360 video camera's any Info
(1/2) > >>
vertigo2u:
I still have not seen any 360 videos of kite flying...  I have been looking at 360's on the internet... Best Buy and Amazon... not too expensive.  I am just not sure what is good and at what price is enough.. enough!!   I am thinking a 360 video of flying with the pilot in the video also is going to be (as Larry David would say) pretty pretty cool.  Then a set of Google glasses on your head with music...Fo getta bout'

What is everyone's take on 360's and any suggestions.  I am thinking got to have at least 16 mp for photos.  Obviously HD 1080i or 4K...
fidelio:
because you're spreading the pixels over a large area and only looking at a small portion of the overall image at any moment anything less than 4k looks blurry as frig.

so far, i'm not a convert. just from the results, the samsung gear 360 seems the best of the bunch but ... the videos are a bear to watch as well.

they also don't shoot in 3d so in a "vr" scenario like google cardboard they're still just a flat video you have to turn your head to watch.

but if you have the money and want to make something for your own enjoyment hey, there's no harm in that. have fun with it. :)

(edit: a scenario like a big kite festival where there are huge kites flying all around though, i would imagine a few minutes with stationary camera positions so the viewer could look around at their leisure would be enjoyable.)
vertigo2u:
edit: a scenario like a big kite festival where there are huge kites flying all around though, i would imagine a few minutes with stationary camera positions so the viewer could look around at their leisure would be enjoyable.)

That has to be the best in photographing a kite fest...   ??? ??? ???  Everything at once...
tcope:
I bought a Samsung gear 360 camera about 3 months ago and am still in the testing phase. There certain are some limitations. First, the resolution. Even at 4k, you are only getting 1/2 that per lens at best. The best bit rate is around 50mbps but it will probably end up lower.

Once you capture the video 1/2 the battle is done. The other half is that each clips needs to be rendered or stitched before it can be used in any way. On a phone or computer this can easily take 10-20 minutes per clip. I'll usually transfer everything over to my computer and let Action Director start to stitch each clip. If there are 20 clips, this can take all night.

A big issue for me right now is editing. I'm using PowerDirector 15, made by Cyberlink. Cyberlink also made Action Director for Samsung to stitch the video. It's not the best editor but it does okay. My big issue is that I cannot currently select the starting view. So the viewers starting view is where ever the camera was pointed at the time. If the action turns out to the side, they need to pan around to see it. I'm hoping this gets fixed soon.

So the biggest drawback is the resolution. Anything not about 20' or closer to the camera does not show up well and looks a little blocky.

The other limitations are that the clips need to be something that a view can pretty much look in any direction and be entertained. So the person taking the video needs to use it in certain situations only. The other limitation I see is in that 360 video cannot be used with any other format (conventional video). So it's all 360 or nothing.

I just uploaded one quick clips that I took a few weeks ago in Lake Havasu. It's 100% unedited so it's nothing special. Make sure you turn the resolution up to 2160. Of course, it's best view with VR goggles.

https://youtu.be/p0URa0REnf0

Edit: I know John will LOVE this clip!
vertigo2u:
Thanks tcope I needed to hear and see some thing like that... Gave great info and might have saved me some serious cash  :-* ... video was actually priceless to me.  Showed me what I won't be able to do...
Navigation
Message Index
Next page