GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 10:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Camera  (Read 4192 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: August 01, 2009, 07:14 PM »

Yes, after over 5 years of faithful service, the Olympus 8080 is getting a rest.

After much deliberation and holding and hefting, we decided on the Nikon D5000:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

I believe sensor size is more important than pixel count and 12MP is going to be plenty for us. The Nikon D90 is much bigger, heavier and the additional features aren't worth the cost IMHO. Full size sensor cameras are way too hefty for my casual shooting.

Haven't even opened the packages yet:
Camera, 2 VR kit zoom lenses, spare battery, filters, 8GB Extreme card and backpack carrier. They wanted $413 for a 3 year no fault or fine print warranty, which just seemed pretty darned high for a camera in this price range.

So I still haven't caught up to you lads and lasses with the big gear, nor do I think it will ever happen. Content to play with smaller toys.

Maybe I'll take some kite pictures after the batteries charge up.  Wink

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:47 PM »

dang! Your looking at the same bodies i'm looking at to relpace my D70.
I'd buy the body only since i'm happy with my 88-200mm 2.8F and 24mm fixed.
What did all that kit cost you in the end?

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 08:10 PM »

$1299 out the door. Ritz local camera shop. Support your local camera shop.  Smiley

The D90 was my first choice going into the store, but the grip is just a tad too long (front to back) for my fingers and way too long for Bambi's petite grip. I never use continuous shooting anyway, so the extra speed there would be wasted. And I don't think I'll need the ability to use all Nikon lens as these are my first and only ones.

Oddly, my first digital camera was a Nikon 900s (1280x960).  Huh

fuw3
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:47 PM »

Nice camera.  I just picked up a Canon EOS 40D.  (Not trying to start a Canon vs. Nikkon thread here).  We can both learn to use our new cameras together  Grin

Wayne
Prism Junkie
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:40 AM »

Hey John...

Nice lookin' camera. My wife is the shutter-bug in my family, and she would know better than me if it was a good one. Bottom line, a person can have the best camera in the world and still not be able to take pictures. I am really looking forward to seeing what you can do with the new toy, because you've got the best eye that I've seen for shooting kites. Typing this to you reminds me to go change the page on my calendar, and find out what August's kite is...

~Rob.

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:24 AM »

Bottom line, a person can have the best camera in the world and still not be able to take pictures.

And I have seen some great shots taken with a Instamatic or even a disposable camera

John, I like that Nikon model

Using my Canon 20D to shoot a wedding today, their theme is redneck so I think I will use a suburban missing the front clip in their driveway as the backdrop
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:38 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:33 AM »

I'm looking forward to a camera with that kind of high ISO quality. Whole new world.

Have fun!

Allen, AKA kitehead
Sketch

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 10:28 AM »

WOW!
I have always been BLOWN AWAY with your amazing photography skills over the years.
You are truly one of those folks have that 7ths sense-MINDS EYEBALLS....who know what and when to press the shutter.
Gads!
Guess I had betta be on the look out for an old OLY 8080 like the one that served you so well....and flush that my new little  Fugifilm-FUSTRATING J10 with its looooooong shutter lopity-laggggalong speed down the toilet.
This is my first digital camera...since retiring my collection of 35mm cameras and lenses that range from a 21mm all the way up to 600mm.
Congrats....on your new purchase, and again....Thanks for all the years of giving us sooooooooooo many wonderful photos.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 11:04 AM »

Not trying to start a Canon vs. Nikkon thread here

I think that might fall under the "politics and religions" clauses of topics unsuitable for discussion on this forum  Huh  Wink

ATB,
Sam

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 11:24 AM »

Just for John Welden.....  Wink

CANON SUCKS!!

NIKON RULZ!!   Cool

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 11:26 AM »

Just for John Welden.....  Wink

CANON SUCKS!!

NIKON RULZ!!   Cool

Ohhhhh.... moderatorz gone bad.... it's just not a pretty thing.  Next thing you know they will be hanging out in 7-11 parking lots and scaring the locals.  Shocked

ATB,
Sam
fuw3

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 04:11 PM »

Things are bad when the moderators start the fmale wars!  Cheesy

Wayne
Prism Junkie
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 11:38 AM »

You'll enjoy it.  My fiancee loves her Nikon D40.  She takes some great photos with it as well.

I enjoy my Canon 40D as well.   Cheesy

Sketch

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 01:45 PM »

Hummmm?
I loved my first KodakBoxBrownie'...but no longer have film for it but I "dislike intenseleeeee' my new little cheapie Fujifilm notsofinePix J150w 5x 10.0 little digital-dinkus' camera from the pits of China syndrome somewhere!!! Wink Angry

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:56 PM by Sketch » Logged
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 02:15 PM »

Here are some pic's of the redneck wedding

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change