GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 12:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Moon Kite Clarification  (Read 6042 times)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: August 09, 2009, 02:59 PM »

Since the Muse is recommended so much I decided to look at the Blue Moon website and was a little confused on the line.

The Muse seems like entry level based on the Mantis.  No standoffs.  $229.  Often referred to as the best value for the money.

The "flagship" kite is the Mamba.  $279.  If you are going to save a bit more for the Muse why not save a bit longer and get the best in the line?  I gather the Muse is a better value but doesn't the $50 get you the top of the line?

The Mantis is also $279.  I would have expected the "flagship" kite to have the highest entry fee but it does not.   Sale design is the same as the Muse?  How does this differ from the Mamba?

Exile is middle of the line at $259.  Described as very neutral.  How does this stack up against the remaining line? 

Thanks for any clarifications.
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:21 PM »

The Mamba is a large Ballet kite, while the Muse and Mantis are more trick oriented. I love my Muse, but the Exile is a better all around kite.
I am not sure where you got the "No Stand-Offs" from? the Muse stand-offs are not moveable like the Mantis. But is has them.
Rx
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 03:40 PM »

The Mamba is very responsive, needs only small hand inputs and will reward proper flying and trick technique with gorgeous flight and tricks.

However, the Mamba, like any elegant lady, doesn't reward sloppy technique. You will be scolded with wavy flight and tipwraps.

The Mamba is nimble, efficient and crisp. The taut sail will literally make a whip like cracking sound when a hard corner is done well. In Laurent Moll's hands, the Mamba did the very difficult Steps Down figure with room to spare. It was a visual and audio treat to watch and hear.

The Mamba also has the most versatile sail pattern IMHO. Here is the best looking Mamba. It is not mine. Many others have copied this sail pattern, but none look as good. Mine is the Yellowjacket next. The bird pattern is also a stunner.

Ken has made well over 5000 kites personally. I have the utmost respect for him and the kites he makes.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 03:45 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:41 PM »

The Mamba is the original design of the Blue Moon Kites lineup, which has been modified and developed of a period of nine or more years.  The kite is a beautiful preformer from which both the Mantis and the Exile evloved  The three designs, with the exception of the Muse, have vented and UL version.

Ken McNeil, the desgner and builder, is a one-man opration.  Until recently he wholesaled his kites to retailers across the US.  Since the recent depression hit, Ken apparently cut back his operation for his own reasons.  His kites are expertly and meticiliously constructed.  His work is a benchmark in the kite world.

You would do well to buy anyone of his kites.

Gardner
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:48 PM »

.  The kite is a beautiful preformer from which both the Mantis and the Exile evloved  The three designs, with the exception of the Muse, have vented and UL version.

You would do well to buy anyone of his kites.

Gardner
Is Ken making the vented Exile ? I heard mention of it on his website, but haven't heard that one was made yet. I'll be on that list...

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 05:58 PM »

People have been agitating for a vented Exile, myself included.

It appears that kmac may be considering it:

http://www.bluemoonfabrications.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=2.55&TOPIC_ID=449&#6895

Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 08:32 PM »

Mamba, Mantis, & Exile, are all different kites with different goals in mind.  I own and fly all of these kites.

Mamba is a great kite and my fav of all BMK kites.  Very solid feel and good precision on the lines.  As chilese said  "However, the Mamba, like any elegant lady, doesn't reward sloppy technique."  It is a very fun kite to fly when you get comfortable with it.  But if you are looking to do all the latest and greatest twisty-turny wrap-n-roll tricks, you may be better off looking at the other BMK kites. 

The Mantis is a great kite and very trick capable with some very good precision as well.  It is very adjustable with multiple standoff positions to tune to your desired flying tastes.  I have not flown the Muse but I believe it is based on the Mantis without the adjustable standoffs.

(I may flamed for this but) I dont like the Exile so much.  In my hands it is less precise as the Mantis and a bit less forgiving.  Still very tricky and maybe aimed more towards freestyle flying.  Lots of people love this kite, but I just haven't gotten comfortable with it.

As with any kite purchase, determining what your skill level is, what your flying goals are (fun, comps, tricks, or ballet), and budget, is the best place to start when choosing a new kite.

jim
Some of my Blue Moons:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:50 PM by Schook » Logged

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 09:15 PM »

i agree with everything stated here. I, though, prefer the muse to the mantis. I think the muse is a bit more well behaved, and i cant really put my finger on why. I had two mantis's and didnt like them, so i sold them. The muses i have (i have both kinds) for some reason are my favorite kite right now. Im not the best to explain why I didnt like the mantis because to be honest i cant really put my finger on EXACTLY why. The Muse is extremely precise, and will do all the modern tricks. Commetes look great on it, and it loves to be on its back.

The exile is deffenantly a tricky little kite. Itll roll up and all that jazz- and like on kens site, it performs oldschool tricks aswell as the new stuff.

The Mamba is absolutely amazing. Because i flew a mamba (zach gordons) it prompted me to do a total bag overhaul to all, well all but about 4, bluemoon kites. and im not dissapointed with that change at all. very precisce, and as said, it wont hand out tricks unless they're executed well. I actully started learning the Commete on the mamba because i knew it wouldnt do it without the RIGHT imputs. and man did it help with learning it. same goes with setting the kite on its back at a certain angle to get it to multilazy. if its not right, the kite simply wont do it and theres nothing you can do but work with it. I took what the mamba taught me and applied it to every kite ive flown sence and my skills have skyrocketed.

heres some pics...

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:06 PM »

The Exile rolls up more easily, but the Muse does as well if you throw on a couple of the barrel weights.  I just liked the overall feel of the Muse slightly better for everything but rollups, but they are for sure both sweet flying amazing kites.

I've flown the UL and Standard versions of both the Muse and Exile - and they are both exceptional kites - you can't go wrong with either decision.  They both have that smooth BMK kite feel - you can tell they are part of a family.

6 kite tom
kmac
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:01 AM »

Since the Muse is recommended so much I decided to look at the Blue Moon website and was a little confused on the line...

...The Mantis is also $279.  I would have expected the "flagship" kite to have the highest entry fee but it does not.

Pricing can be confusing, and honestly, from my perspective, a bit of a PITB.  For the most part, I price based on the time it takes me to make a kite and the materials that are in it.   It has nothing to do with the core performance of the kite or its place in the lineup.

Ken@BMK
kiten00b
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 10:52 AM »

The Muse isn't an entry level kite.
It's one of the best bang-for-buck values available.
kmac
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 02:48 PM »

I would have expected the "flagship" kite (Mamba) to have the highest entry fee but it does not...

Corrected, thanks.  Wink

Ken@BMK
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 03:46 PM »

I would have expected the "flagship" kite (Mamba) to have the highest entry fee but it does not...

Corrected, thanks.  Wink

Ken@BMK

I thought this was a joke but the cost for the Mamba did go up Huh.  Now no one will respond to my posts.  Does this mean I will loose access rights to the forum Cry?

I was very surprised by the large number of responses.  The BlueMoon owners are very loyal to the brand and everyone seems to have their own favorite and in some cases that may be the entire line.  It was also interesting to learn that Ken is a one man shop.  5000 kites seem like a big job for one man to make but at least the quality control is taken care of.

How many people can say they received two responses from Ken in one day with one changing his pricing structure.  At least I am famous for something.

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 04:06 PM »

At least I am famous for something.
I think the word is "infamous".

Wink

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 04:34 PM »

Don't know if I would brag too much about that one...  Grin Grin

I think that the loyalty that you see from Blue Moon owners is not because of the brand name but more because of the quality and performance that the Blue Moon kites deliver.  That and the personalized contact you get from talking directly to the man that designs/cuts/sews/tests/packages and ships the kites that you are going to be purchasing.  You really can't get much more personal or custom than that.

The other reason for the loyalty and admiration is that Ken is a superb stand up and honorable guy that I too have the highest respect for as both a friend and a pilot.  His quality and design will make you want one of his kites for yourself, his friendship and personalization he puts into every one of his kites will make you want to cherish the kite as a piece of fine art.

Respect in the kite industry can't be purchased or borrowed, it must be earned and Ken has earned more than his fair share.

I too am a proud owner of a Blue Moon Kite(s).  My Ichaban is absolutely beautiful and my Moonie Exile is just awesome.  When I want to brag, those are the kites that come out of the bag. Smiley  Just wish my flying skills were as good as the kites. lol

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum