GWTW Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brasington Sojourn or Hoffmann Sunbeam Flap Kite??  (Read 12652 times)
Dolittle
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 07, 2016, 08:05 AM »

Does anyone have experience with either of these?

I'd like to know if they are picky about the kinds of winds they'll fly well in?  And if they are particularly difficult to assemble ? And anything else you might know about either?

I can't find any reviews online for the Sunbeam Flap kite.  Jim Nicholls did a nice video on the Sojourn though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldL8BdSofcM

I'm intrigued by the flap kite but think it might be too hard to assemble on a windy field and its wind requirements might severely limit its time in the air.  Maybe it's made for the beach?

Any thoughts?  thx.  J.

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 08:41 AM »

Will you want a stable kite or a active kite?
inherently the flap kite will be moving a lot....the sojourner can be bridled to be rock steady....
the flap kite looks like it would not be too hard to assemble on land:

obviously it goes flat. install spine up the kite and then put on spreaders. last step would be to bow the spreaders....

The sojourner just takes the two sets of rods that set the skin out and upward....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Dolittle

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:57 AM »

Thx, thief.  I've decided to try both of them and see how they do.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 07:33 PM »

I have the Sojoum. Its not picky about wind. Flys well in my crappy local winds.  Always looks stunning in the air too.

Fairly easy to assemble. 

You will love it. 
Dolittle

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:55 PM »

Perfect!  Thanks for the encouragement.  I think it looks great in the videos and we have crappy wind here too.  But I can never resist a try at a kinetic kite so I'll get the sunbeam as well.  Now if we can get a nice breezy day. It's fun to have a gift certificate for kites, even if it means i'm a year older!

I continue to look for the big new tech butterfly kite.  Someone said they are out of production but I hold out hope on finding one.
DD
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 05:27 PM »

Hang out here long enough and you will be amazed at what comes up on the swaps here;D

Sine Metu!
deerislandbrew
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:12 AM »

The Sojourrn does take about a 7-9 mph wind to get off the ground and fly well.
Dolittle

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 06:13 PM »

Yes, I bought the sojourn and had the best flying of it at jocky's ridge n.c. with a nice steady 8 or 9 mph wind.  We were a little confused on setting it up in the wind--we forgot the instructions. 

thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 06:15 PM »

You need some more Brasington's now!!! Original pieces are notut as pricey as you might imagine

Dolittle

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 03:14 PM »

Yes!  I often go to his site and lust after his kites. I have a few of his 'manufactured' kites.  I met him a few years ago in Kitty Hawk on the beach and he was so sweet to me and my three girl friends. He answered all kinds of questions about flying kites and kind of got at least two of us hooked on kites. Great guy for kiting.  cheers! J.
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 03:57 PM »

I know a place you can get some of you decide you need one or two or more! All distinctive, most are his prototypes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom