GWTW Forum
November 18, 2018, 11:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UNWAXED Braided Dacron??  (Read 26288 times)
jasonrohrer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 09, 2016, 11:19 AM »

The 50# braided dacron that I got for my Chiroptera is pretty amazing material.

However, like almost all similar line that I can find advertised, it is "lightly waxed."  The claim is that this is to keep the tow point from slipping.  But I'm not using mine directly as the tow point on the bridle.

And after a few days of using it, it already looks really dirty.  For a zero-wind situation, the line is on the ground most of the time, and it's also running through my hands over and over.  In just a few days, it already looks worse than some really old unwaxed, cheapo twisted line that I've had for more than a decade.

I've also read on here that it's a "sand magnet," which sounds horrible, though I haven't tried it in sand.

SO... is unwaxed braided dacron even available from kite suppliers?  If so, where?  Link?

The 20# bridle line that Will supplied with the Chiroptera seems like it's unwaxed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:16 PM by jasonrohrer » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 01:06 PM »

For small zero wind slks I use spectra line. Either old beat up sport kite line or a green spectra fishing line. The fishing line doesn't tangle and doesn't pick up dust

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 01:07 PM »

I would not use the very thin spectra in any wind. It cuts up my fingers.

I run waxy Dacron through an old towel a few times to clean it up. Gets rid of most of the wax

Allen, AKA kitehead
jasonrohrer

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 01:37 PM »

The towel is a great tip...

But WHY is it waxed in the first place?  Sounds like most people are annoyed by it, or "deal with it," as opposed to wanting it waxed.

The only place I could find unwaxed listed was here:

http://www.kites.tug.com/hang-closed/line.html

But they don't look like the operate anymore.

I'm pretty sure what we're getting from kite shops is this stuff, made by Western Filament:

http://tuf-line.com/product/braided-dacron/

And it's all waxed!
JimNZ
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:41 AM »

The braided dacron sold by Into The Wind is made by Ashaway and doesn't appear to be waxed. 

Jim
jasonrohrer

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 03:28 PM »

Yeah, they [intothewind] do have it!

[url -Sorry, links to non-sponsoring kite shops are not allowed. -thief/url]

Is there a reason why it's 2x more expensive than the waxed?  That seems to be the going price for Ashaway stuff everywhere.

I got 500 feet of 50# braided waxed for $6.59 here: Fun With Wind
[url -Sorry, links to non-sponsoring kite shops are not allowed. -thief/url]

Goodwinds doesn't have 50#, but their prices for waxed are comparable to FWW.

But at least there's a source for unwaxed!  Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:03 AM by thief » Logged
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 03:42 PM »

Ashaway is a small family run line and rope shop in the woods of RI.  Top quality line.... not mass produced......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JimNZ
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 04:39 AM »

I think Into The Wind are the sole distributor, and so probably the only place you'll find the full range of sizes.  Yes, it's expensive, but probably worth the price.

Jim
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 06:04 AM »

Fun With Wind may offer a deal, but be very wary of them.......

jasonrohrer

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:43 AM »

Ahem!  Care to pad out your "........" a bit?

Otherwise, you leave it up to our imaginations, which may be worse than the truth!

I asked Will where I should get the spars that I need to complete the Chiroptera.  He said either Goodwinds or Fun With Wind.  Only FWW had the weight of Dacron flying line that I also needed, so I went with them.

Prices were good, shipping was included.  I had some trouble with my password to log into the customer service area to check my order status, so called FWW by phone.  My call was handled by a kind, older gentleman with a New England accent.  Everything was set right, and my order arrived a few days later.

I've never ordered carbon rods before, and they came bent into a loop and taped to a piece of carboard (I was expecting a long tube package).  This was a little distressing to me, but after untaping, they straighted right out.  Yep, carbon fiber is magic stuff.

Doug Stout tells me that he uses superior carbon in his BOP from CST (CST DPP carbon fiber rods).  He says they're more expensive but worth it.  I just checked, and they're CHEAPER than the rods that I got from FWW.
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 11:05 AM »

Ahem!  Care to pad out your "........" a bit?

Otherwise, you leave it up to our imaginations, which may be worse than the truth!

I asked Will where I should get the spars that I need to complete the Chiroptera.  He said either Goodwinds or Fun With Wind.  Only FWW had the weight of Dacron flying line that I also needed, so I went with them.

Prices were good, shipping was included.  I had some trouble with my password to log into the customer service area to check my order status, so called FWW by phone.  My call was handled by a kind, older gentleman with a New England accent.  Everything was set right, and my order arrived a few days later.

I've never ordered carbon rods before, and they came bent into a loop and taped to a piece of carboard (I was expecting a long tube package).  This was a little distressing to me, but after untaping, they straighted right out.  Yep, carbon fiber is magic stuff.

Doug Stout tells me that he uses superior carbon in his BOP from CST (CST DPP carbon fiber rods).  He says they're more expensive but worth it.  I just checked, and they're CHEAPER than the rods that I got from FWW.

There have been some threads on this forum about that company.   I am not the only who has not had great service at a bargain price....

bending the carbon rods like that is a bit iffy...i would do that with fiberglass but not carbon.   carbon is flexible stuff, but not as flexible as fiberglass.  you might want to check that it is carbon and not f'glass (read this thread for some detail on which is which:http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=12988.0)

Doug has a great place to get his rods from, and some of them are super cool teeny tiny little ones too!

jasonrohrer

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 11:33 AM »

I tested my rods with an Ohm meter, and they are conducting, so they are carbon.
jasonrohrer

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 09:38 AM »

Whoops!  Sorry folks.  Turns out that Will did NOT recommend Fun With Wind to me.

He gave me the recommendation over the phone, and it was Goodwinds or Kites & Fun Things.  When I got back on the computer and searched for it, I found FWW by accident, because the word "Fun" stuck in my mind.

Turns out that K&FT doesn't have braided dacron, and Goodwinds didn't have the 50lb dacron that I needed, so I wasn't so crazy to order from FWW by accident, and I was pleased with their service.
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 12:25 PM »

New Tech Kites braided response dacron has a smooth finish. I just opened up a 50Lb test and ran it through my fingers, no wax. As to who carries it. ask your preferred vendor to order it.

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom