GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 06:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APOTOW  (Read 1102 times)
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« on: August 12, 2009, 06:55 AM »

APOTOW - Another Post Office Tale of Woe

I've sent and received dozens of kites through the USPS over the years with no problems; always on time, no lost shipments, and no damage other than a creased box occasionally.  Recently, I bought a Vendetta from the swap.  Chris and I have done several deals together and he's a great guy so I knew we'd have a smooth transaction and I'd have a nice kite to add to the collection.

The box shipped from Ohio to Indiana in two days.  Here is what I received:

The box had been broken in half and taped together.  One half was crushed.  Either this box suffered a bad accident or someone needs an anger management class.

As you can see, almost every frame tube was broken into two to four pieces.  Only the upper spreader, two standoffs, and the spine extension survived.  Amazingly the sail suffered only one tear where the spine punched through.

I promptly took the box to my local PO.  They acknowledged something probably happened in shipment but since the box was not insured there was nothing they could or would do to help me. If the box HAD been insured the PO would have assumed responsibility and made it right.  Sigh.

Moral of this story: Always ship with insurance and delivery confirmation. The additional cost is low and just one lost kite will make you a believer.

Fortunately I have a box of spare tubes and experience reframing kites.  An evening with the Dremel and some CA had Humpty back together again:

So the Vendetta lives and flies quite nicely - thanks Chris!  I can no longer be accused of being a total Blue Moon and Aerostar bigot, just mostly  Cool
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:58 AM by stapp59 » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:24 AM »

I'm glad to see another one of my kites has found its way into your bag.  Wink
Really sad to see what they did to it though.  Cry

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:20 AM »

I'm glad to see another one of my kites has found its way into your bag.  Wink
Really sad to see what they did to it though.  Cry

Denny

You're telling me.  I folded that fresh new box only an hour before handing it over to the PO.  Who would have thought a 5 to 7 hour drive across one state border could have caused that much damage to an item.  I'll definitely be insuring everything from now on.   Cry

stapp59
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 11:56 AM »

All's well that ends well I suppose.   At least they didn't lose the box Roll Eyes

Denny I should have picked up the UL while I had the chance.  The other BMKs are in the car and get flown often.  Am trying to wear them out but I don't think I'll be successful.  Ken's kites wear very well indeed.  Smiley
Beachbum
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:10 PM »

Jeez, it looks like someone ran it over with a forklift.  I remember almost losing my first Vendetta I sold to DHL.  I had to keep calling them and even sent them a picture (Thank you Mr. Chilese) so they could ID it.

...and I didn't insure it, so I'm also glad another Vendetta survived.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 03:20 PM »

I NEVER ship without insurance.

"Do what you like"
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 05:36 PM »

You know its to bad the Post Office doesn't have basic coverage, especially when it is clearly their fault

UPS has this on all shipments:Shipments are automatically protected against loss or damage up to US$100.00. Protection up to US$50,000.00 per package is available for an additional charge at the time of shipping.

I had a kite arrive from Coastal Kites that was obviously stepped on or driven over, both leading edges and the spine were all broken in the same spot, it was shipped UPS, so they sent me a replacement and Coastal filed the clam w/UPS, 2 day longer wait but I ended up with a extra sail.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document