GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 04:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help picking out a UL kite from this list  (Read 4984 times)
brokenvisage
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 04, 2009, 06:55 PM »

Hey guys, first time poster but have been into stunt kites for a while now. I currently have a Quantum that I'm very happy with when I go down the shore. While at home however it struggles to stay in the sky, so I thought it was time to invest in a UL kite I could fly around my area and perhaps at the beach as well. I do plan on upgrading from my Quantum soon but want to get a UL flyer first.

I've read a good deal of posts to see what people are recommending these days and of course the best is pricey. So because I'll be getting another kite in the near future I'd like to keep this purchase budgeted at around $150. That being said I've been looking at the following:

Sky Burner Nik Nak
HQ Breeze
HQ Tattoo II
Acrobatx UL
Silverfox 2.5 UL

As for my personal preferences.. I don't need a kite that does *all* the tricks, I'm looking for one that's mostly zippy in quick winds and responsive first and foremost. Appearance is fairly unimportant, though some of them were quirky overall I liked how each looked. Build quality is of high importance though since I'm prone to crashing  Embarrassed

That's about it I guess, please ask if I missed something. Feel free to mention other kites to consider too if you think they would be to my liking. Looking forward to your responses, thanks in advance!
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:02 PM »

Breeze....but others, not on your list,......would be on mine Smiley

"Do what you like"
glider

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44 PM »

I've only flown the Silver Fox UL.  My take is that it is on the heavy end of the ULs.   If you're anticipating flying in low wind, there are many less trickable kites in this price range that fly in lighter wind.
Dave

King-J

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:47 PM »

Sorry, Not sure on the kits on your list, Although I can comment on the one UL I do own, in fact I fly it 90% of the time in a wide rang of winds 2-12, and it preforms very well and as for the beginner I am it is the smoothest and I have been able to develop on some of the tricks I thought I would never be able to learn, it is how ever over the budget you have set, but I do think you would enjoy it also.  TALON UL.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:45 PM »

hello and welcome if there is anyway u can spend a little more the muse light will be a kite you can grow with comes in a standard also you can not go wrong with these kites IMO best deal out there the shadow also fits your wants a little advanced though and might be hard to find have fun ko
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:47 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:46 PM »

If you were looking for tricks, I would go for either of the Flying wings kites.  They trick well, but I was never that happy with their low wind drive or flight characteristics.

I guess I'd go with either of the HQs, or perhaps the HQ Shadow - flys very low and does most all tricks very well.

You might also post on the wanted section for a used BMK (any of the Blue Moon ULs are great) or save up a little more for a new one - a smoother low wind flying kite you are not likely to find at any price.  

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 08:49 PM »

tom talked me into these kites and i was way more than satisfied exile and shadow
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:50 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
ET

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:49 PM »

From your list...breeze.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:05 PM »

hands down niknak. you can even fly it indoors if you want to learn too.
great GREAT kite for the money.  Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 10:16 PM »

Sky Burner Nik Nak - I tried one a few years ago and it flew in very light winds but I don't rembember being able to do a lot with it trick wise. Skyburner build quality is excellent though.

HQ Breeze - I have one and it will fly in very light winds. Old school tricks are nice. Super Fades, 540s, Axels, Helicopters etc. It's well made but it's a SUL and the frame is 4mm pulltruded so it's flexy. I wouldn't be slamming this into the ground a lot.

HQ Tattoo II - Never tried one.

Acrobatx UL - I have one, It needs more wind than a Breeze but it'll do most of the modern pitch base stuff. Super nice Flic Flacs, JLs too. Pretty sturdy for an UL with good build quality and some nice touches for the money like no snag nose treatment, covered LE connectors etc.. Will fly and trick with less wind than the SF UL.

Silverfox 2.5 UL - I had one. Great kite but it's more of a light than a UL. Needs the most wind out of all of these. It will do just about all the tricks you can throw at it.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Dave a

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 02:34 AM »

Quote from: King-J
...it is how ever over the budget you have set, but I do think you would enjoy it also.  TALON UL.

Considering the clearly stated budget, which is FAR, FAR below the Talon UL, topic title, and the list of kites provided, i hardly think your suggestion is what the poster is looking for  Roll Eyes

But back on topic, both the Acrobatx UL and Silver Fox UL are not true UL's, so i think you would be disapointed with their low wind range, although they are good kites in the right conditions.
I do have a HQ Shadow which is a fantastic kite but sadly no longer available, but i reckon its a fair bet that the other HQ kites listed will also be close to what you're looking for.
Id also have a look at the new Flying Wings Airwave range, they LOOK to be the UL's that the Acrobatx UL and SFUL arent.
If i can find a review somewhere confirming this i might pick one up myself  Grin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:06 AM by Dave a » Logged
brokenvisage

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:45 AM »

Thanks for the information guys, please keep the opinions/suggestions coming. Since there's no clear-cut favorite out of the replies so far I'll go into a little more detail to help let you guys know what I'm looking for. Like I mentioned in the first place I don't need a kite that can do a wide range of tricks, though it would be nice my primary concern is simply the ability for it to fly outdoors (I don't see myself flying indoors anytime soon) in a light breeze and have the versitility to take on a stiff wind at the beach.. so a good, true wide wind range would be best.

I'm not sure how fast these UL kites can go, but the for me the faster the better. I get most of my enjoyment out of stunt kites mostly by just doing quick, sharp loops and just making them go all over at fast speeds, so aside from the wide wind range I'd like the "zippiest" UL kite there is. I'd also strongly prefer to buy this kite new, not that I don't trust previous owners on here I just don't like buying many things used and a kite would be high on that list. I touched on build quality earlier as well, assuming these ULs can do pretty good speeds I would be concerned about some of the smaller ones not being able to take a crash very well, especially on a field as opposed to the sandy beach.

I think that'll do for now, hopefully it solidifies my preference. I hear some of you mentioning the Muse/Talon + others and while they do look *great* it's like I said.. this is supposed to be a budgeted buy so I'd prefer not to spend a bundle, but feel free to mention them anyway, maybe an overwhelming majority will be enough to change my mind. Again, thanks!
ezme6

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43 AM »

From your last post I think maybe SkyDog Kites is the way to go, although if Steve here has something, buy it and support the local kite pusher Smiley

"Do what you like"
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:45 AM »

The closest kite to "all" of your requirements is the HQ Shadow (supposedly out of production).

1 Call GWTW and ask if they might have any left.
2 Randomly call other kite shops to see if they have any left.
3 Go used and post in the wanted section of this Forum.

You will be hard pressed to find a UL/SUL kite with as wide a wind range, speed and trickiness for your budgeted money.

I haven't flown the Nik Nak, but flown all the others you've listed. The Breeze would be your next best bet of the ones I've flown. The Tattoo would be 3rd, although I've only flown the Zero, not the II version you list.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
bt
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 11:47 AM »

Correct me if I`m wrong but it seems you are looking for that rare kite we are all looking for....does everything in all winds be it 1 mph or a stiff wind...20 mph?? Yes there are lots of kites that have a wide wind range...consult Steve here on this if you wish to buy new. Also doesn`t the kite you already have sort of do this..the Quantum range is from 3-25 as per the gwtw link on the Quantum... If your wanting a true ul/sul forget the stiff wind part....ain`t gonna happen unless you wish it to explode in the air or start to shake like crazy in flight...put it away and take out your Quantum.
Generally an UL or a SUL will not be the speedy kite you desire especially with the sizes of the kites on your list. However a Prism 3d can very zippy and twitchy in the air....but is that too small as per your post...
For sure get a ul/sul as there are many good ones to choose from in a wide range of prices...again email Steve here at gwtw and fly it for what it does then change kites when the wind picks up.
Another solution is to get a rev....1.5 especially as you can change frames very easily to expand the wind range in either direction.
Ultimately it boils down to this....you`re starting a collection of kites....good on ya!!
bt

Like I mentioned in the first place I don't need a kite that can do a wide range of tricks, though it would be nice my primary concern is simply the ability for it to fly outdoors (I don't see myself flying indoors anytime soon) in a light breeze and have the versitility to take on a stiff wind at the beach.. so a good, true wide wind range would be best.

I'm not sure how fast these UL kites can go, but the for me the faster the better. I get most of my enjoyment out of stunt kites mostly by just doing quick, sharp loops and just making them go all over at fast speeds, so aside from the wide wind range I'd like the "zippiest" UL kite there is. I'd also strongly prefer to buy this kite new, not that I don't trust previous owners on here I just don't like buying many things used and a kite would be high on that list. I touched on build quality earlier as well, assuming these ULs can do pretty good speeds I would be concerned about some of the smaller ones not being able to take a crash very well, especially on a field as opposed to the sandy beach.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography