GWTW Forum
April 21, 2018, 06:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite tails  (Read 11684 times)
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 07:05 PM »

Those pictures look amazing!  Is that your prism kite??

Both tails look great with the matching colors!!

Yup, that's my Prism Prophecy. The tail on it was a lucky match to the kite colors. It's a commercial tail, maybe a bit too big in diameter sometimes, especially in low wind. Slightly smaller diameter tails made from lighter fabric look nicer. Less "kinky".

The best tube tails I ever had were made by Peter Betancourt from a nice flexible taffeta. Very smooth, flowing in the sky. Stiffer tails like the big one in the picture are better suited to SLKs.

As others have mentioned, the Prism tails are very nice. I have a 75' one. The only thing I don't like about it is the color at the end. Doesn't match with many kites...

Looks like I'll be buying a few tails now. LOL! Cheesy

Feel free to pm me when you'd like to part with that kite!! Tongue Cool
Tim P.
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 09:18 PM »

I much prefer the tube tails too. Ribbons are okay, but for me on a sport kite, tubes are the way to go. I recently acquired a Prism Nexus 5 stack. After tuning the stack I flew them with the ribbon tails that came with it. Worked fine, looked good, but I prefer the more substantial look in flight of tube tails. Ordered some tube tails from Peter Powell in colors to coordinate with the kites and they look fabulous in the sky. I also have a 75' rainbow tube tail that coordinates pretty well with a Skydog Dream On kite that looks great.
socalman320

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 11:51 AM »

Checked out some great videos on YouTube yesterday and I'm going to be getting some prism tails and gomberg too.

I keep hearing issues about tails not filling up and staying flat. Are one better than the other with this issue?
socalman320

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59 AM »

Another thing I noticed is some tails have a pretty big gap between kite and tail.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 01:04 PM »

Tube tails should have a few feet between themselves and the kite.

Turbulence off the sport kite can reduce the ability for a tube tail

to inflate fully.

Ribbon tails may be tied directly to the kite.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 01:34 PM »

Another thing I noticed is some tails have a pretty big gap between kite and tail.

The gap on my Prophecy tail in the picture is too long, but the bridle came that way and as I only get it out once a year or so I've never gotten around to fixing it. Purely cosmetic. Works fine.

Allen, AKA kitehead
KaoS
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 05:30 PM »

Tube tails should have a few feet between themselves and the kite.

Turbulence off the sport kite can reduce the ability for a tube tail

to inflate fully.

Ribbon tails may be tied directly to the kite.

A lot depends on the tube tail itself.  These days most tube tails have a solid or semi solid ring around the opening.  The ones in this photo DON'T, and still inflate well being around 6" from the tails of the Skyburner Trick n Tracks.

I now fly these kites with a Gomberg transition tail on each wingtip too.  They look spectacular!

On a slightly different note, I tie the tube tail directly to the end of the spine.  This results in a more solid pull on the lines. A couple of friends tie theirs to the back of the T-piece, and this doesn't seem to increase the pull on the lines.  Makes it slightly easier to fly as the wind speed increases.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
RobB
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 05:37 PM »

Never thought about dual tails on a Rev. Thanks for the picture!! Where'd ya get the tails???

The tails are standard flat transition tails, they might have come from Gomberg Kites, I really don't remember.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 05:44 PM »

Kevin,

I tie the tube tails to the center-T area using a swivel and bridle line.

But I leave a couple of feet between the kite and the tube tail opening.

Here's a Voodoo Vented flexing hard to pull a tube tail in high wind.

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/2012Kites#5746728182940295250

Good corkscrew:

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/2012Kites#5746728185500048258

socalman320

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 06:25 PM »

All good information!!!

I'm thinking 100 dollars or less should get me quite a nice collection of tails of different colors and lengths for sure!

Since Prism only has one color option but two lengths, I'm guessing one of each of those. I like the color they offer but I wish they had more colors to choose from.

Gomberg on the other hand has a nice selection of transitions and tube tails at a great price.
KaoS

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 11:35 PM »

Kevin,

I tie the tube tails to the center-T area using a swivel and bridle line.

But I leave a couple of feet between the kite and the tube tail opening.

Yep, no right way or wrong way... it's all personal preference.  I just copied what Ray Bethell does  Wink

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Trip

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 12:59 PM »

While I have some tube tails and they are fantastic to fly on a sport kite, I really have grown to love the transition tails from Gomberg mainly because they are lighter with less drag. In Northeastern Texas, wind can be scarce and dirty at times. I have a 100ft that I have color coded to my NikNak. I also have 1, 50ft tail and 2, 25ft transition tails color coded to my Kestrel (half the size tubes Ray Bethell flies on his Kestrel).

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:28 PM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://rehilliard.net/kites.htm
socalman320

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 01:27 PM »

While I have some tube tails and they are fantastic to fly on a sport kite, I really have grown to love the transition tails from Gomberg mainly because they are lighter with less drag. In Northeastern Texas, wind can be scarce and dirty at times. I have a 100ft that I have color coded to my NikNak. I also have 1, 50ft tail and 2, 25ft transition tails color coded to my Kestrel.

How do you get them color coded?Huh
Trip

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 01:29 PM »

You can custom order with Gomberg. They just happened to have the white, black, blue and plum tail for my blue and plum Nik Nak. And they had some red, black and white tails for my Kestrel.

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
Trip

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 02:15 PM »

Nice vids, Steve.   Grin

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom