GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 02:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: line length recomendations for prism micron kite ??  (Read 2436 times)
kiter
Trade Count: (0)
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:48 PM »

i just brought a new prism micron kite,nice and small...

just wanted to know what length lines are best used for small prism micron kite for inland unruly bumpy winds ?

what can you tell me about the micron kites ?

also is any brand quality small kite around the size of a micron avaialble ?
i like these small kites,but would like a better quality than the micron

so whats some ideas of small very good quality hand made kites and there specs such as size ?
thank you.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:50 PM by kiter » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 01:01 AM »

I've only flown other peoples but it is a fun little kite, I would guess 50' - 75' on lines, I think that's about what I've flown them on. They will axel and cascade I know, about all I've tried with one, cascades are a bit of a challenge since things happen pretty quick.

Reminds me that I should get mine together, I picked up a used one that needs a little TLC.

You might check out the Mirage by Jones Airfoils, a small, quick, higher wind kite although with a totally different design philosophy. They come as a three kite stack and have no known upper wind range. But if you enjoy the Micron you may very well enjoy them. Mike Jones is a custom builder and does some very nice custom work and the kites are pretty impressive in the hands of an experienced pilot, I really enjoyed watching Chris Schultz flying them last year.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kevspilly
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 02:17 AM »

50' of 50LB is good for me.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:45 AM »

Hey Kiter...
The Micron is a niche kite. Kind of just a novelty. Have you flown it yet ? I think it's hysterical ! I was laughing out loud the first few time I flew mine. There have been a few kites that size that I've seen, but never a 'high end' one. Those Mirage warbirds might be fun for you, or even a Micron stack. I have a 5 stack, and that's great fun, once in a while.
What is it about the Micron that you find low quality ? Is it just because it didn't cost much, or do you think it's going to break easily ? You should find it very tough, and a novelty kite shouldn't cost too much. It's not a kite that gets much airtime out of my bag, It will be a year in October since I flew the stack, and longer than that since I flew the single.
~Rob.

Almost forgot... the higher the wind, the heavier/longer the line. 50#/50' is what it comes with, I think, but I've flown mine in 30mph wind with 150# 85' line. Either way, that little kite is a scream.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 04:48 AM by Must86 » Logged

kiteslinger
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 07:31 AM »

even smaller is the micro kite

kiteslinger
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 07:41 AM »

Almost forgot... the higher the wind, the heavier/longer the line. 50#/50' is what it comes with, I think, but I've flown mine in 30mph wind with 150# 85' line. Either way, that little kite is a scream.

I did just about the same to keep the micron from obtaining warp speeds but my combo was 100# @35' and still trick ...the heavy lines were able to drop away from the wing tips  and the short line set reduced the wind window keeping it from maxing out warp speeds
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:05 AM »

I like the Micron on 75' line in wind over 15mph. I don't fly it in lower wind. The novelty of tricking the thing on shorter lines wore off and I mainly like to buzz around with it. With the right technique flies really nice. Blinding fast corners. Gets a lot of attention.

I have a maybe 50' Trlby tail that make the kite easier to fly and looks nice doing tight spins. Good for when someone else wants to fly something.

The original Micron is smaller and quicker than the recent version. If you like the new one it would be worth seeking out an old one. I've had mine since '98 and it's bullet proof. It doesn't see much air time but it's only out in high wind and gets beat on petty hard by whoever flies it.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kairusan

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 12:26 PM »

I've spent far too much time exploring the capabilities of my Micron, including doing bridle mods, trying weights, varying angles of attack and different strength/weight lines in different wind conditions. Here's what I have learned:

The Micron seems to fly a lot better if you slightly modify its existing bridle by adding a knot roughly midway up the towpoints and attaching the lower inhauls to these knots, thereby creating sort of an ersatz turbo bridle. Also, the towpoints themselves should be moved up slightly along the upper/lower outhaul lines. There's two knots in the outhauls that are roughly in between where the towpoints normally attach; I just move the towpoints up to the upper knots and attach them there.

I've tried lots of other bridle mods in a wide variety of winds, ranging from 3ish to 35+ish mph, and found that the above perform much better than other alternatives, including activated, dihedral activated, cross-activated, and the standard three-point bridle the kite ships with. In lower winds, the ersatz turbo bridle helps you trick better (at the expense of making yo-yos more difficult; the default three-point setting seems to be the best for yo-yos). In high winds, the turbo makes the kite much more precise and helps it hold together better (although a 40+mph gust WILL cause the lower spreader to pop right out, no matter what you do).

Other things:

• The 50lb50ft the kite ships with are quite decent up to about 15mph, at which point you'll want to swap to some longer and heavier lines to slow the kite down and make it more controllable. I use 80lb85ft in winds up to 40mph (at which point the kite's frame distorts and/or pops apart so much it's no longer really possible to fly it), and maintain excellent control without sacrificing too much speed. I've tried heavier and longer lines and they tend to drag far too much on the kite even in the highest winds, severely attenuating control.
  • I like to use 50lb20ft lines in the lightest winds, because it makes it much easier to trick the kite (which is all that it can really do in light winds).
  • I've tried 2 and 5 gram weights in various placements along the spine, but neither low wind nor high wind performance seems to improve with added weight. If you want to do pitch tricks, the Micron's already very good at them with its default 3-point bridle. It will easily roll up multiple times with a single pop.
  • Finally, the Micron's actually a very durable, high-quality kite. The frame truly is unbreakable, at the expense of being extremely flexy in higher winds. That said, I almost never fly my Micron these days unless the wind is up and I'm after a challenge.
RobB

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 12:34 PM »

Micro kite with a Micron...

[attachment deleted by admin]

kiter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 02:41 PM »

thanks very much for your replies and helful info.
this is a great forum.
 Smiley
Ace

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 08:11 PM »

The micron is a very tough, fast and super fun little kite!
Having said that, I still managed to splinter the spine on mine last week in 20 + mph winds. Embarrassed

Go figure, I didn't think the kite had enough mass to cause the spine to splinter in a nose dive, even at WARP speed.

Thats kiting I guess.......... Grin

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 12:46 AM »

Flying my 2 Microns at the same time is twice the fun:)

2 Microns 1 flyer
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 11:58 AM »

I remember that video, it's still as impressive now as it was last year. I want to see you doing three, maybe to Chubby Checkers "Twist and Shout" of course we'll want to see the flier included in the shots  Wink

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 08:22 PM »

Why is it that I cannot find any videos of people tricking with a Mircon on the internet? They all seem to just show it screaming around like crazy.

I will have a Micron in my caffeine shaken hands soon, like this week, and cannot wait to try it. I have read that these can be made to do rolls etc, but have not seen anyone doing so.

Cheers,
Sean
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 08:48 PM »

They react so quickly and require such small inputs that it requires a pretty gentle touch. I've done axels, half axels & cascades when I tried one for a few minutes once, those cascades will get ahead of you quick  Embarrassed

Post us some video, love to see one in a 540, maybe a slot machine and/or taz. I don't know how flippy they are or stable on thier back, I probably threw it in a turtle and tryed a lazy susan and a fade but don't recall if I had success.

Regardless we'll send numerous Kudo's your way for a vid with a couple Jacobs Ladders.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography