GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 12:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: are you a "green" person?  (Read 1304 times)
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: August 09, 2009, 05:07 PM »

No way to recycle anything in my area so everything goes into the landfill. I can save aluminun but must drive 20 miles to get it off my hands. It all kinda pisses me off because I would like to, and actually feel guility putting plastic in the trash.

http://izismile.com/2009/05/13/our_plastic_world_20_pics.html

I do drive a Scion XB but have an old beater, 9 miles per gallon, truck for work. It doesn't smoke or burn oil though.

carbon rods and ripstop doesn't recycle either Shocked

"Do what you like"
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 05:48 PM »

"are you a "green" person?"

When I saw that Deep Space UL the other day, I was.

Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 07:21 PM »

No way to recycle anything in my area so everything goes into the landfill. I can save aluminun but must drive 20 miles to get it off my hands. It all kinda pisses me off because I would like to, and actually feel guility putting plastic in the trash.

http://izismile.com/2009/05/13/our_plastic_world_20_pics.html

I do drive a Scion XB but have an old beater, 9 miles per gallon, truck for work. It doesn't smoke or burn oil though.

carbon rods and ripstop doesn't recycle either Shocked

None of these recycle centers in your area? That would be terrible

My father spends half the year in the Village of Northport, Michigan and they have large bins set on city property and they get picked up each week

Maybe if you call the closest center to you they can arrange something, also town hall meetings is a great place to voice you concerns of the local environment. Recycle is actually big business, in NY they have armed guards protecting the paper recycling drop offs

Not being political, just hope to leave a smaller foot print

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 03:59 AM »

. Recycle is actually big business, in NY they have armed guards protecting the paper recycling drop offs

Cheesy

Where did you hear that ?

NY is probably very low on the list of recycling towns. I don't live in the city, just close enough for discomfort. Out by me, they have 'recycles' pickup day. At the end of the day, the trucks come back to the transfer station, and dump all the paper, plastics, and metals into the pile of trash that they picked up the day before on regular garbage day. Then it all gets put into big trucks and taken to whatever state charges the least to get rid of it. I don't know, the final destination may sort it out and recycle, but on this side it is a huge joke. The thought that you can get fined for improperly sorting your garbage, and then it just all gets put in the same pile is just silly. I think that is why Bloomberg put recycling on hold for a few years in NYC. I think the city is recycling again, though.
~Rob.

DWayne

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 08:41 AM »

I recycle over 300 tons of green waste a month.

Part of it goes to feed my garden.

Part of the waste from the garden goes to feed the pigs.

And their waste with the rest of the garden waste goes back into a compost pile.

And we recycle all our household waste too.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:01 PM »

And remember to take the bottle caps off your plastic bottles.  Huh

Really!

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18 PM »

And remember to take the bottle caps off your plastic bottles.  Huh

Really!

I do I do

"Do what you like"
kiteking

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 06:16 PM »

Cheesy

Where did you hear that ?

[/quote]

http://www.greendaily.com/2007/09/26/recycling-is-big-business-and-so-is-stealing-recyclables/

In New York City, several trucks with out of state license plates have been zipping through the city at night and picking up recyclables before the city trucks come out in the morning. New York officials estimate that the city could be losing up to 15,000 tons of paper a year. And that's just from Manhattan. The city gets between $10 and $30 per ton of paper it recycles, which means thieves are costing the city up to $300,000 a year.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg is expected to sign a bill that would raise the offense for stealing recyclables from the curb from $100 to $2000 for a first offense. Repeat offenders could face fines of up to $5,000. In other words, recycling pays. Crime doesn't.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 07:12 PM »

I still didn't see the part about armed guards...

And $300,00 per year ? NYC probably makes that much every day (except Sunday) from parking meters alone...

From a green point of view, who cares who takes it to be recycled, it still gets recycled.

streamhawk
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:30 AM »

I live in backward ol Arkansas, and my hometown has curbside recycling per household, you don't even have to seperate the items, all goes into one green bin that's sorted by the pickup, the recycling truck has the bins for glass, aluminum, paper, plastic, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document