GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 05:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help picking out a UL kite from this list  (Read 5548 times)
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 03:54 AM »

Correct me if I`m wrong but it seems you are looking for that rare kite we are all looking for....does everything in all winds be it 1 mph or a stiff wind...20 mph??

You will be hard pressed to find a UL/SUL kite with as wide a wind range, speed and trickiness for your budgeted money.

If your wanting a true ul/sul forget the stiff wind part....ain`t gonna happen unless you wish it to explode in the air or start to shake like crazy in flight...put it away and take out your Quantum.

Good points to keep in mind.   Smiley

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
brokenvisage
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 01:02 PM »

Hey guys, I think I may be zeroing in on my decision... the HQ Shadow! There's one available for $190, so it's pretty far outside my price range but based on the thoughts of some of you guys plus what others have said this might be my best fit. What do you guys think? Would this be a better fit for me over something like the other HQ kites (Breeze/Tattoo II) or others like the Muse and Silverfox? I know it supposedly does great tricks and as I've stated I don't care to do most of them, but if it is tricky AND zippy I'll gladly grow into it and perhaps this will get me into doing them more, should be fun.

The only thing is I can't seem to find how much it weighs, if one of you knows this please post it. Aside from that I like the wing span, like the color, the wind range I found for it did say 1-8 mph (kind of lower then what I was looking for) but I've heard others say it handled higher winds fine.

But yeah, now that I have a good candidate selected I need your help to convince me to pony up the cash for it. Those of you who have flown one, seen it flying, know someone who flys/flew one, etc.. please share your thoughts, I'd like to pay for this thing by tomorrow so I can get it ASAP for my trip. Smiley

Thanks all.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 01:23 PM »

I believe the kite weighs just a tad over 6 oz (sans weight),

HQ Shadow

Nice kite but IMO overpriced at $190.  In that range you would be many times happier with a Muse ... many, many times.

Not sure why you would want to fly an ultra light above 3 mph.  You are courting disaster (especially over 8 mph) and a standard wind kite will be much more enjoyable.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 01:43 PM »

gotta agreee with Steve 100%, i think for that money a Muse would be a better choice.
It might be worth a call to him as well, he is the shop that supports this forum and maybe able to find you a better deal on the shadow, if that is what you have your heart set on

Sine Metu!
UPNET

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 04:44 PM »

I snagged a used Muse from a member on this forum. It's become my std kite and will fly in low winds. If your willing to spend $190...go the extra money for a Muse. It's a great kite. You won't be sorry. Plus...customer service. Ken will go the extra mile to keep you satisfied.     Grin

Chris

Voltaire
brokenvisage

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 05:17 PM »

Hmm, I just saw a video of the Muse in action and I may be convinced now lol. Thing looks awesome actually, I may have to contact Ken about this, do you think he'd be able to get it to me by the 15th? If that's possible I may make this investment.

There also seems to be 3 versions of the kite, I guess it comes down to the standard and light version for me. Is it advisable to consider the LT version over the standard in my case, or even many other cases? It's only $10 more, but if the standard Muse is good in light winds by itself maybe I'd go with that.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 05:44 PM »

Bemused

I was fortunate to get the first Muse made.  It has been one of my favorite kites since and is now pretty much the only standard wind kite I fly.  I am comfortable with the kite in winds as low as 2 - 3 mph.  The kite is stock ... no weights no fancy rods ... plain vanilla.  There are other kites out there that are trickier (the BMK Exile for one) but I have always maintained that for 80% (or more) of fliers the Muse offers more than they will be able to master.  No slight to HQ or any other mass market kite makers but you will not find a kite that is as well made as a Blue Moon ... and at $229 it is a steal!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:47 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 07:01 PM »

Doesn't seem to matter whether we're looking for a car, a kite, a TV...there's always something way better just above your budget  Cry

The Shadow is a great kite for really low winds.  Pulls nice and firm against the lines, very good at tricking.  I had one for a long time before upgrading to a more expensive UL.

The Acrobatx UL is a robust UL, full of trick capabilities, but doesn't fly in quite as low a wind as the Shadow...probably better described as a "Light".  Good value for money though.

Yes, ANYTHING from BMK (Muse, Exile, etc) will be a good investment.  Beautifully made kites with very good performance at the bottom end of the standard wind range.  Well worth the money, but above your original price range.  If you can afford the extra, you won't be disappointed.  Exiles occaisionally come up in the Swap Meet, but they hold their price.  I don't recall seeing a Muse come up for sale - owners just love 'em

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 01:04 AM »

I'd agree, if you can justify breaking your original budget the Muse is the most fantastic value on the market today and you won't be disappointed. If your lucky Ken will have one of the standard colors "In Stock", whether you might have to cough up a little extra for 2 day shipping would depend on your location and service.

The Standard goes pretty low, I have a Standard and a Nitro upgrade and am happy with the lower range of both. But bear in mind Steve can fly standing still in winds most normal humans would be hard pressed to keep a kite in the air with movement. Around here the swirling winds in the lower range are the biggest problem, when your on the badside of a rotor and the wind is coming towards you or blowing downwards nothing will stay in the air except a TTUL in the hands of Mr Hall who can read the wind and knows where to find the slightest hint of movement.

Reading your posts if your low range is 2-3 mph and not too dirty I would feel that you would get the most bang out of a standard since it will serve you into the 12-15 mph range too. If your winds suck like ours you might be best served by the light on longer 50 lb lines giving you the chance to get up out of the slower ground layer and a larger window to search out some movement.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 07:58 AM »

im going to agree with them above me. muse TOTALLY trumphs the shadow if your going to spend the extra money. I have both versions of the muse and they're AWESOME! and designing your own sail colors is a total plus too.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Dave a

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 01:04 AM »

Quote from: adx1592
...muse TOTALLY trumphs the shadow if your going to spend the extra money. ]
Ok, i think most people here are of the same opinion, BUT are we still considering the original intention of this post.
Is the Muse a better ULTRA LIGHT than the Shadow ?
I dont have a Muse myself, but i do have an Exile, and while it does have a great low wind range FOR A STANDARD, i still dont regard it as a true ultra light.
The Shadow has a much lower wind range.

I hope we're not getting caught up with discussing what is a better all round sport kite, and forgeting the ultra light part of the original question.
UPNET

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 08:03 AM »

Valid point. A new Muse "light" is $239. I think the $190 for the Shadow...a kite that's out of production may have surprised some folks. There is also the problem with inland winds...both in quality and quantity. Takes a lot of work in dirty, light breezes..even with a UL. Also, many folks new to this kite flying hobby are looking to keep the investment low...not wanting to have a closet full of kites. That was my initial thought, why do I need so many kites. Can't one, or maybe two suffice?  Roll Eyes  Between my wife and I....the count is up to 8.  Huh Then there is that..".I don't seem to click with that kite"...phenomenon.  Sad  But that's another story.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:21 AM by UPNET » Logged

Voltaire
brokenvisage

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 08:40 AM »

OK guys the search is over and a "final" decision has been made. I called up Ken yesterday afternoon and expressed interest in the Muse. I went into the call with my mind all but made up thanks to the praise you guys were giving it, my only question was which version to go for. Ken was as kind as could be and didn't try to upsell me or anything, just listened to what I wanted and suggested going with a standard Muse. Not only that, but he said if all goes well I should be able to have the kite in hand by my trip on the 15th even though he has other orders to fulfill, now that's service! Obviously ~$240 is a good $100+ more than I wanted to spend but I considered the fact that it is handcrafted, highly recommended, and should be easy to swap/sell if for whatever reason I grow detached from it or down the line decide to get an Exile or something similar. So I consider this a wise investment that at the very least prevents me from buying a multitude of less expensive kites in order to find the right one. Thanks so much for the input fellas, I hope this thread helps people in situations like mine make a well-informed decision as well.
UPNET

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 09:23 AM »

Congrats!!! Grin  Isn't it nice to be able to talk to the man who will be making your kite. Enjoy!

Chris

Voltaire
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 10:13 AM »

Sounds like Ken listened to your hope for a speedy kite with a pretty wide wind range, the light isn't that kite. You would've only gained a small increase in it's lowest range at the loss of a wide range and responsiveness.

In view of your original request for an ultralite I hope we haven't talked you in the wrong direction but a standard Muse is going to feel like an ultralite after the Quantum, believe me. A true ultralite kite is a purpose built machine with narrow uses. Learn to fly your Muse as low as it will go, you've doubled or tripled your available flying time over the Quantum, and the skills gained will help widen the range of the Quantum in the future. After you can fly that Muse in 3 mph & under you'll be in a better position to truely appreciate a SUL if you find you still need one.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change