GWTW Forum
August 17, 2017, 04:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Pro Gold vs. Climax Protec or Vector  (Read 1385 times)
coop
Trade Count: (+29)

« on: April 21, 2017, 10:02 AM »

Been looking at new linesets, guess its been awhile since I priced any cause Laser Pro Gold seems like its getting pricey.
I have a set of Vector lines I got from Jorgen a while back that are 150# @ 98ft and I can buy two sets of them for the price of same spec LPG.
Climax Protec (their best line) is similar, even with shipping from overseas I can get two set compared to LPG.

Whats everyones thoughts on Climax and Vector?

Personally I like the Vector set I have, its very responsive, easy to see, and has held up very well.

As LPG and Shanti are the only real quality brands available in the USA are they just marking them up to make more profit?
Frazer
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:06 PM »

For most ppl (myself included) it really doesn't matter which you use.

The key thing is replace the lines when they're worn and/or get sticky.

Tricking high end kites on &%#*ty lines is a fools errand.

-Frazer
tpatter
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:24 PM »

I buy LPG by the spool - it's much cheaper and tying your own lines is easy and empowering for when they eventually 'creep' and need to be re-cut to the same length again. 

I bought a 1000' spool years ago (my second) and still have some left.

6 kite tom
coop
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:46 PM »

For most ppl (myself included) it really doesn't matter which you use.

The key thing is replace the lines when they're worn and/or get sticky.

Tricking high end kites on &%#*ty lines is a fools errand.

-Frazer

I agree. I havent looked in awhile, this past weekend I broke a couple linesets in heavy wind flying my Hawaiians.
Its just odd how much more LPG and Shanti cost compared to the Climax and Vector lines. They're all spectra.
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:56 PM »

I got a chance to try both Vector and LPG just recently, and I'm definitely sticking with my Climax Protec.
I felt both were not as easy to trick as the Climax is, after a few twists. That's my own personal observation. I also bought a spool and am making my own sets, making the Climax an even cheaper option.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Hadge
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19 PM »

I haven't tried LPG or Vector, but I've used Climax Protec for several years and can't fault it. After initial flying in, line stretch is practically zero, it will take well over 20 twists without any sign of binding and it lasts for ages.  My oldest set I bought 5 years ago secondhand and I still use it! it's very faded, but no sign of any fraying at all. Good stuff!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 04:22 PM »

Last bulk line I have bought is Skybond and it is very nice line.

Nothing wrong with LPG.

Make your own line sets, it's easy, ands like Fraser says...replace regularly

The bottom line is use the best quality line that you can find with out having to trek to the Himalayas and wrest it from a Yeti.

Mike
Michel
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:42 PM »

[...] Personally I like the Vector set I have, its very responsive, easy to see, and has held up very well.

Unfortunatly, with the colored Vector lines, you'll have red, yellow, purple or green hands... Angry

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 04:25 PM by Michel » Logged
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 12:24 AM »

I use both Climax Protec and LPG. Love both but the Protec just seems to last longer when flying at the beach often. Picks up less dirt.

johnfarl

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 02:20 PM »

I was recently flying with someone (4 line team)who was flying I think Skybond.  On he broke line whenhit by another kite.  It is definite consideration. 

If a line is too stiff with no stretch or heats from stretching and from strain the you should avoid that line for team flying. LPG seems  very good on this account.

John

makatakam

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 02:37 PM »

I was recently flying with someone (4 line team)who was flying I think Skybond.  On he broke line whenhit by another kite.  It is definite consideration. 

If a line is too stiff with no stretch or heats from stretching and from strain the you should avoid that line for team flying. LPG seems  very good on this account.

John

Skybond is very good line. If the kite that hit the kite was a single-line, it cut the line because the lines used for flying single-line kites are less expensive and have a rougher surface. There are other reasons it got cut if it was another 4-line. Any line can cut any other line if the conditions and angles are right. Skybond line is the same quality as LPG, and they are compatible for team flying.

A stiff line with no stretch is exactly what you want for flying quad-line or dual-line sport kites. If someone is using lines that are old and dirty, it is the dirt/sand that causes the problem. Most people who fly team use the cleanest/newest lines they have as a courtesy to the other flyers. However, any time you cross lines with another kite there is a chance that one may get cut. The fun outweighs the risk.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:43 PM by makatakam » Logged

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Danceswithwinds

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 01:27 PM »

I have allways used Climax. I regularly clean and re-proof my lines with  the Climax cleaner and  proofer  kit.  Certainly keeps them in good condition and remain able to multi wrap without problem.
dszo

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 03:27 AM »

when I started I used to by Vector lines, but not any more:

1. they broke after a short time

2. I have one set still in use. whenever I fold the line into the winder some of the green paint stays on my hand.

3. after a short time the fraction between the 2 lines becomes too high

I have sets of Climax Protec (1 year in use) and 2 news sets of LPG. I like them both. In person I preffer the climax but both are high end products.

If you are interested send me a PM and I'll send you a link to a guy that sales LPG sets in reasonable prices.
RoyReed

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 02:19 AM »

The problem for me with Climax Protec is seeing it on the ground. It's bad on sand and even worse for me on grass (I'm slightly red/green colourblind). White LPG is definitely better IMHO.

Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom