GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 09:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From a Novice to a Beginner  (Read 2368 times)
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: August 07, 2009, 02:49 PM »

I am approaching the 3yr mark in flying and thought I might share some observations and lessons learned.

1. Asking a lot of questions is a good thing. You will find someone with the patience to answer them even though they have been asked and answered a thousand times before by others.

2. Everyone has an opinion about what is best and how to do something the right way in kiting. Accept advice for what it is, advice. I have found “experience is still the best teacher”.

3. Practice will make all your kites fly better.

4. All of your kites will learn to axel once one of them does.

5. All of your kites will fly in lower wind after you have flown a thousand hours.

6. Many have looked for the perfect kite and when you become addicted to flying you will join that group of people.

7. The odds of you finding that perfect kite are roughly equal to winning the lottery without ever buying a ticket.

8. The wind range listed for kites labeled SUL, UL, Light, Standard and Vented are at best guidelines, not facts.

9. Sleeving or not sleeving lines will be a topic of endless debate but sleeved lines are much easier to remove from a bridle, especially with cold fingers.

10. You can fly in rain, sleet and snow but after awhile you may find yourself asking why?

11. Doing 100 different tricks is relatively easy compared to doing 10 tricks consistently well.

12. Most people will quit flying before they really know how to fly and thus are missing out on when the fun actually begins.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:00 PM »

Cheesy Right on!

"Do what you like"
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:07 PM »

Excellent list!

Allen, AKA kitehead
Blownfuse
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:14 AM »

Nice list. As an absolute beginner it is both comforting, and a wee bit scary.....  Shocked

Best ever consultation ! Doctors order : Go fly a kite !  (literally, no joke)
kevspilly

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:09 PM »

4. All of your kites will learn to axel once one of them does.

Yep love that one, true for most other tricks as well.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:28 PM »

THANX GEB great list and food for thought  KO

have fun kurt
GEB

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:52 PM »

Nice list. As an absolute beginner it is both comforting, and a wee bit scary.....  Shocked

I would classify myself as a relatively slow learner when it comes to kite flying. But I now find myself doing things with a kite that not long ago I would have said "no way" or "how in the world did they do that". It just took practice, a little patience and getting over the initial "OH NO, I am going to kill this thing". Crashing is simply part of learning. Every time I try to learn something new I begin crashing all over again. I have become quite used to the comment "Look mom he crashed it". I also have become quite good at being able to untangle a kite without walking the “walk of shame”. Now that took a lot of practice. Just hang in there and have fun.  Smiley
Blownfuse

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 02:24 PM »

Well now... If there´s one thing I aint afraid of, it´s crashing. Offcourse I don´t exactly enjoy it, but hey, whataya gonna do. So far the only real damage has been a snapped lower spreader, so that´s not so bad. My best (most expensive) kite so far is a Wolkenstürmer Devil, so the occasionel crash is acceptable. And though I like my Wolkenstürmer, I am hoping to upgrade soon (kite-wise), and hope that the crash-frequency is reduced by then.

And though I have alll to little time to go flying, I still enjoy it, and understands more and more for each outing. But then again, each outing also results in new questions and headscratching.... But, progress, however little, there is.
 Smiley

Best ever consultation ! Doctors order : Go fly a kite !  (literally, no joke)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 03:11 PM »

My best (most expensive) kite so far is a Wolkenstürmer Devil

Kind of fond of the monochrome black sail with the accent color on the spine panel.  Their Electra kites are also quite attractive.

ATB,
Sam
kitechick

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 03:53 PM »

Funny and so true list.

I would add that wind makes a huge difference.
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 11:06 PM »

Very good summery of the journey Smiley

You might also be able to add something along these lines:

No matter how long you spend on the 'colorizer', by the time you've got the hang of your 'new' custom kite it will look, well, not that striking anymore...

WinterDaze AoF
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 06:53 AM »

No matter how long you spend on the 'colorizer', by the time you've got the hang of your 'new' custom kite it will look, well, not that striking anymore...

Definitely not always true.

ATB,
Sam
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 05:31 PM »

Alright Sam I could concede a little on this  Wink, I suppose it also depends on the phrase 'getting the hang' as well...

WinterDaze AoF
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 09:36 PM »

I'm with WD on the colorizer thing.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography