local police, fire, EMS and those holding military/government retiree credentials."

attachments older than 120 days removed to save space
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:39 AM by ndcmpc » Logged

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:27 PM »

I've looked at those, but; once you get the prescription lenses in there they are mega-pricey. Nice just the same.

The Bluetooth products, phones, etc., are another wireless option.
ndcmpc

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:42 PM »

I've looked at those, but; once you get the prescription lenses in there they are mega-pricey. Nice just the same.

The Bluetooth products, phones, etc., are another wireless option.

Lasik my friend.  I did it about 18 months ago and I am loving the freedom from prescription glasses.  Grin 

Plus I can now wear cool sunglasses.  Wink

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 11:16 PM »

Yeah.. I'm waiting.

For what I dunno, but.. I'm waiting.

Undecided
randyg

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 07:05 AM »

I have grown tired of all the generations of iPods and their MS clones
Yeah, and I get tired of the car makers coming out with new versions of their models every year or two. It all gets so confusing. I say we bring back the Model T or something. Cheesy

My iPod is at least 2, maybe 3 generations old and it still works just fine. I'd love to jump in on a Nano and just might but I don't get tired of Apple trying to keep things fresh. Gotta keep ahead of the competition you know. Wink

Sorry Doug but those Oakley's look plumb goofy.  Grin  Cheesy  Grin

ndcmpc

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 07:38 PM »

Sorry Doug but those Oakley's look plumb goofy.  Grin  Cheesy  Grin

Ahh Randy, buddy, you had to go and make it personal.  I didn't say anything about people who buy the iJunk, but that I was tired of the continous parade of different iStuff so folks will keep buying so they have the latest.  But in deference to the folks who keep spending small fortunes to buy the latest iWhatever product, I will just let it drop.  Roll Eyes

Actually, I am of an age where I go for function vs. having the bestest iPieceofstuff in my pocket.  Goofy?  Not really, but everyone has their own perception.  Functional?  You bet.  No iTunes required, just plug it into the computer and load it up.  I don't have to spend 5 minutes running wires through my clothes to try to keep from snagging on them.  And the earbuds stay right where I put them.

That is good enough for this old soldier.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:48 PM by ndcmpc » Logged

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document