GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does your kite whistle??  (Read 3556 times)
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 02, 2009, 06:46 PM »

I was able to get out for the second time with my brand new dual line kite.Grin The wind was fairly smooth and at times very strong. I have a PRISM QUANTUM. When the wind was strong or the kite was moving fast, I could hear a rather loud whistle. I think it was coming from the lines. I'm not sure because the line I used for my kite's maiden voyage were borrowed and the wind was not that strong. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Is this normal in high winds? Is it the kite or the lines? And if it is the kite should I give it the name "SCREAMING MEANY"?
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:52 PM »

It's the lines.   Cheesy

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
fuw3

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 08:02 PM »

That's usually when I switch to a vented kite or to a heavier set of lines.

Wayne
Prism Junkie
kitegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 09:51 PM »

I also fly a Quantum and when the winds are stronger the lines whistle as well the sail. But, believe me the kite can take it. I love my Quantum it is a great kite to learn on. It does the basic kite skills as well as many of the tricks. It handles pulling a tail which is what I love to do. Nothing better then flying on the beach with a long tail flowing behind the kite.
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:27 AM »

I know that my QPro's whistle, at least if you have the yo-yo stoppers in place. Being that they are recycled stand off fittings, and thus are hollow...

I find it particularly noticeable on the SUL as it passes.

WinterDaze AoF
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:11 AM »

Tramontanas had the spine in FRONT of the sail inside of a sleeve which ran from the nose to the keel. Under the right wind conditions, the sleeve would whistle.

I'm including a picture of the back of a Tram and you will not see the spine where it would normally be on a dualie.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:04 PM »

You may notice the pitch changes the more wraps you have in your lines.

I've had lines shrieking with our Quantum and whatever the stock lines are. It was pulling pretty hard at the time. Definitely over 15MPH.

Allen, AKA kitehead
anOldMan

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:11 PM »

I have always liked the whistling or buzzing of the kite. It is useful when people walk into the kite window. I just fly a hard and fast pass about 4 meters over their heads and then go to the top of the window and wait for them to notice that they are in a dangerous area.

I find that most people respond in a positive way to this action.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
iwannafly

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 06:26 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the wind was really strong.

I was using the stock lines - 85', 150#.

And I don't think at my current level of skill it would be a good idea to buzz anyone in my flight zone. Unless of course they are wearing a helmet. Wink

Next time the wind is up I'll try to see if it changes pitch with the lines twisted up. I'll turn it into a science lesson for my daughter. Or would that be a music lesson? Undecided
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 10:43 PM »

Music for sure....
If the lines are whistling sometimes I play with the lines rather than the kite. By this I mean manipulate the kite of course but in a way that the lines change pitch sonically and rhythmically. Sometimes this may be simply letting the kite "glide" with pump and release motions...tightening/loosening the line or "string" in this case, creating cool tones and drones.
bt 
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 12:27 PM »

We were out flying the NSR the other day, couldn't hear the lines whistle at all.  I guess the NSR is the only one I own that doesn't make the lines whistle....

ainokea

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 03:47 PM »

We were out flying the NSR the other day, couldn't hear the lines whistle at all.  I guess the NSR is the only one I own that doesn't make the lines whistle....

You wern't flying in high enough winds Kent.  Wink
Back home they screamed, including the NSR.

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 11:21 PM »

I think it's mostly good quality Spectra lines that whistle. If you used cheaper lines, like braided polyester or maybe even Spectra "Sport" (Poly-spectra blend), I'm not sure you'd hear it. I think it's the tiny diameter of the Spectra that so excites the air. Not sure where I heard or read or learned this. It's even possible that (gasp!) it's wrong!

Norm in Toronto
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 11:50 PM »

If you want whistling lines, fly on the lightest weight lines you feel won't break. If you pull with a given tension on different weight lines, the lightest lines will vibrate at the highest frequency, which are easiest for our ears to hear.

All kite lines vibrate when tensioned, but the lower frequencies need more power to be audible. That's why you hear people talk about 15" woofers. No one talks about 15" tweeters.  Huh

By the way, the lines will be loudest right before they break.  Sad

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ainokea

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 12:00 AM »

I think it's mostly good quality Spectra lines that whistle. If you used cheaper lines, like braided polyester or maybe even Spectra "Sport" (Poly-spectra blend), I'm not sure you'd hear it. I think it's the tiny diameter of the Spectra that so excites the air. Not sure where I heard or read or learned this. It's even possible that (gasp!) it's wrong!

Back in the day, our 200# Kevlar lines screamed in a 20 mph wind while flying a Hawaiian.
It's not just "cheap lines" or Spectra that make noise. They all make noise in high enough winds.

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change