GWTW Forum
September 20, 2017, 06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Night lights for Revolution  (Read 622 times)
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: March 26, 2017, 01:31 PM »

I vaguely remember flying with someone(Jim?) once just outside of Seattle and I was just starting off with Revolution kites back then (around 2005?).

Anyhow, I remember he had found some pretty small lights that had elastic on each end ( I think ) and they almost looked like the old style oblong bulbs for dome lights on cars. They were perfect for the revolution and pretty much ANY kite for that matter.

I've looked high and low for these dag burn lights and I can't for the life of me find them or anything remotely close to them.

Anybody have any ideas or have come across any that are small enough to mount to a kite? These would come in packs of 4 I believe. It would be one at each point then a 5th would be right smack in the middle on the LE. So a second pack would be in order.
riffclown
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 02:03 PM »

They are called Finger lights..

Finger Lights Bright LED Assorted Color 100 Pack

You can get 100 of them for around $15 at Amazon

The bands attach to the frame nicely and will backlight the kite.. They also work very well on the Magic Sticks..You can point them towards the kite and get as really nice effect..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:07 PM by riffclown » Logged
socalman320

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 02:20 PM »

They are called Finger lights..

Finger Lights Bright LED Assorted Color 100 Pack

You can get 100 of them for around $15 at Amazon

The bands attach to the frame nicely and will backlight the kite.. They also work very well on the Magic Sticks..You can point them towards the kite and get as really nice effect..

WOW! Really???

Do you have pictures of them on your kite?

I found these....
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Bright-Flashlights-Supplies-Assorted/dp/B00D62VF1W
socalman320

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 03:14 PM »

Soo, the ones I found don't have a very good track record and the batteries are not replaceable unless you break the lights open.

The ones I saw in my original post actually had serviceable batteries.

Anyone else have any ideas?
riffclown
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 04:07 PM »

IMO at 16 cents apiece, they are almost disposable plus you can remove the LED and use for other projects. That's cheaper than the batteries you would have to buy to install..  I have 2 new boxes of 100 of the ETEKCITY brand you describe for an upcoming event. I function checked them when they arrived and all but maybe 3 worked. And those LEDs have already been used in other projects. I'm not saying these are great.. I'm saying they work pretty well for my purposes..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:41 PM by riffclown » Logged
socalman320

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 04:54 PM »

For the price, I may just buy a box. Only thing annoying is that according to the description they have a 6mth shelf life. Hmm...

I'm going to look into some of my email accounts to see where I put that link of the other ones I'm thinking about.  They had a battery that was like the 2032 or a bit smaller and serviceable.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 06:03 AM »

There used to be a dual LED light set that was a tube and had an LED at each end. then the tube had a slice in it and you slid a 2032 coin battery into the tube to get the lights powered....a big hit could knock the battery out, but otherwise they worked great.....
have not seen them in awhile though...
honestly a coin battery and a LED with taped down leads to the battery should work...search out "Throwie" and leave out the magnet

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
socalman320

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:52 PM »

There used to be a dual LED light set that was a tube and had an LED at each end. then the tube had a slice in it and you slid a 2032 coin battery into the tube to get the lights powered....a big hit could knock the battery out, but otherwise they worked great.....
have not seen them in awhile though...
honestly a coin battery and a LED with taped down leads to the battery should work...search out "Throwie" and leave out the magnet

Hmmm.....interesting. Damn, I wish I could remember where the blazes I stashed that link for the ones I saw. Sigh... Cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom