GWTW Forum
December 15, 2018, 02:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Stakes? Managing Line Sets? Ideas for multi-SLK layout?  (Read 26753 times)
Fly Market
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 10:34 AM »

You mean plastic stakes that get brittle over time, crack if they hit a rock as you pound them in, or break if you step on them? No thanks! They may work for you, but there's too much risk there.
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 01:53 PM »

Yea!!! I chipped a few in my day and missed with the hammer and cracked a couple......  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  But they do work O.K.  Not too expensive.  I like to wrapped a lead around something solid a pole, tree,bench... That's when I feel safest.  But pounding a Home Depot stake has been my M.O.

Here is an example of how I stake a kite... A Flo Tail single stake in ground ...walk the kite out and let the wind do the rest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QkhUxsZ2AI
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:14 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag: Widow Maker std. Ul, Solus std.,Ocius ul, Ocius sul,Pro Dancer,Inak,TNT,(new) Reloaded.
OCPablo
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 02:50 PM »

My bad.. I mean once you have your line rolled up onto the spool, what is a good way to secure that line.  I have tried a couple of ways but all I end up with are a bunch of spools with lose line all messed up.  Just looking to keep things organized.

This is the way to secure your line on a hoop. If you have a loop at the end of your line, just pull the line through the loop instead of using a swivel. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WBgube5PvJU

this is what I do on my hoop winders....works great...

i put most of my line on flat card winders so that I can use a flat pocketed line bag and carry lots of single line lines....

I have shorter line lengths preset...i am not a "put your kite as high into the sky as possible" flyer...i like to be able to see them.....so most of my lines are 100-200' long...all different weights...

tie downs: i use simple golf ball/tent peg stakes the most....bigger things i use anchor lines of thicker rope that are a loop - these go around car tires, trees, fence posts etc........and then after launching the kite the flying line gets larskheaded to the end of the anchor line.

sand: blech..i hate it but it is my closet flying place...
small kites: i have saved some screwtop plastic bottles....put a chunk of line out of the center of the cap...dig small hole with steep sides...put sand from hole into bottle...larkshead kite line to bottle line...drop bottle into hole.
Bigger kites: soft sand anchors - usually hand out cheap fabric shopping bags with a 1" wide tie down strap that also goes around it. same thing, dig steep hole...put sand in bag....anchor flying line to bag anchor (could be a simple carabiner)...slide bag into hole...

The important thing is the hole when you are on the beach & steep sides! that way any lateral movement of the bag is immediately stopped....your anchor is not going to shuffle down the beach on you....much more reliable.....

planning the flight display? i do try to organize longer kites downwind further....i try to put higher angle flying kites, that are also reliable stable flying upwind.
most important thing in my book is to know, or at least be able to guess, how the kite will fly....i have beautiful kites that I love to fly that are horrible at playing with others...i bring those out when I am able to only fly one kite and manage it all of the time.   some kites just need an active hand and eye on them and are not suitable for groups....  (here is my Frido II stack...this stack does not come out near anyone else! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV6PC1SG9aM each kite ins flying on a branched line and they are all out of control)
If kites get all wrapped up into each other you might find more damage than you realize....line under tension cuts very well...and can cut through rubber fittings and fabric....rods can shatter under tension and cut.....

also: when you are setting out a display plan your time! i have found that any kite i have takes at least 1.5 times (usually 2-3 times though) to put away as it did taking it out and flying it.... it is real easy to let line get stripped off the winder with the kite happily taking it...but then to bring it back in again takes MUCH longer....
I have been caught a few times at a park putting away kites in the dark...if this happens, count on losing rods or fittings and leaving a line out there by accident.

Bringing in kites: if you wind the kites in by a winding spool you are putting more pressure on the kite than you would if you walk the kite down by hand over hand on the line, getting the kite out of the sky safely and then winding the line up later...plus if you bring the kite in by hand you are also in much more control of the situation.
Big kites definitely never try to bring the kite down without it still being anchored somehow...the best is to get a pulley or a carabiner and slide this over the flying line and then walk downwind slowly bring the kite down.....if something happens you can always let the line go and start over.....

Okay...just a few thoughts I have gathered over the years....r

Copy/paste/print/putitbag

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
Robin

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 07:26 PM »

I use two or three 5' stakes pushed into the ground about 5 feet apart on a 45 degree angle pointing into the wind. Tie the kite  line to the base of the first, top of the first to the base of the second, top of the second to the base of the third. This makes a really strong anchor for kites, pulling stumps etc. It should also work in sand but I have never tried it. "Flag" all your lines.
Oldgoat

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 11:03 AM »

I do most of my flying at the beach.  I would agree with most of what folks have said about stakes vs sand anchors.  I never use stakes at the beach.  I use a type sand anchor that is not a bag but rather a flat sheet.  This type of anchor is very effective and used by a lot of big kite fliers.  They are very easy to make out of relatively inexpensive and available materials.  You can find lots about this type of anchor and how to use it on the internet.  Just search for "kite sand anchor."
When planning on flying several kites in a more confined area I sometimes set the kites out in a diamond pattern.  Space the legs/points of the diamond as best the space allows.  If the kites are all flying at about the same altitude with fairly close flight angles if they are reasonably well behaved they will keep out of each others space even if the wind changes 180 degrees.
I also am not an altitude guy.  I like to keep my kites at around 150'  so I don't have big bunches of line on the winder.  Mostly I use extension cord winders.  The flat kind.  I try to find the stronger ones without the handle.  They don't distort as easily.  I too usually walk down my kite.  Take it off the line and then wind the line up without tension.  As thief mentioned, when you wind a kite up under tension it can crush a winder before you know what happened. 
As I said, I mostly agree with what the others have said.  Just adding my 2 cents.
 Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom