GWTW Forum
September 23, 2017, 11:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic Rev Stick HELP NEEDED  (Read 1486 times)
OCPablo
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: August 05, 2016, 10:04 PM »

Hey all,

Just picked up a used rev, with quad sticks.  Some of the original lines are missing, trying to figure out how far down the connector mounts on the vertile spar so I can sort out new lines I'll need to make.

Can anyone help me out? Article I found on Rev's website (in the Rev forum) is now MIA!

Thanks

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:34 PM »

What size rev do you have?
Think it's 14 inches on a 1.5 and 12 on a rev2 size. Think. I can check my 1.5 but will be in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
riffclown
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:24 AM »

From Paul LeMaster's description.. I captured this offline because I plan to make some for myself as well..
disclaimer: Magix Stiks on the back aren't going to make you a master,.... and if you're one already you may not like the difference either!
For the first seven years I laughed at folks using training wheels, then I gave 'em a fair chance and found out I liked it better with, than without. I even use then on my indoor kites now!!!! In my limited quad-line experience of about 10 hours a week since '93, here's my response to the differences question.

larger wind window (kite doesn't fall out of the sky at the edges nearly as easily)

no more bow-tie, (half the wing can't invert over upon itself when teaching lessons)

no walk of shame, (it's much more difficult to snag a flying line)

better float, (you can release the kite entirely when it's inverted and it will glide straight down unattended & slowly)

More stiffness or structure to the kite = easier to dump air and flat spin, flip inside out, 3-D movements, etc

weight increase of the training wheels is offset by the ability to use lighter weight components through-out

For outdoor kites I use point 125 carbon tubes,
long sticks would be half the length of your down tubes, short would be a 1/3.
the tubes are sold at a length of 48 inches, so perfectly cut you'd get three 16 inchers out of the original length

I force a 2MM FSD Nock endcap (not a slotted cap, but the full-hole style) onto the end,
The other end is a LONG vinyl endcap to fit a .125 stick

You need a APA standoff that fits tightly onto your down tubes
I have used hot water to soften the rubbery material, then slide it on and wait for it to cool into place.
I've used vinyl tubing to make stoppers and I've used vinyl electrical tape to hold em in position also if the fit is loose.

You will make a little tiny patch (an inch in diameter) to go underneath the standoff fitting on the back of the sail. Take a matching/or contrasting piece of fabric and coat the back with stripes of 9460 3M adhesive (double sided tape, the stuff is designed to adhere two metals together!!!)
slap it in place and leave a heavy weight on it overnight or carefully iron it using a low setting to fuse in place)

75# to 90# sprectra for the truss lines
You want 'em tight, but no so tight that it adds curvature to the frame. Carefully pass the line thru the end cap hole, insuring the magix stick is centered-vertical and tie off in two directions. You want no knots on the endcaps and no distortion of the frame members! You aren't running four lines but instead it's two, folded in half and secured at the endcap. A couple of wraps around the cap will prevent any slipage.

I position the standoff fitting about 11-1/2 to 12 inches measured down from the leading edge top.

You can go to a lighter and tapered Skyshark tube for the downspars also. I've never broken a Response 12 tube since I began using them. You can buy blemished tubes for a couple of dollars each from the distributor. I've never had one of these fail either and I've been teaching & abusing my own kites for many years.

The last benefit?
If, after a couple of weeks on trial-basis, you don't like it, they're easy to remove. Pull off the stand-off fitting & cut away the truss lines.

I also sent you the PDF attachment from the Rev Forum so you have an offline copy as well. Sent to your listed email..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:07 PM by riffclown » Logged
OCPablo
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 08:15 AM »

Wow... Thank you!!!!!

Off to build the kit now.

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
makatakam
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:25 PM »

Nobody knows sticks better than LeMasters -- nobody! PM him if you need any help.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:05 AM »

the kite that is most profoundly affected by this modification is the Zen.  It is way too flexible in it's stock format.

that kite gets a 18 inch sissy stick and using the same proportion for the fitting location as the 1.5 platform size.  11.5 or 12 inches down from the top of the leading edge down spar (base upon a 30 inch frame member)

NOTE the sissy stick proportional length works out math-wise to 19point something inches, but then the kite WILL NOT return to you in a catch action, instead it will horseshoe around the other direction in flight and head back down wind,... all floaty like an oak leaf!!!!

the Zen is 20% bigger so multiply 12" by 120% equals fourteen point four inches down from the top of the leading edge spar for the fitting location.

Shook palace sells these items if you're interested.  I'd highly recommend the addition of a French bridle too, while you're on the phone. Then the kite can fly in no wind all the way up to when a mid-vent becomes necessary.

I have friends and their ZENs are also set-up this way.  Jeffery Burka has no other Revs with sticks and Paul Dugard only likes a french bridle on his low wind and SUL models.

Your milage may vary!
-plm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom