GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 04:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleight of Hand 3  (Read 2446 times)
Adicakes
Trade Count: (0)
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:10 PM »

Shamelessly cross-posted from the other side of the pond...

Hi all,

After some lengthy delays due to nasty weather, the new Sleight of Hand video is finally ready. Smiley

The video shows a bit of the suburb where I fly and also features one of the new generation Skyshark Geminis. The general idea this session was to focus on the rolly-spinny types of moves that the Gem is best at, toy around with the humble lewis, and punctuate things with two-point landings. Wind was overland and bumpy, varying in direction by about 40 degrees, but I did what I could.

You can download high and low quality versions from:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~adrianb/kites/

Before I sign off - I get the impression that these new Gems are perhaps a bit overlooked. That doesn't add up to me at all because its a great kite, tricky as ever, but now with a stiffer, stronger frame and many neat build touches. If you don't have a Gem, or even if you've got an older Structil one, consider treating yourself. I highly recommend it.  Smiley

Cheers,

A.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 10:23 PM »

Nice Adrian!

Enjoyed that immensely.

I agree that the updated Gem deserves more love, not that the Gem doesn't get love. It just deserves more than it gets these days.

:thumbs:

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:54 PM »

Didn't like the music  Cool

WinterDaze AoF
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:26 AM »

Sweet Gemness there.

Was that group "Within Temptation"?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 12:31 AM »

Found this on Bensons in general including the Gem, http://wardley.org/kites/design.html#Gemini

I was flying with a guy today who had one he bought last year (the updated model) - he was having lots of fun.  I was surprised that the kite did multi-lazys and JLs so well.  Pretty amazing it still compares well to the new stuff given that it came out when the backspin was a hot design goal.

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:13 AM »

man i just love your videos. they're chock full of these little moments where i say to myself 'dang, that was cool'. not only is your style very smooth but your transitions are seamless and your combination's show creativity in your flying.

your videos always remind me of things i forget to do or try while i'm out flying, like the nice duplex you have in there, or the fade to 540.

thanks so much for taking the time to fly, film, edit, and share with us, it's greatly appreciated (at least by me).  Smiley

Fdeli
portley777

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 03:21 AM »

Fantastic work once again Adrian! I don't know how you managed to get it done with the weather we've been having (for ever seemingly). Double ditto on the smooth transitions Wink

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
Adicakes
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 06:19 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Smiley

Chilese: the song is "My Little Phoenix" from Tarja Turunen's solo album "My Winter Storm".  The phoenix thing relates to the fact that the kite in the video is the second Gem of its kind - the first one I had went under the deadly heal of a back-peddling oaf.

fidelio:  sorry I couldn't get any torpilles in as planned.  A handful were recorded but what I found was that you only got about 1.5 rotations by the time the kite was in-shot.  Somewhere down the track there'll be a SoH done using the Minigem and I remember that kite to be a real king at torpilles.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:36 PM »

maybe you could just film one so i can see the trick. i'm having difficulty envisioning what it looks like.

thanks for keeping me in mind though, and remembering i was asking for it. Smiley

cheers

Fdeli
Ace

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:08 AM »

Hey Adrian
Another ripper effort, great to watch. Still can't believe you got all that over the weekend with the wind blowing the way it was.
Great video and great editing too. As for the music.. my 2 year old seem to like it, she watched the whole video sitting on my lap. Didn't move once Wink You think there's a future kite flyer there.... suites me Wink

Very Cool  Cool Cool Cool Thanks for sharing!

Now all I have to do is convince you to do that with my E2 Tongue

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Adicakes
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 04:44 AM »

You think there's a future kite flyer there....

Surely a natural on the straps.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum