GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 05:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Tricky" SLK for young kid?  (Read 4157 times)
Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: August 14, 2009, 07:58 AM »

My 6yr old likes to go flying with me, but now that she has mastered the diamonds and penta kites, she is looking for something to do tricks.  She can let out line and reel back in fine but I dont think she is ready for dulies yet.

Any body have a suggestion for an easy to fly SLK that can be made to do some turns, loops, etc?

Thanks,
jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:02 AM »

http://www.bluemoonkites.com/6149.htm   Cool

or maybe a fighter??
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:15 AM »

This would probably be a good choice for a 6 year old.
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=1327.0

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:34 AM »

Little kids have a lot of fun with a tumbling kites like the Prism Triad. They can yank on it and it will get all squirrelly but generally will right itself and keep flying. Most 6 year olds are too young to spend the time to learn how to fly a kite like a fighter. The Prism Stowaway Diamond is fairly mobile without it's tail, and very strong.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:15 AM »

I would say triad or possibly an expandable object. The triad will fly in less wind. The eo's are great in smooth wind but are terrible in bumpy wind. I have a couple of eo8 and an eo10, you might alos look at the eo atom, not sure how the atom the flies.

Sine Metu!
indigo_wolf

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:34 AM »

Prism EO Atom.... needs a little bit of wind, but doesn't mind the bumpies.  Does nice slides, endos, and all sorts of entertaining tumbles.

Groundwork is exemplary, so early nosedives shouldn't be a source of frustration. 

Should be ok on grass and even sand, anything rougher will eventually wear through the dacron frame sleeves.

ATB,
Sam
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:51 AM »

Sam: how can you identify when an EO Atom does an endo???

i would shoot for the EO series if you are somewhere where there might be some sort of wind....otherwise go for an Aerobe for lighter wind fun flying (and toss the tail on for when there is more wind!)

if you could find an Rsky Bird'x that is fun and a good size too....

the Prism Flip is a cool one that while it is not controllable via the flyer it is in constant motion due to the spinning!

and if you want a controllable kite for the child AND you get a BM 61/49 and/or a Focus designs Skate..(personally i got both)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:56 AM »

Sam: how can you identify when an EO Atom does an endo???

If it is flying close to you and you give it a sharp tug it noses forward. Then it rocks back when the line springs against the expansion bungee... sort of like a SLK yo-yo.... sort of.  Wink

ATB,
Sam
kiten00b
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 10:16 AM »

Pop Kan, easy to assemble, tumbles, inexpensive.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 12:54 PM »

This would probably be a good choice for a 6 year old.
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=1327.0

Denny

Hey...hold on there Denny.

Well maybe not.....I'm getting 2 to feel 6yrs old again Cool

"Do what you like"
DWayne

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 05:49 PM »

I think all the videos of the Aerobe posted here show that its a kite for kids of all ages.  Grin

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 06:40 PM »

I second on the Triad.
I have given these to kids as yong as 4, they run around, bounce them off the ground and they relaunch ( the kite not the kid). They will also fly like a slow fighter...pull on the line and it will spin in  the direction they were heading and keep  spinning until you give them slack.
I destructible...pretty close, and for the price they can't be beat.

A great kid friendly kite.
Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 07:31 AM »

My boys were 5 and 6 when I tought them to fly dualies.  Those 3Ds I had took a lot of abuse but the boys learned to keep them up pretty quick.  Our game was how long they could keep the kite flying without crashing.  They lost interest after a couple of years but still fly every now and then and my youngest is still the better flyer.

Ron
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 12:02 AM »

Yeah I had the kid flying TRLBY's at 5 or 6 and she was on a full size Spin-Off by 7, sure it put her belly down and dragging across the sand at times but she always got her feet out front in a second or two and back in control  Cheesy 

Had her own Rev II by 8. Don't underestimate them, took me awhile just to master a soft two point landing off wind in relaunch position, told her how one night, looked away for two seconds and she's screaming "I did it, I did it" standing there with a big grin and the kite sitting pretty ready to go, little stinker.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum