GWTW Forum
October 21, 2017, 01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Combo Straps 3.0 - DIY share  (Read 4772 times)
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: March 24, 2017, 10:39 AM »

Recently there has been some talk about line straps and handles, and several advanced models are available for purchase from both Europe and the United States.

I wanted to share with you the ones I designed for my own personal use,  which are a combination of different attributes I found helpful, from other designs, with some adaptation.

IMG_20170323_174829 by Iftah Burman, on Flickr IMG_20170323_174814 by Iftah Burman, on Flickr
IMG_20170323_174653 by Iftah Burman, on Flickr
IMG_20170323_174612 by Iftah Burman, on Flickr
IMG_20170323_174600 by Iftah Burman, on Flickr
IMG_20170323_174548 by Iftah Burman, on Flickr

This design allows me to have the straps around the wrist with two fingers guiding the motion, or in low wind to switch to two fingers in the loops with the pointing finger on the line. The blue band in the middle helps keep them in place on the wrist, and the two knots at the end allow for quick attachment to the lines, and a place to put my pointing finger on. The extra blue reinforcement keeps the strap from bending or twitching on the wrist.

I'm sharing the pics here so anyone with a sewing machine can repeat the same simple design for themselves if they wanted. However if you require more information I would be happy to provide it.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
makatakam
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:33 PM »

Very nice! You should publish the pattern for others to make, or make and sell them. I would buy a couple sets.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Palmahnic

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 01:54 PM »

Thanks!
I thought it was self explained, but if you think I should make a pattern, maybe I will put together a pdf. I'm not much for selling it, as there are a few really good craft strap makers right now out there, and I just wanted to put something so everyone can get an "open source" option.
Is there anyone who'd be interested in a pdf pattern, to make on their own?

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:58 PM »

Nice.  I make a similar set based on an improvement idea I had for prisms duos straps.  I use a sliding loop of webbing instead of a velcro strap like yours though for the wrist.  Heh, great minds n all that  Tongue
Palmahnic

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:45 PM »

Nice.  I make a similar set based on an improvement idea I had for prisms duos straps.  I use a sliding loop of webbing instead of a velcro strap like yours though for the wrist.  Heh, great minds n all that  Tongue

Smiley I guess that's serendipity for you  Wink Got a picture?

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
birdlovers
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 04:41 PM »

i WOULD AND WILL BUY A SET OR TWO  Smiley Smiley
Palmahnic

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 01:54 PM »

i WOULD AND WILL BUY A SET OR TWO  Smiley Smiley

Grin HA! Thanks for the ego boost, not making these to sell. But if you're  interested, Antonis Loumiotis has crafted high quality straps that are receiving excellent reviews, look for his name on Facebook.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:54 AM »

Why the blue webbing over the black on the very end/wrist part of the strap?

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
Palmahnic

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 12:50 PM »

A lot of thought and a lot more work went into designing and sewing these together. Nice job.
Very kind of you, thanks!

Why the blue webbing over the black on the very end/wrist part of the strap?
It makes that part more firm and less prone to bend and twist when the kite pulls.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Saiman1008
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 03:52 AM »

hI IFTABIM REALLY IMPRESSED BY YOUR COOL STRAPS,
ANY CHANCE OF A PDF FOR ME???
SORRY CAPS LOCK ON MY APPLE KEYBOARD PLAYING UP ,
CHEERS SAIMAN

Imagination is the highest kite one can fly !!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom