GWTW Forum
December 18, 2018, 06:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batkite from China.  (Read 61011 times)
pompebled
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 31, 2016, 08:19 AM »

As Halloween is approaching, I thought a batkite was in order.

I found a 190 cm span kite on Aliexpress and ordered one.
Upon arrival it turned out to be the type with the bowed spar in front of the kite, which I had seen before, but never flewn myself.

As it turned out, this kite fies very well at a very steep angle, you'll hurt your neck looking up to it when the line is shorter than 50 m.
It also has a considerable pull, I needed a 18 Kg line to avoid snapping the line.

After an hour and a half, the kite was reeled in and to my surprise, the two unsupported (no rods) ends of the trailing edge had already started to fray.
Not a big deal considering the price, but the material used was most certainly not ripstop...

I repaired the frayed corners with selfadhesive spinaker tape and sewed over it with the machine.
I also reinforced the sleeves for the wing rods, as the material started to get thin too.
While I was at it, and had the kite taken apart, I took out all glassfiber rods and rounded the ends to reduce the wear in their pockets.

Regards, Jan.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:22 AM by pompebled » Logged

Kiteflyers are nice people.
pompebled

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:20 AM »

And another picture of the reinforced wing rod.

Jan.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kiteflyers are nice people.
Chooks

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 04:49 PM »

I had a lad turn up at my local sports ground with an orange coloured one of these.
It flew well too but flapped it's self to death in a reasonable wind. It ripped as you have shown as if the edges were not heat sealed before sewing and had pulled the stitching through the material as it undid the weave. Certainly not ripstop but no idea what the material is. It had faded areas where the kite had been creased/crinkled when packed in the bag and not due to sunlight. Really strange material I have never seen before in Western Australia.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 12:19 PM »

I looked at one of these a friend got to check out and honestly they are crap.  THe design is good and they fly well but build quality is utter crap.  The nylon used is the same cheap 3/4oz non-ripstop nylon they use for "puffer" jackets. Nothing is hot cut, nothing is reinforced and the rods are rough cut.  THe Demo one my friend got didn't even survive first assembly.  These are pretty much a throwaway kite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom