GWTW Forum
September 19, 2018, 09:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which low wind glider is the best for outdoors?  (Read 65722 times)
hydrophyte77
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 07:35 PM »

Another one you can build from a free online plan is the Ginga. I might make one as my next project. They look really cool...

http://www.windsweptkites.com/ginga.html
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2016, 08:15 PM »

Jason you should really send a message to Doug Stoat....you will really like his kites and not spend an extraneous amount.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
jasonrohrer

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2016, 09:57 PM »

Yes, he and I have been in touch, and his prices are very reasonable (especially since every kite he makes is custom, by him), and at least on video, the BOP looks like the greatest glider of all time.

But I did have a rare chance at the last Chiroptera in the world, so for now, I took it, and sadly, my kite fund isn't infinite, so I really need to take it one kite at a time!
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2016, 06:51 AM »

Someone if we ever meet we will have to fly my chiro and yours..... Mine is the second prototype........

jasonrohrer

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2016, 03:29 PM »

Ha!  That's pretty awesome.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2016, 03:38 PM »

Another one you can build from a free online plan is the Ginga. I might make one as my next project. They look really cool...

http://www.windsweptkites.com/ginga.html

I have one of the traveling Gingas built by Christoph. It's a great little kite, but not a zero wind glider. Wide wind range. The larger versions are probably more glider-like.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2016, 03:47 PM »

I know they're terribly niche, so there's no economics of scale, but it seems like a shame that similar kites aren't widely available for $50. 

Gliders are by nature fragile. Making a kite lighter than the Wala at the same price point would make for a lot of unhappy customers. The Wala is right at the sweet spot, able to be mass produced cheaply and still be durable enough to put on the mass market. Even so, it is a niche product.

For those of us on this Forum, we can go for more specialized designs and fly them with care and understand if something breaks. We are a very, very small niche. A kite like the Chiro or BoP would be a nightmare  for the average kite store. Every other joe off the beach would either give them to a 5 year old to fly, or put it up in 10MPH. Instant unhappy customer.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 05:24 PM »

btw: as stated, the ginga is an AWESOME light wind kite to fly, but it is by no means a glider!   this design family (there are 4 versions) have a bowed spine and a bowed spreader as well.   Those do not work well for gliders Wink But they do make for a super fun kite to have.   I always have at least one in my car ready to fly at a moments notice.

Revrookie

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 09:08 PM »

I keep my BOP in the car for the same reason. Always fun to fly when nothing else will stay up.
ceewan
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2016, 12:26 AM »

Sorry, a bit late into the discussion

Bi Plutz in action at an indoor Fest in Singapore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0rKUbxU_VE

enjoy
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+5)

Re:
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2016, 12:42 PM »

Spend the extra $30 and get a Skate....

No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom