GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 08:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning dirty lines  (Read 1807 times)
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 12, 2009, 07:21 PM »

My lines are green. Cry I was trying to fly my kite in one of the "no fly zones" while camping on the north shore of Lake Erie. A narrow beach with a tree lined 30-40 foot ridge. First try, no good. I waited for the wind to pick up and found it was good if I stood out in the water with it just past my knees. It worked great for long time. So long my neck was getting sore from looking up at my kite. Smiley There was too many people around for me to try anything other than loops and figure 8's. When I landed my kite my lines went in the water. When I got it back in the air I found my line had become fouled with algea. Still flew though Smiley When I called it quits, my lines went into the water again and collected more nasty green algea. It was bad. As I was winding my lines, I had maybe 15-20 pounds of the stuff caught in my lines. Embarrassed It has even better when my wife tried to help Kiss by undoing my lines from the kite. Angry Now I'm up to about 40 pounds of green seaweed tangled in my lines with a big knot in the end. Cry Cry Cry

After I had everything sorted out I noticed my lines are now stained green and smell like the lake. Any ideas on how to clean my lines and get rid of the smell at least? I can live with the colour as it matches my kite Grin, but the smell has got to go. What kind of cleaners can I use that will not harm my lines?
melnsct
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:16 PM »

soak them in warm water and shampoo

Melanie in Tennessee
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:32 AM »

Yup, water & mild soap is generally OK. Try soaking them on the winder first and rinsing well and see if you get anywhere. Easier. Otherwise, stretch them out in the yard and use a sponge.

Allen, AKA kitehead
stapp59
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:01 AM »

I usually wrap them on the winder a little loosely and give them a power wash with a water hose  which gets rid of most of the dirt.  Certainly pre soaking in some mild soap will help with the stains.

I'd be tempted to put the winder in a laundry bag and toss them in with the next load but have not done this myself.  Spectra is pretty robust and the warm water and soap should not hurt them if rinsed well.

Warning!  Spectra will melt at relatively low temps.  Do NOT put them in the dryer...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:05 AM by stapp59 » Logged
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:47 AM »

all my line sets are not even close to being white anymore Cool

"Do what you like"
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 12:18 PM »

I spray mine with silicon every 2-3 months, but don't bother to clean them.  Keeps them reasonably slippery.

6 kite tom
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 12:31 PM »

Yup, wind loosely on winder. soak in water and mild soap and a little febreeze, then give it a scrub and everything will be fine. Your lines will dry while flying.  Cool
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 12:48 PM »

Real kiters fly with dirty lines.  Angry

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
streamhawk

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 01:56 PM »

Real kiters fly with dirty lines.  Angry

it's a dirty job, but....
iwannafly

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 07:18 AM »

Thanks. I let my lines soak in a sink of warm water with a bit of dish soap and gave them a scrub with a soft nail brush. Gave them a good rinse and strung them out in my back yard to dry. The green is mostly gone, and they look a lot better.

By the way, I don't mind if my lines get dirty. I just wanted to get rid of the smell. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document