GWTW Forum
June 25, 2017, 03:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying Big Single line kites  (Read 1081 times)
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: March 17, 2017, 10:39 AM »

I was perusing OfferUp and found some kites for sale.  The seller wasn't too clear on what was there, the pictures were just jumbles of kite bags.  Anyway, there were two pairs of Rev handles, so I thought that I would take a look.

I drove away with van full of kites and kite fabric.  They seller wanted to get rid of all of it, so I just took it without looking at what all was there.

I opened up a few bags as we were unloading the van.  Many of the kites are cheap junk, but there were at least 10 large kite bags.  Two were large 10-16 foot Delta Coynes.  There was a Cody kite that I couldn't even figure out how to set up. 

Anyway, my experience is mostly with stunt kites and small single lines.  Are there tricks to flying these larger guys?  I know that for really large kites, I see that they are anchored to vehicles.  Is there a way to estimate how much pull a kite has?  I assume that one would want to leather gloves on hand, anything else?

It is going to take me a while to go through everything to see what is there.  There was a train of 20 early 90's stunt kites.  A lot of Roks.  Oh, and a 1951 C9 28' parachute.  Not sure what I will do with that.

Brett

formally known as grantb
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:31 PM »

Great another website to start browsing!!!

Wowser......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Dolittle
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:15 PM »

Quite a find!  Please post more pics as you sort through your treasures.  I'm very excited to see more. J.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:02 PM »

Gloves you got, if they are really big get a large caribeener or pulley that you can get over the line, put it on a leash to hold onto and walk them down. Never wind down a large or even medium size kite, leave them staked and walk them down.

We find a good dog leash made out of webbing works well to anchor a kite to an existing tree or pole, just larkshead it around something by passing the free end through the loop handle, I don't trust the hardware on the end and cut it off then just tie a knot to larkshead the flying line to.

Oh and when staking a kite out it's always a good idea to invest a few dollars in a roll of surveyors tape to tie on the line to make it visible to others so nobody gets "Clothes Lined" by your line in the park. Just a few tabs bowtied to just above head height.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:24 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+38)

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:42 AM »

You certainly don't want to "hand fly" large kites (or any kite with unknown characteristics in strong wind). Plan on anchoring somehow, depending on where you're flying.

At the beach, sand is a natural anchor. Bury a stuff sack full in the hole the sand came out of. Purpose made sand anchors are cheap and much stronger than a stuff sack. Avoid using stakes or screws in loose sand or soft dirt

For grass or firm dirt, stakes or screws long enough that they take some force to drive deep work well but can be dangerous if the kite pulls them loose.

Anchoring to fixed objects like trees, fences, benches is great if they are placed well. Webbing straps like Mike mentioned are super handy. Keep in mind, many outdoor objects are old, weathered and unstable. Be darn sure you are anchoring to something solid.

Keep in mind, a kite that pulls will gradually work almost any anchor loose when left alone for long periods. The small and large movements due to shifting wind and flight charachertisics are like some one patiently wiggling that fence post or playing with that knot.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:24 PM »

The design of the kite makes the biggest difference. Single line deltas don't have much pull. You should be able to fly what you mentioned on 200-500lbs line and a good anchor. To give you an idea of the pull, you could easily hold into that kite without any issue.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
DD
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:35 PM »

Go over to gomberg's site and read up on flying bigger kites and anchors. Buy REAL climbing hardware and not junk.
Just my 2 cents

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom